Bushnell Backtracker Unit

Hi all,

Am saving up for a good quality GPS unit but in the mean time was thinking about grabbing one of these for 60$ for that extra piece of mind when out wandering about. Does anybody use one?

Bushnell Backtracker

Cheers

Rowes

Cheers guys,

as a minimum i think i will go for the backtracker, Fireman_DJ, why did you go and do that lol, now i am wondering if the wife will notice just that 'little bit more' gone from the account... have had a look at the etrex and am looking at this one (just quietly) Etrex GPS, it would be right at the top end of the budget though because i only just put in an order for a foxpro spitfire... only reason why i am getting away with this little gps as well is because the wife is a photographer and she needed some new equipment so i kinda slipped those in while agreeing she would really benefit from her new gear :sword: i just cant push it to far :lol:

Those backtrackers are a very basic unit. They are that price for a reason and I'd hate to be relying on it in an emergency.

They don't give you your coordinates, they only tell you which direction to go, so you can't use them in conjunction with a map. Also, the buttons to set your start position is very easy to knock. If you do, your start pos will be replaced...

So make sure you're aware of it's limitations before you go relying on it...

Cheers Duncs.

I dont go anywhere at the moment that i couldn't get out to a road at least after a good hike and i make sure i know what lies in each direction b4 i go and i always have a printed map and my trusty compass. its more of an additional backup till such a time as i can get something of with a load more features. good to be aware of the button issues too cheers.

I bought the backtracker d-tour. Gives you a few more options, 5 waypoints, coordinates, can sync with your PC(has built in memory), time, temp etc. Still a very basic unit, but its built a little tougher than most cheap ones.

I went walking with a mate and we tested it along side his Garmin unit, told us the correct distance and direction.

Little tip- when you turn it on and mark your points, try not to be next to any big metal objects(car/shed), i was told this can throw them out a little, even tho when I tested mine I turned it on and left it on my car roof and was right next to my car when i marked it, and it was still accurate.

Thanks for the tip pazzo, yeah i nearly went for the next one up with 5 waypoints and then nearly a step further again with a garmin etrex but after sleeping on it came back down to the original thought process of keeping it really basic as a temporary one. other wise it would just take longer to save for the higher end one.