My Knife

gafloss

The blades came ground & etched but not sharpened at all (about 1mm thick at edge).

Scott, the scales were from here: http://stores.ebay.com.au/Turning-Timbers?_rdc=1

Blade was from eBay - seller located in Jaipur but no longer selling. Similar to this one (could even be the same now I look at it): http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/your_blade/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I generally don't buy off ebay unless the seller has a rating of at least 99%.

The blades came ground & etched but not sharpened at all (about 1mm thick at edge).

Scott, the scales were from here: http://stores.ebay.com.au/Turning-Timbers?_rdc=1

Blade was from eBay - seller located in Jaipur but no longer selling. Similar to this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/your_blade/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I generally don't buy off ebay unless the seller has a rating of at least 99%.

Thanks for that Geoff, I will have a look into that in the new year! :thumbsu: looks like a great place to start with the knife making experience.

Thanks for that Geoff, I will have a look into that in the new year! :thumbsu: looks like a great place to start with the knife making experience.

Yep, start with cheap stuff & work your way up to quality components.

Yep, start with cheap stuff & work your way up to quality components.

Yeah I reckon that's the way to go mate, I can handle muffing a cheapy but something that cost a good whack, well I'd be real ticked at myself if I muffed that one! Any tips and tricks one has to know about the knife making caper?

I've not used it, Richard, but walnut should be very nice & fairly stable - that's why they use it for gun stocks. A lot of knife makers use Tru-Oil (gun stock finish) on their knife handles.

Walnut burl would make a beautiful handle.

Dont have any Walnut burl.

I did have a few red gum burls, but i sold them off on ebay.

I have a mate that might have a bit of red gum burl, Most of the red gum stuff is to ratty.

Full of holes.

I do have some branches off the Walnut tree here measuring up to around 100mm in dia.

I have kept them, so ill polish up a bit and see what its like.

These are dead branches so they are dried out.

I've been told that red gum isn't particularly good for knives as the grain is too open. The walnut should be OK - worth the effort in dressing a bit to find out, anyway.

Really nice work there Gaflos. I think the blade on the first knife will hold an edge better than the second. I remember being told by a blacksmith many years ago when he made my first damascus blade that the tighter the pattern the higher quality the blade, an open patten usually means a weaker blade. JMO though.

The sheath looks a quality piece of kit as well, I would be very happy to have that one on my belt with the knife you made mate :thumbsu:

Paul

Yeah mate great work on the knife and the sheath , it gives you a different sense of ownership when you make something yourself .

Look forward to the next one , keep up the great work.

Thanks, guys.

Working on another one (not damascus) but it's just too damn hot in the garage at the moment.

I've ordered a few classic Russell Green River blades to muck muck around with - should be nice dressed up with some Aussie hardwoods.

To hot in the shed I know what your talking about I reckon mine was about 60c the other day

Western Myall would be a good knife handle I think with its contrasting colours

Yeah we had three days in a row over 40c and the last one was 47 with howling northerlys

Gotta love summer in SA