Went Into 2 Gunshops...puzzled!

NightHUNTER

I have decided to take more attention to night hunting since its the only hunting option i really have on the farm, and time is bloody scarce.

thinking about buying a LF scope mount setup (got a mates mounted spottie on the ute's roof).

Went into two gunshops who only stock LF and asked them how well this product sold. They said they sell "#### all" of the scope mount set-ups!

I know i've been through this before on the forum starter (me) night hunting alone....... but Im still sus. <_<

If so many people hunt ALONE why arnt they selling any! ???????

its eitha a product failure or the market just does dont want it.

I have decided to take more attention to night hunting since its the only hunting option i really have on the farm, and time is bloody scarce.

thinking about buying a LF scope mount setup (got a mates mounted spottie on the ute's roof).

Went into two gunshops who only stock LF and asked them how well this product sold. They said they sell "#### all" of the scope mount set-ups!

I know i've been through this before on the forum starter (me) night hunting alone....... but Im still sus. <_<

If so many people hunt ALONE why arnt they selling any! ???????

its eitha a product failure or the market just does dont want it.

probably because most aussies are rather lazy and would prefer to be blasting off from the comfort of their vehicles :)

probably because most aussies are rather lazy and would prefer to be blasting off from the comfort of their vehicles :)

lol to bloody true almost ALL the spot lighters i know only go in the ute.........almost all of my hunting was on foot

i only got in to ute spotlighting by going with other peaple......and found how easy it is :P

I use my scope mounted spotty from the ute as I find it easier to track the ferals when looking through the scope. Its a bit hard when your alone and the roof mounted light needs to be moved when the animal moves or is on the move just when your about to fire.

I use the roof mounted when there is someone with me.

The light doesnt belong to me, but my mate uses a small century battery, but i have been warned off these as these can leak and the acid do a nice job on your back :(

But we get plenty of use out of it.. where we can we drive around with the light off the scope and then when we see eyes put it on the scope and go for a stalk.

But we have also used it just walking around steep cattle ruined hills where a vehicle isnt an option

Some of us spotlight from the comfort of a vehicle for a purpose! and trust me after 8hrs + a night in a ute round shitbox paddocks :angry: its anyhting but comfortable.

but it is not feasable to shoot roo any other way.

In my opinion scope mounted spotlights are arkward and such can have effects on your shot placement. a roof or head board mounted light is much more effeicent :D . i shoot on my own 90% of the time and have no trouble shooting and moving the light even on fast departing mobs of pigs.

cheers J

probably the reason they don't sell to many is that they are not used much by the commercial guys like JGNDI

they are only really used by average joe who will get out and go for a walk at night - when we go spotlighting -- its usually a fair whip around the property before we hit the cans for the night

I would like one but not sure on what they are worth

my thinking is never point a gun at anything that you don't want to shoot - with the rifle mounted light as you scan with the light you are effectively scanning with the rifle aswell - unless you have a second spotty to scan with

my thoughts anyway

when we go spotlighting -- its usually a fair whip around the property before we hit the cans for the night

there the goods mate. might have to line me up one of those trips. :D

I realise that the "average joe" wants to be able to walk without holding a bloody light. and for that purpose you probably wont come acroos a better idea.

but on a different note walking round the scrub of a night alone ain't the best idea.

should something go wrong you can be away from your vehicle and further from help :( . something to think about.

sounds like they are a good option despite the lack of sales.

i love the whole stalk and walk thing so it has to be worth it.

what other option is there really anyway.

i will probably start to reside in the vehicle come next year, you are probably right: 'people get lazy and its much more comfortable' esp on the cold nights :)

hey night hunter, if they dont seem keen to sell you the light force kit and arnt throwing alternatives at you maybee they dont like you :lol:

just kidding mate, if those lf set ups wernt popular then l/f would stop making them. it could be that there just not big in your area (yet).

i know of a few people that have them and they arnt as heavy as i thought they would be, but im still big on the LED headlamp.

