Warmest Ridgeline Jacket

Was with a mate today at Queensland Gun Exchange. He paid $199 for a Torrent jacket, as we are headed to west Qld in July, and will be doing a lot of spotlighting.

We did the same last July and froze solid. One morning was -3. (Ok not so cold for you who are southerners but we're from Qld).

I have seen other Ridgeline jackets in catalogs or online...those being the Grizzly and the Roar II.

So out of the 3, which is warmest?

Thanks for your opinions.

Others on here may have better knowledge and offer something different,

However it is my understanding that the Roar and the Torrent Jackets do not offer a great deal of warmth by themselves.

They are windproof and offer greater warmth when you are wearing a jumper underneath and layer your clothing.

I am not too sure about the Grizzly Jacket, but I know a couple of guys who have the Roar II and they really like them.

Actually I plan on purchasing one in Olive over the next couple of weeks.

Greg

Edited by GMac

Three questions about the Stoney Creek gear then.

What about the Sika? The Sika and the Sambar jackets seem to be very similiar.

The Stoney Creek jackets are 90% windproof. Ridgeline say their jackets are 100% windproof. Is this an appreciable difference?

Where can you look at Stoney Creek jackets in Brisbane? This trip I'm taking my Dri-Rider motorbike jacket with warm insert jacket

and if I'm still cold, I may buy Stoney Creek for the trip after instead.

it is all about layering my friend.

The top shell or jacket helps keep the rain and or wind away.

the next layer down is to insulate (you may want 2 layers if it is really cold) You can get wind proof fleece for this layer if it is really chilly wind.

Then you have a base layer or thermals.

Then you can just chop and change the combos to find the right amount of warmth for where you are at.

If you buy a bulky jacket that is insulated you will never wear it unless it is freezing. A shell jacket can be worn like a rain coat in warmer weather without cooking you. And the insulating layers can be worn like normal jumpers. If you buy thermals from stoney creek or similar, they are green or grey and can be worn like a normal shirt around camp without looking ridiculous like some of them stripey thermals. Some of the new thermals are pretty comfy to wear as a shirt even when it is not freezing. And the best upgrade to new thermals and socks is the addition of silver into the thread which helps to stop them stinking after a day or two in the bush.

it is all about layering my friend.

The top shell or jacket helps keep the rain and or wind away.

the next layer down is to insulate (you may want 2 layers if it is really cold) You can get wind proof fleece for this layer if it is really chilly wind.

Then you have a base layer or thermals.

Then you can just chop and change the combos to find the right amount of warmth for where you are at.

If you buy a bulky jacket that is insulated you will never wear it unless it is freezing. A shell jacket can be worn like a rain coat in warmer weather without cooking you. And the insulating layers can be worn like normal jumpers. If you buy thermals from stoney creek or similar, they are green or grey and can be worn like a normal shirt around camp without looking ridiculous like some of them stripey thermals. Some of the new thermals are pretty comfy to wear as a shirt even when it is not freezing. And the best upgrade to new thermals and socks is the addition of silver into the thread which helps to stop them stinking after a day or two in the bush.

+1 Spot on about the layering.

I get soooo cold but I discovered "Icebreaker". That's a pure wool layering system by our friends the kiwis. No more cold for me. That way you are not burdened with a big bulky outer jacket and you can wear your not so warm jacket on top.

Coincidentally I bought one of those Roar jackets in buffalo cam from Cleavers Thursday, and tried it over a wet cold weekend, and it's not warm at all.

After some grumbling I realised it's the layering thing, if it's too warm you can't hunt in it, I just wore a polar fleece top under and it was awesome.

When walking as you warm, at around 8 degrees, it's perfect over a long sleeve cotton shirt, and out spotlighting in -4 as it was friday night, over polar fleece it was fine.

It was totally waterproof and windproof though, but cold is transmitted through from the wind outside, you need that inner layer extra that you can take off as/if it warms.

Funny thing though, my deer were always trying to eat it, taking bites all the time when I wore it near them, they must really be fooled by the camo pattern. True, no bullsh1t.

Was with a mate today at Queensland Gun Exchange. He paid $199 for a Torrent jacket, as we are headed to west Qld in July, and will be doing a lot of spotlighting.

I bought a Torrent to take on a Tahr and Chamois hunt in NZ south island mountains last winter. At the same time got a couple of top-to-toe packs. I wore thermals, Ridgeline fleece T, fleece shirt that was warm enough during the day. Had the Torrent in my back pack and put it on when sunlight faded. We had perfect weather. I agree with the others layering is the thing. Though the Torrent would be great if windy (like spotlighting at night in the back of ute/truck) or if raining. Torrent are wind and water proof.

13_Peter_at_Bellbird_Lookout.JPG

Edited by magnum

I agree with the layering train of thought. I got stuck in Mansfield last night with a torrent, but also with a mountain design vest, shirt and snug fitting tshirt. Paired with gortex gators and Meindl boots, warm as toast. I reckon its all in the vest, keep the core insulated.

Yeah we all know about layering. I was never expecting to wear a S/S shirt and one jacket. We were layered last year but we still froze.

We look like Michelin Men in our photos.

I had about 7 layers on, one was a heavy army jumper, the last a Drizabone, a hoody also with silk balaclava and a woollen balaclava.

This year was not so cold but we were warm as. My mate had his windproof gear as above ie Torrent jacket and pants, I had thermals and my motorbike jacket and pants

and they are fairly windproof. I think the windproofing is the key.

I'd rather something like the Southern Hunter Jacket from Blackfoot Designs.

The camo is much better than any of the ridgeline stuff and Dave will make it to your custom size if need be.

badlands-x-06.jpg

Looks great, fantastic camo, but not waterproof?

If not waterproof, it's not the jacket for the one jacket hunter, or the one to be caught out in should it start to rain.

If they are please tell me, as I want one if that's the case.

Rain is the best time for the hunter, so a layer type jacket that is totally water and windproof, that has a great hood to keep the head warm and shadow the face, a waterproof bumbag like a Monster, as well as a rifle that doesn't mind being rained on for hours makes it very warm, dry and enjoyable.

And the Torrent jacket is a faultless thing, and works perfectly both on cold dry mornings as it does on 5 degrees C days when it's also raining - when the rain is blowing accross at 45 degrees in a howling wind.