Garmin And Shonky Maps

donny

Hey,

I just bought myself a Garmin 60csx and downloaded shonky maps from the internet. The gps unit comes with a world base map and some US maps. MY question is how do I upload shonky maps to my gps? I tried doing it the way mentioned in the readme file but nothing seems to happen.. Has anyone else faced the same problem?

Please help!!!

Thanks guys!!

Edited by donny

Gday mate, I don't know what the read me file says, but from my experience with a recently bought Etrex Vista HCX, I downloaded the maps i wanted to a micro SD card. Thats what the ETREX use, im not sure what your one uses. Then i put the micro card in the GPS and somewhere in the system setup there will be a option for you to select which map to use. You highlight shonkymaps and away you go.

If your unit does not have a memory card and only an internal memory, go looking in the system menus for the map selection.

Edited by michaeljp

Yes it does have a micro sd card.

Im in the same boat trying to get it all working got a Garmin 60csx myself:lol:

Im trying to work out what format Garmin wants to read maps in to put on the sd card ideas?

What are the Shonky maps like? that cost to download?

:)

Cameronpatrol, The format you download it in is what the gps will read. No need to convert it to an special format. Shonky maps are good but not a great deal of detail and they are free. I bought a micro sd card off ebay with garmin topo maps on it from a bloke in Lithuania for $80 delivered. They are much better than shonkymaps.

Ok

ive got rooftop maps and other maps off my old man that are in .MAP but i dont know what the gps wants to read them as to be able to send accross.

I was going to get the sd card garmin maps but i heard you couldnt do much with them on the computer but you could get the same thing as a dvd which you can edit and muck around with the maps.

still might get the garmin ones or check out some others as ive had the gps for a year already and have only done what i used to do with my old one and thats just mark places :lol:

I have sent marks to the computer and through google earth to check out terrain and stuff like that to help me find hunting grounds.

cheers cam

first you download shonkymaps from the internet. http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/

you install the software that came with your gps on your pc. (Mapsource)

then you open the shonkymaps file into mapsource, select the area of Australia that you want or the whole thing.

and click 'transfer to device' - you should have your gps connected to pc.

thats it, as i understand you can only have 1 map active on the device at the one time.

cheers

TM

first you download shonkymaps from the internet. http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/

then you open the shonkymaps file into mapsource, select the area of Australia that you want or the whole thing.

thats it, as i understand you can only have 1 map active on the device at the one time.

cheers

TM

Thanks timber_man... Finally managed to get it.. Great help!!

Thanks timber_man... Finally managed to get it.. Great help!!

Just for future reference. For any issues with GPS's, check this site:

http://gpsunderground.com/forums/index.php

They know the ins and outs of every GPS and can usually fix every problem. I update my maps everytime a new one comes out and have never had any problems.

cheers

TM

That's the way I did it, got the whole of australia on Shonkey :P