What do you shoot? The LED head lamp would put no light out would it?

Are you more concerned with light ouput or battery run time? - whats do you get if you dont get great light output I guess is what im asking?

Cheers,

night hunter. :)

i use mine on foxes and rabits mainly, it shines to about 90 to 110 metres but ionly ever take shots out to about 40 or 50 and at that range it givs good light up of an area (not the spread of a spottie ) and works well for me(when alone). mine runs off the usual 3 aa bats but allso has a belt clip that holds 4 c bats to give it better performance.

sorry it took so long to reply

haze

I've tried the head lamp idea and found it too difficult to line everything up when using a rifle...it might work with a shotgun though...

Personally I use a scope mounted lamp called a lazerlite for both foxes and rabbits...Its got a 12v 50w xeon bulb and a 4" relector...In practice, it something like a 170 Lightforce.

Its a real PITA especially at first when the wires get tangled ect, but eventually you work it out...It allows me to go places that a 4x4 can't...Its usually mounted on my .223 along with a harris bipod...I need to get a higher bipod to allow for sitting shots as very often the terrain obsures the fox when you get down prone to shoot.

The mount on my lamp is not really quick de-attachable...I am thinking of modifing it to a bayonet style fixing..That way i can scan the ground with the lamp hand held, and then quickly and quietly attach it to the scope for the shot...

I have also shot from a vehicle and one of the best aspects of this is the height...But if thats not possible, a scope mounted lamp does work and you will take foxes with it, it just takes more persistance thats all..

Regards,

Pete

I was given a Light Force scope mount spottie. It is great for a lone short walk around smaller hunting properties or rough terrain (where you can't drive). It's very awkward from a vehicle by yourself, because you either have to wave your rifle around out the window, or dismount the light (and then remount it quickly when you spot something).

The LF battery kits for it are very expensive and don't have much endurance. I bought a sealed motorcycle battery, and cigarette lighter plug set from the auto parts store for less than half the price. This set up gives ample power for longer than it takes to walk four kms or so. No worries about acid leaking.

Scanning with the rifle isn't the safest practice, but there aint much choice for solo spotlighting. Best to leave the chamber empty and open. Of course you could spend thousands of dollars on some second rate Russian night vision goggles and a laser aiming device!

Cheers

Here is my monolgue - hope it is uesful

I use the lightforce 140 striker more and more - for walk about spotlighting on rabbits and the odd fox. Picked up aroudn 20 bunnies the weekend before last with it. I find it works well sometimes better than others but overall it is definately an integral part of my hunting kit. I have had some troubles with the rig ( a one off issue, probably from storage at the gun shop) but mentioned it to ligtforce recently and they were very good about having it repaired at their expense - much better than expected

I have mounts on the scopes of my rimfire, .223 and shotgun and it works well on all of these - though I mostly use the rimfire at night. I have some velcro on the back of the switch and on the rifle which I use to attach the switch to the rifle so I can work it with my left hand

I typically use it with a red filter ( the bunnies where I go are very twitchy and the red filter gives a bit more time to get a shor off) and a harris long (sitting) tilt adjutable bipod and a LED headlamp with both red and white leds

I walk to an area using the red led. Do a quick scan with the LF light and if spot something switch off, drop into sitting postion and line up before switching the light on again and going for the shot. This method also preseveres battery life so I get more than an hour of hunting off each battery

For batteries and chargers just get them from Battery World - much cheaper than going through a gun shop - and you get fresher batteries. They are very common - the same as used in burglar alarms either 7ah or 9ah - much smaller, safer and easier to carry than car batteries

Note they need to be kept charged up and are not intended for deep drain - so when they dim in the field swap em over and make sure they stay charged when at home.

If you don't want to buy a ligtforce battery kit holster just stick the battery in a backpack or in a fanny pack or ammo puch attached to a webbing belt. The shoulder strap option on the LF by itself doesn't work for me as it flopps around at inconvenient times - attaching to a wide belt (through the loops provided)works better for me

here ends the monologue