Knife Sharpener

cameronpatrol

G'day all,

Ive come across a knife sharener that was in the kitchen which i dont remeber buying.

so must have been the inlaws.

Its a red box about 100mm long that one part slides out to bare a rounded stone with a V in it.

its got little grooves on an angle.

a mate rekons he's got one like it and you fill it with water. and then sharpen your knife.

Its made by the swiss because its written on it and theres a swiss army knife symbol on it.

so the question is can I use it on my new boning knife?? or will it stuff it??

ive got a steel should i just use that to keep the edge??

ive used the sharpener with the scanpan knives and it seem to sharpen them pretty well.

or should I wait and use a proper diamond plate to sharpen it??

thoughts? anyone got one?

cheers cam

Im a bit anal about what goes near my knifes.

And that includes people using them.

There are a heap of things on the market cam.

They all work, but do they damage the blade by removing to much metal.

Also do they let the blade get hot, because if it changes color its rooted.

Thats why i use the set up i have, im sure you have seen it in action?

I dont have to worry about heat or the angle.

Look back through old posts and you will see some of us have close to the same bit of kit.

The same idea what ever the make up is.

Altona Hunter.

made this jig a couple of years back for sharpening kitchen knives and machettes. I have been planning to make a better one with rollers and proper clamps as i have a milling machine now but it does the job for now. I use a lansky sharpener with diamond stones for smaller knives.

post-4548-0-79242000-1310534085_thumb.jpg

I have never met this bloke, but there is little difference in out sharpeners.

The last thing i ever want is a run in with one of my knifes. Thus the steel glove.

I'm pretty Amal about my kitchen knives being sharp too. I used to use the wet stone and steel metod. But now I use a pull through sharpener, first disc steel, second porcelain or ceramic. I always follow up the pull through with my ceramic 'steel'. My sharp test is the shave test, and this works for me..

speaking on steels what types are there?

Ive just used the mrs steel from a big set its just steel i dont think it did sweet FA

is there diamond steels? what sht ego with ceramic steels?

more so what the best one to use?

im slowy trying to get a kit together and want to get the good gear as it probaly will be a buy once and keep it sort of thing.

cheers

Well, I wouldn't use that 'sharpener' on a quality knife. Fine for cheapo kitchen knives, but that's about it.

Diamond 'steels' are something to be a bit wary of; they tend to take a lot of metal off quickly. So you have to have your angles right.

Steeling a knife is really a burnishing process, and shouldn't remove much metal at all. Stones are the go for that.

For conventional butchers' steels, about the best ones around are the F Dick hard chromed ones. Not cheap, but top quality never is. There are a lot of 'plain' steels around, that have far too much depth of cut on them, and some of them are chrome plated over the top of this. Traditionally, the first task for a butcher on buying a new steel, was to take the cut back with emery cloth.

ah ok

makes a lot of sence.

as in not taking heaps of metal off.

from what ive learnt and heard plates/stones are for the sharping

and steels are just to keep the edge?

and if youve got a knick in the blade the steel wont fix it.

thanks fellas so ill look for a pretty good metal steel then.

i sat on the couch last night using the steel on my knife for a bit

seems pretty sharp.

will wait and see on saturday when i butcher the two lambs.

worse case if i cant get and keep it sharp ill wip out the havalon knife and just change blades :lol:

oh and ill stay away from that red sharpener. thanks for that.

did look rough using it on sh!ty knives.

Yep, you've got it, steels are to maintain the edge without removing metal, and stones [carborundum, aluminium oxide or diamond] to reshape the edge [reduce the shoulder, or take the edge back to remove nicks] at much longer intervals. BTW, conventional stones are a bit painfully slow for taking an edge back, to remove major nicks/chips. Diamond bench stone, or better, a belt linisher for that job.

Short steels that will fit in a day pack are available, but for a maintenance steel for home, one in the 250-300mm range is the go.

F Dick make a range of steels that can be a bit bewildering [different cuts in round, oval, flat and square sections], but the standard cut round 300mm model has served me well for years. That will handle the longest knives [300mm blade] that I have, no problem.

If you're passing through the Melbourne CBD, there are a couple of catering industry supplies shops in Elizabeth Street; Cuisine World at No. 245 or London & American Supply Stores at No. 483.

Or a search for 'F Dick steels' on Google or FleaBay will bring up some mail order suppliers.