Using Video Equipment In The Field? Your Experience

Trizzo

I got a shiny new HD camera for Xmas and with the business end of hunting fast approaching im wanting to get out there and take some decent videos. I was wondering if you had any experience and what your suggestions might be. What you needed, what worked and what you learnt from your experience? For example, did you you lug a tripod around? How many batteries and spare "tape"? Editing software? Did you develop any systems/behavior for effective filming? How many people were needed?

A friend also has a Go Pro, how did you effectivly use it if you've had any experience with them?

Any good accessories that helped?

I'm getting used to the camera and what it can do but any tips any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you

I got a shiny new HD camera for Xmas and with the business end of hunting fast approaching im wanting to get out there and take some decent videos. I was wondering if you had any experience and what your suggestions might be. What you needed, what worked and what you learnt from your experience? For example, did you you lug a tripod around? How many batteries and spare "tape"? Editing software? Did you develop any systems/behavior for effective filming? How many people were needed?

A friend also has a Go Pro, how did you effectivly use it if you've had any experience with them?

Any good accessories that helped?

I'm getting used to the camera and what it can do but any tips any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you

If you have an external microphone input I would use a Rode video mic pro in place of the camera on-board mic - I have one and like it

http://www.cnet.com.au/rode-videomic-pro-339317926.htm

This a good quality lightweight tripod with a ball head for use in the field - I have one and like it

http://thrumylens.org/photography/equipment/a-review-of-the-manfrotto-mkc3-h01/

I'll PM you as you have lots of questions to answer.

I've got a WINGMAN HD which has been fantastic (make sure you get the waterproof case with it).

HD video and pretty steady even when hand held. There are so many quality carbon fiber tripods out there that are very light weight and easy to carry, so I'd always recommend one as an option. You're better to have it when required than not.