G'day all

Just got back from a Deer trip and no good :(

I think its time to get some binos

Are there any cheapish ones around say around $100?? I wont be doing huge distance couple hundred meteres at the most.

I know the more you spend the better they are but I dont really have that much to blow.

Are second hand ones worth a go for the right price???

Cheers Cam :)

I know what you mean, I never really bothered with binos untill I started getting into dear hunting, it's allways nicer to spot them before they start to bolt when you get too close.

I'm about to buy a pair of swaroski. I have got a pair of Bushnell tactical if you are interested, I think they were going for about $500+ in the LGS. Anyway I suggest you do your own homework.....

Happy to accept 1/2 that as I can't see myself using them after I upgrade. You can only use one pair of binos at a time.

PM me if you want some details and pics etc.

Id say just go and buy the best set u can for your hundred bucks coz i believe binos have helped me 10x in deer stalking by not really seeing deer with them but by slowing me down alot enableing me to be alot quieter and i find i see alot more deer. If its a choice between a $100 pair and none just buy some .

Look on ebay or cabelas i reckon...

joel

Id say just go and buy the best set u can for your hundred bucks coz i believe binos have helped me 10x in deer stalking by not really seeing deer with them but by slowing me down alot enableing me to be alot quieter and i find i see alot more deer. If its a choice between a $100 pair and none just buy some .

Look on ebay or cabelas i reckon...

joel

I probably would have said the same 12 months ago, but I really think that you get a taste for good optics and you can never go back. At the same time, never really missed them until I knew better. As soon as I got my Bushnell's, I gave my minox & hanimex (low end models) to my kids to play with. I don't expect that the difference between Bushnell's and the Swaro's will be as noticeable, I am very happy with the clarity and the picture actually seems even brighter than with just bare eyes due to the hefty 50mm objective. Unfortunately they don't fit into my badlands bino pack. Seems a bit extreme, but I needed some excuse to spend that sort of money on an upgrade.

Never would have thought that I would ever buy a pair of bino's that cost more than My Leupold VXL. Now I'm going to have to upgrade my other scopes so that the VXL is going to be my worst scope.

Spend more on optics than you can afford.

I would say that get ones if you can with around a 40-50mm objective so that they have enough light gathering capability at dawn and dusk when the animals are usually more active. About an 8x zoom is probably best as higher than that might be a bit harder to keep them steady, reduce you field of view when panning and might cause some issues with lower end bino's. I think the higher the magnification the more obvious the inadequacies are in optics.

I have done a ton of research over the last couple of weeks and got sucked right in. Power to you Cam that you have the discipline to make a rational decision, as valid as I consider my comments, I am still trying to substantiate my decision.

I here you :lol:

Good info thanks for that

I should be a women some days love to shop :lol:

Cant help myself I'll do all the research in the world and just see somthing and boom bought it :lol:

If I want somthing and even if i cant really afford it i'll make it work and get it. :D sucks somtimes buy it and then cant afford to use it for a while.

Cheers Cam

Maybe off the topic

I have an old pair which were quite good. I was trying to glass yesterday and I couldn't quite get the two eye pieces focused.I was using it as an monocular. I noticed that there were fog type staining to the inside of the lenses. What I want to know is can I remove the lenses to clean it easily or or are the inside of the binoculars filled with an inert gas which will then render it totally useless.

can I take it to someone to repair it.????

Daggy

Maybe off the topic

I have an old pair which were quite good. I was trying to glass yesterday and I couldn't quite get the two eye pieces focused.I was using it as an monocular. I noticed that there were fog type staining to the inside of the lenses. What I want to know is can I remove the lenses to clean it easily or or are the inside of the binoculars filled with an inert gas which will then render it totally useless.

can I take it to someone to repair it.????

Daggy

What Make/Model/Magnification Daggy. I think that if they are not gassed then they probably are not worth repairing. The fogging might be because the gas may have leaked out.

What Make/Model/Magnification Daggy. I think that if they are not gassed then they probably are not worth repairing. The fogging might be because the gas may have leaked out.

It is a Kassel, 12*50 , field 5 degree they are over 25years old. Had it since new.

Daggy

Jase will let you know how I go

Cabelas have some good quaility ones Im just not sure what the go with shipping is their site says they dont ship overseas from whati can work out maybe i read it wrong

The one i like the look of is Steiner Safari Pro

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Optics/Binoculars%7C/pc/104791680/c/104752080/sc/104217480/Steiner-Safari-Pro-Binoculars/748720.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunting-optics-binoculars%2F_%2FN-1100054%2B10000051%2FNe-10000051%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104217480%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

on sale from $99 to $139 for the bigger ones works out about same as australian dollar buck for buck.

they have a fair few for under a hundred bucks that look sweet.

Can someone let me know what the go with shipping is please

Cheers Cam :)

It is a Kassel, 12*50 , field 5 degree they are over 25years old. Had it since new.

Daggy

Is it Beck Kassel? The little I've heard of them is good. They are a quality German make...That's all I've heard. I think that some of the brands contract optics repair shops to handle warranty work in the capitol cities, so they must be around, if you can spend less than a couple of hundred, I would think it might be worth it, with the price of German optics. But I suppose they can give you a better idea of the value when you ring them.

Is it Beck Kassel? The little I've heard of them is good. They are a quality German make...That's all I've heard. I think that some of the brands contract optics repair shops to handle warranty work in the capitol cities, so they must be around, if you can spend less than a couple of hundred, I would think it might be worth it, with the price of German optics. But I suppose they can give you a better idea of the value when you ring them.

thanks I'll find if I can get it repaired.