Lion killer knife

Rifletuner

If you dont know the story of Harry Wolhuter and his "lion killer" knife, its definitely worth a read: https://southafrica.co.za/legend-of-harry-wolhuter.html

The knife itself was made by Thomas Williams Butchers Cutler in London and was from a pattern commonly used for slaughtering sheep in the 1800s. I used the template produced by Pops Knife Supply: https://popsknife.supplies/pages/lion-killer to make my knife.

The blade is 3mm SF100 stainless, with a full flat grind and a tapered tang. The handle is gidgee scales with thin red G10 liners, brass pins & a brass mosaic lanyard tube. Handle finish is hand rubbed Aussie oil.

IMG-4930.jpg

IMG-4933.jpg

IMG-4936.jpg

IMG-4939-1.jpg

Edited by Rifletuner
  • Like 9

7 hours ago, Rifletuner said:

f you dont know the story of Harry Wolhuter

I`ve been a fan of HW for 20 odd years ever since reading of the saga `tween him and the  lion.

The black fellas refused to believe that he killed a lion with a knife until they followed the blood trail and found it dead...from gone to hero in minutes and they worshipped him from then on.

The knife looks bloody great RT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, advpat said:

Beautiful knife

Thanks mate 👍

1 hour ago, gryphon said:

I`ve been a fan of HW for 20 odd years ever since reading of the saga `tween him and the  lion.

The black fellas refused to believe that he killed a lion with a knife until they followed the blood trail and found it dead...from gone to hero in minutes and they worshipped him from then on.

The knife looks bloody great RT.

Thanks mate 👍 Its definitely an interesting story. I wonder how many people today would fight back with a knife under those circumstances?

• Like 1

On 27/01/2024 at 1:01 PM, Timb0 said:

That is a very beautiful Knife!  I especially like the handle.

What is SF-100 like? Possibly similar to AEB-L?

Thanks mate. Yes, SF100 is similar to AEBL. I haven't used that particular knife, but other knives Ive made from SF100 have performed pretty well.