Gps Tracking..

assailant

so ive got an android phone (yes im geeky and yes i consider myself non-conformist, hence refusing anything apple branded) and whilst searching the market for some gps software i came across and tried a gps-tracker app.

this app runs on the phone, takes gps data from satellite(s) and then sends it over the phone network to a website as a data broadcast where you can view the location, etc, by logging in to a user account created before starting.

the idea being that the mrs, who is somewhat paranoid, can check up on where i am when out shooting. she can see that im not stuck somewhere but am still driving around enjoying myself.

only trouble is, it wont work without phone reception which as we all know, is never much chop out where the ferals live.

the other problem is, transmitting data uses up your mobile phone plan's data allowance. i dont know how much, but apparently it can be quite a bit.

settings allow you to adjust how often the phone transmits signal from default of every 5s to whatever frequency you like.

anyone used such an app or got any better ideas?

Hi,

I've been on Android for about 8 months now with a HTC Desire. I have tried a few GPS Apps such as Cardio-Trainer and My Tracks, but not an actual GPS tracker. Which one did you install? I just checked out a couple on the market that look fairly simple.

Most Android phones experience fairly poor battery life once you start using one of more of the radio's (GPS/BLUETOOTH/3G/WIFI). I would suggest you install Extended Controls widget or the Power Control widget so you can quickly turn 3G and GPS on and off with one press when you don't need it to be tracking or transmitting. I would turn the 3G on every half an hour or so so it has time to send out your location and then turn it off again. It is one of the biggest users of the battery, particularly if you have a poor signal.

so ive got an android phone (yes im geeky and yes i consider myself non-conformist, hence refusing anything apple branded)

Nice work!! Sorry im only replying to give you a thumbs up on the enti apple bit. Me too. Hate the brand and its crap sheeple minded products!

I installed the My Tracks app and find it pretty good, havent tried one that tracks me for a third party though.... dont want the wife knowing too much lol

+1 to the poor battery life, I also use advanced task killer and every now and then hit that so it kills off apps running in the background. I have the HTC Wildfire, reception is ok but I know in some spots Tomshaws iphone 3gs out performed me in a few spots a while back.

Dont know if you can get the navonics maps which you can get on an iphone but that program works with out reception. I have tried and tested it and works very well. + side is it only costs $15. It is essentialy a ocean navigation programs but still works on land. You can actually use google earth to lay over the mapping. Only just worked out this and not sure if that part of it works with out reception.

Check out this link if you'd like:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5830927/Copilot_Live_Pro_8.0.218_All_Maps_Android_TGCLEADER

Works well on my htc desire as a proper gps which doesnt reqire mobile tower reception. Has all the roads and tracks as with any google map data as thats where the map data comes from. You don't need to download all the maps just the OC map folder, follow the install guide.

If it works well on your phone then I encourage you to buy the "full version" which will also entitle you to updates.

Heres another link:

http://extratorrent.com/torrent/2272477/Daniusoft+Video+Converter+Ultimate+3.0.0.5+Inc+Key.html

This one can capture, cut and covert video files and dvds to the correct format for many of the new phones out there. I've got a few hunting dvds on my phone now for when I've nothing to do at work.

I'd love a topo option too but I haven't found one yet. Might have a better look

They work quite well but the issue for me is the battery life. Don't expect it to replace a dedicated GPS if you're going off track.

Bottom line is rely on it with discretion -- ie. Day trip, not too far off track it's probably fine.

If you're going out off track and at night, over night, bad weather, on your own you need something you can rely on -- Map, compass, dedicated GPS, EPIRB

As for letting the missus know where you are, I think there is also a service you can subscribe to for doing this which uses satellites, It costs a monthly subscription fee for the service, not sure what it's called try googling it. Anyway, it works anywhere and doesn't rely on mobile reception.

Thanks for the link, file is quite large. I'm currently running Gingerbread (Android 2.3). Don't know whether it will be supported by Copilot, but will download when I'm in my off peak hours and find out. I use a program called Super to convert to MP4 for easy playback. You can also use Rockplayer to play AVI's and xvid/divx files.

As for letting the missus know where you are, I think there is also a service you can subscribe to for doing this which uses satellites, It costs a monthly subscription fee for the service, not sure what it's called try googling it. Anyway, it works anywhere and doesn't rely on mobile reception.

accutracking is the name of that service.

gps-tracker app does the same thing for free, but without the pazazz or service support.