Binoculars

I've searched the forums and there have been a couple thread on Binos, what is good and what isn't.

I'm currently using bushnell elite 4200 scopes, and I want to go a little better quality wise for my binos. (Nothing wrong with the 4200, just have a little more $$ to spend now)

I've been pointed in the direction of the Steiner range. I'll be using them for stalking, glassing for pests and on organised culls. The LGS tell me that 8-10 magnification is where I should be looking at, but haven't mentioned anything about the objective sizes.

What do you guys think. My limit is about $800 bucks or just a tad less if I can get something decent. I can't afford swaros or the high end zeiss, so something mid ground will have to do. For the money, are Steiner as good as I'll get or are there other brands I can look at.

Jase

Steiner make good bino's and you can't go wrong with them. If you do go Steiner, recommend you get the predator c5's. Other binos around that price that I don't have any personal experience with but have heard good things about are the Minox range, Meopta range, Leupold Mojaves, Vortex Vipers, Nikon Monarchs, Burris Signatures.

I love my Steiners, for general hunting I use mine more than my Leicas as they do a good job and I don't mind if the get a bit bashed around. Check out Optics Planet below for their prices on binos. They're an American mob, but you'll probably be able to get yourself a decent pair of binos for alot cheaper than you can here in Australia

http://www.opticsplanet.net/steiner-predator-c5-10x42-waterproof-binoculars-250.html

I was directed to birdwatching forums as they are fussy about binos.I ended up buying pentax 10x43 dcf sp from adorama.com in their end of year sale for $560 au delivered, and I am very happy so far.They were compared favourably to zeiss, swaro,etc

leupold mojaves or vixen aTrecks. anything that has a reputable name and is rated well, and feels confortable should be good. most large optic makers are getting more even every day! just shop around and find a good buy

Geez that put's my $25 Simmons from Cabellas to shame, but I can see the bullet hits on the steel rams out at 500m with ease, my bino's are allways being borrowed for people to spot with, I would say thay are as clear as the bushnell 6500 elite I have on my rifle.

Edit to add link

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=720912&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=c656dd69ac1070557f548eed69e2ac2e&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat105591780%3Bcat105675480%3Bcat105676380&destination=/checkout/basket.jsp

Edited by Brendan Mc