Hard Gun Case

steve

hey everyone been looking at hard cases for when i get my 30-06.

as i streched the budget a bit on the gun i will be making a timber one with alloy edges like the shotgun cases.

i am going to make it to fit two scoped guns, lockabe and with thick foam inside.

so i am hoping some of you would be able to post up the size of a similer one and i will make it and make a thread so if anyone else wants to make one they will have plans and pictures of mine.

i think i will use 10mm ply with 25x25 aluminum angle around the edges.

as for the hinge i want something sturdy but not sure a piano hinge woule be strong enough.

i am open to ideas so please speak out.

thanks again and ideas are appreciated

steve

I've got a single-rifle Winchester case that is made of aluminium plate.

I wouldn't recommend it actually - pretty cheap and does the job but not great quality. Every time I squash the lid down on my rifle (and I do mean "squash") I feel nervous...seems pretty tight. Maybe I should remove some padding?

Anyway, just as a start, here are the dimensions and some relevant info - remember, its a single rifle case.

OUTSIDE

H: 1255

W: 240

D: 125

INTERNAL

H: 1220

W: 230

D: 105 (?? not totally sure about this one - hard to measure)

Has 4 lockable catches to keep it shut. The locks are very basic and could be opened by my myopic granny with a toothpick.

Has 4 x 35mm hinges on the rear but the hinge pin is "supported" (not quite the right word) by a metal ring that gives it extra strength when closed. Not a whole lot of extra strength though. I'l post photos if you like but suffice to say, they're pretty standard 35mm hinges other than the dinky ring.

Has a handle on the front and on one end - pretty handy (pardon the pun).

That's all the important bits. Be keen to see what you come up with, Steve!

Piano hinge comes in s/s and up to 8ft long, all different sizes,

It will more than handle you hinge problem. Try the Bolt Bloke.

I have a large box to cart my guns away in but they are all stored in soft bags within it,

I wont change this idea, each has its own shocker against the next,

This box becomes a seat while away, and you can put you kitchen gear in it and lock it while your out,4Ft x 1ft 6 square.

If i leave guns in it its locked in the van.

I have made a few gun boxes for people i use form ply or marine ply and s/s piano hinge, which is bolted through the box.

Try the Bolt Bloke mate for piano hinge.

thanks for that info optic,

i have a tool box i was going to convert into a large transport case for the guns.

while i still want to if we went shhoting in a sedan or something i might not be able to fit it in.

ill get some off cuts of timber and have a play.as for the hinges i can get them from lanhams in stainless too.

thanks

steve

Is it worth the stuffing around by the time you buy the wood, hinges, locks, screws, glue and foam,not to mention time, these days they are so cheap to purchase.

Seems like false savings to me ?

I bought a double and a single and they are built from alloy and stainless so they can be thrown around and they are very light even with 2 rifles in them, also the foam you get in them you can remove the pre cut squares to shape your exact rifle so their is zero movement.

Only my opinion as i am sure some would get a kick out of building their own.

Is it worth the stuffing around by the time you buy the wood, hinges, locks, screws, glue and foam,not to mention time, these days they are so cheap to purchase.

I bought a double and a single and they are built from alloy and stainless so they can be thrown around and they are very light even with 2 rifles in them, also the foam you get in them you can remove the pre cut squares to shape your exact rifle so their is zero movement.

Only my opinion as i am sure some would get a kick out of building their own.

i know what your saying mate, as i am a carpenter i can get off cuts of ply and other materials and have the tools i need.

maybe more stuffing around for people with no tools etc, i would buy one if i wasnt a carpenter.

i also enjoy building things myself and if i can to save a few bucks why not, 150 can then be spent on ammo and hunting gear.

thanks

steve

Good call, for me by the time i bought all the stuff i would be going backwards , at least you nearly all the hardware needed.

Dead right Supeng, and waterproof/dustproof too in a commercial hard case.

Wood aint. Holds misture too, bugger that.

mate i made my bow box when i got it. i was working at bunnings and coverboards and damaged stock is cheap. the most expensive part is actually the foam. it cost me 2/3 of the entire project that was for the black bumpy case foam stuff. it was like $100 for a piece 110 x 45 cm.

A bloke I know, property owners son had a beautiful .270 Sako wood factory rifle with a 2-8X Leupold scope fall from the back of his ute at probably 100kmh. The bloke behind him didn't know he had forgotten to take his rifle out of the ute either and saw it cartwheel over and over down the road and into the trees.

Lucky it was in one of those Stamford gun cases he bought in Toowoomba and not pine/plywood, the rifle didn't have a scratch on it, can't say the same for the case though although it looks like giant rubbed it against the side of a bridge, he still uses that case it still works perfectly.

It's the same as the saying we had about bike protective equipment, $10 head, $10 helmet.

hey everyone been looking at hard cases for when i get my 30-06.

as i streched the budget a bit on the gun i will be making a timber one with alloy edges like the shotgun cases.

i am going to make it to fit two scoped guns, lockabe and with thick foam inside.

so i am hoping some of you would be able to post up the size of a similer one and i will make it and make a thread so if anyone else wants to make one they will have plans and pictures of mine.

i think i will use 10mm ply with 25x25 aluminum angle around the edges.

as for the hinge i want something sturdy but not sure a piano hinge woule be strong enough.

i am open to ideas so please speak out.

thanks again and ideas are appreciated

steve

by the time you have bought all your materials you could of just bought this of ebay for $70

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Plano-Pro-MAX-Single-Scoped-Rifle-Case-Hard-Lockable-/180504431032?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Hunting&hash=item2a06e709b8

or this for $90

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Plano-Protector-Double-Rifle-Case-Hard-Lockable-/180504430745?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Hunting&hash=item2a06e70899

Edited by keith-longarms

buy a pelican case that way u can park your 4wd on top of it toget under it easier. they really do hold your car up. used my compercase one more than onse as a wheel chok. also water and dust proof.