Night Vision Monoculars

Jase

Hi guys i would like to hear more about your thermal and gen 3 gear please.

Like whats involved it attaching thermal to a gen3?

Hope you dont mind jase.

at the moment gen 3 is mil grade and is restricted to mil use only and no one will export true gen 3 NV as its a highly restricted item

thermal is similar to IR it is a #### load better than night vision, where NV is good it has many flaws where the lack of ambient light and depth of field and if there is a light source nearby it masked the remaining image, not to mention is you expose the lens during day light has the potential to damage the internal filters rendering you toy useless or leaving a burnt image

where the bonus of thermal you can use during the day or night , you have depth of field you can see object behinf others ie pigs in brushes or low in mud ponds and you have a greater range of vision. plus you can even see your rounds in flight and adjust your fall of shot unlike NV

my honest opinion is if you are going to spend a few K on night vision just wait and save up a bit more and get thermal, its a ###### load better than the crap thats out there now in the NV market

here is a great thermal vid look for the heat trace from the rds

Ill have to have a good look around for thermal gear see whats on the market.

We have moved on from g1 and g2, but we are still playing with them trying different lights etc.

I look forward to any of you guys that are using this gear in the field having your say on its pros and cons, makes ect.

Cheers.

Thermal Imaging can cost a bit too. The thermal cam I use at the fire brigade cost just over $23,000.

But it's unreal. In a cold room, you can see the foot prints of a person wearing work boots.

The biggest cost with thermal imaging is to do with the cooling systems and the lenses. The sensors heat up and start to malfunction. Even our $23,000 camera will have glitches on real hot days after being used for a while. And they can't use glass for the lenses. Can't recall the name of it, but it's not cheap stuff that they use.

Thermal Imaging can cost a bit too. The thermal cam I use at the fire brigade cost just over $23,000.

But it's unreal. In a cold room, you can see the foot prints of a person wearing work boots.

The biggest cost with thermal imaging is to do with the cooling systems and the lenses. The sensors heat up and start to malfunction. Even our $23,000 camera will have glitches on real hot days after being used for a while. And they can't use glass for the lenses. Can't recall the name of it, but it's not cheap stuff that they use.

yep TICs for fire fighting are the in the same scope we also have these at work, the only difference is that one its labeled for rescue use they bump up the price tag by several hundred % but the kit is similar, we are now trialing the colour units at work

yep TICs for fire fighting are the in the same scope we also have these at work, the only difference is that one its labeled for rescue use they bump up the price tag by several hundred % but the kit is similar, we are now trialing the colour units at work

I think they make the thermal lenses out of germanium or silicon. They look black to us.

The latest military thermal units ( and the next big thing in NV devices ) is what's known as Fusion NV. It's a Gen3 tube and a thermal uncooled bolometer based sensor/display all in the same package... It's a little larger than a normal Gen3 tube, but gives an orange overlay to show heat over the green thermal image.

Then you get the best of both worlds - high resolution Gen3 image intensification and thermal data overlaid. The sensors are quite low resolution, but it doesn't matter because they only "enhance" the image.

eg:

It is possible to get Gen3 in Australia even if you're not Mil/Gov/Pol but it's not easy and your choices are limited. As Optic mentioned, our current project is Gen3...

We got first light tonight... I won't say much more until we complete it, but here's a quick F4.0 lens based image ( it was very, very bright tonight... Half moon )

Sorry about the focus... Technical difficulties.

david-gen3-hm-pro1.jpg

David.

I agree, if you are not shooting with NV, then IR is better for picking up aniamls.

I must try and take a photo through my NV gogle and post it up.

That would be great ! :) BTW, are you able to take a pic of the monocular? I'd love to know what kind of monocular the Herc pilot's use... I didn't know of pilot's using single tube NVs before so I'm very curious as to what mono's they'd use.

Cave - there's more IR in that image than is obvious as off to the left, there is a small security camera that operates 24x7... It's not directly on that photo area, but the edge of it ( and reflected light ) would be - about where that really bright tree branch is.

And there's street light in the background.

It was all too bright so I had to reduce the lens aperture down to about 3mm...

David.

Edited by cj7hawk

David has given you a sneak preview into what we are up to now.

And yes with G3 gear. And from DBT Australia. = US GUYS.

We have only just started on this project, and that image is the first image from the proto type. 3 weeks ago we talked about this on the phone and its in action now.

Its a bit rough but we needed to see what sort of result we were going to get.

So i slapped up a body in an hour and shipped it to WA on Monday, Wednesday night its in action. My partner knows his stuff.

This thing is a winner, and aloth its isnt cheap it will be worth having in the hunting box.

Stage one is already working as you have seen, to be followed by stage 2, which may well be stage one converted into stage 2, Doing 2 different jobs if you wish.

In my eyes stage 2 is where the results will be for most people.

For now, thats top secret mans business.

When stage 2 is ready and working.

You lot will be the first to see it and its capabilities on AUShunt OPS.

But please dont hold back on your thoughts, your input can also help us and other hunters

In the end result.

Cheers.