Creating Maps

mickgibbo

I have started makeing maps of areas that I hunt and was wondering if anyone else has been doing similar? I have made a map for Nundle and calibrated it so that it can be used with ozi explorer.

What I was wondering is if anyone else has done similar and how do you calibrate your map?

Here is a super minimised map of Nundle as an example.

NundleHuntmap.jpg

and for state forests how do you accurately map the exclusion zones of the average maps that they give out.

Guest zx9john

hey gibbo - are you using the pocket pc component of ozi-explorer?

I was going to give raster mapping a go but it all seemed too hard and then google maps came along for free so I stopped trying to find a copy of ozi-explorer that i could "evaluate"

as for transposing an exclusion zone from one map to another - it would be next to impossible without designated landmarks, a scale and an accurate orientation listed. hatching out area's of a mud map is a very silly way of setting up zones - what they should do is specify a measured radial arc from a given set of coordinates - that way people could set those locations as waypoints to be avoided and receive a warning if you come too close.

Im using the full version as I just use it off a laptop. I couldnt justify the GPS component of the Pocket PC when I already had a good GPS.

I have fould the google maps good for areas close up but cant join them to make a decent map. I have been using the lands department maps to make my aerial topos, and have fould they definaly have enough detail.

I mainly use Ozi to see where I have been and to get a good idea of landmarks by putting waypoints on them.

I agree the exclusion zones are near impossible to follow on the maps they currently provide, unless the map follows a road, hopefyully that will improve soon.

You can calibrate your GC map with Ozi and trace the boundaries with a track and overlay it onto any other map you have in Ozi. It will tell you pretty close where the exclusion zones start, and when you are looking you see that the exclusion zone boundaries follow (mostly) landmarks on the ground so you can adjust the track to suit.

examples

bondogrouparea.jpg

weejaspergrouparea.jpg

I do similar things but with more detailed 1-25000 , 1-50000 scale maps.

That is the big plus of using OziExplorer, you can use any map you like and at any scale it comes in :D

This way I can navigate upto within a few meters of an exclusion zone if I wish.

Seeing as how the maps are not guaranteed to be accurate you are taking a risk.

An example from last year to illistrate....

Some hunters found some goats and stalked in and shot them. A goat bolted and they chased it to be confronted by a leaseholder who claimed they were on his land (forestry lease). These guys had to front the police and the GC for formal interviews (that equals days off work) and had the threat of fines and loss of their licences hanging over their head for quite some time. In due course the police, forestry and the lessee met at the spot to discuss the ownership of the spot where the goat was dispatched and the lessee claimed it was his land (by over 50 metres), Forests NSW claimed it was not (by over 100 metres) and the police just told them that unless there could be some agreement (a real and properly surveyed plot) then it wasn't clear it was any business of the police to be involved.

The point

Do you want to be involved in such a process yourself? or do you want to play it safe and stay away from boundaries that aren't clearly demarcated by a fence or a road?

I have made some much better maps since the new six viewer data is available. I then calibrate them with ozi and away I go.

These maps put me within metres of where I need to be.

The topos are alright but I find the sat photos 20x better than the tops for looking for new spots.

I have mad these for every forest I hunt.

post-69-1199968076_thumb.jpg

I have made some much better maps since the new six viewer data is available. I then calibrate them with ozi and away I go.

These maps put me within metres of where I need to be.

The topos are alright but I find the sat photos 20x better than the tops for looking for new spots.

I have mad these for every forest I hunt.

post-69-1199968076_thumb.jpg

X 2 copys mate

Gunner

I take away paper versions that I fold up in my pocket and also have the laptop under the seat if I want to look up something in super detail, but I normally have this done before I leave.

I prefer the Lat/Lon for the exact reason you like UTM it was what I learnt on and understand.

I do have a topo with me as well to see contour lines, luckily I dont have to make those ones I have the whole of NSW covered on dvd.

I only use the GPS for points that I have all over my maps.

I am well aware of the horizontal and vertical accuracy of topographic maps and the average accuracy of GPS plus the fact the forestry maps supplied to the game council are not guaranteed to be accurate either. When I said a few meters I did not mean 2 or 3 meters I meant 200 or so.

and I did say *** IF I WISH ***

You are right it was bad wording on my part. However I can assure you that I dont take any risks and stay well clear of the boarders of the exclusion zones.

All I know is that I would rather use my map than the one you have displayed to take a grid reference to predict a safe distance .

I have not shown the grid reference information around the outside of the sheet.

Quote you said, " or do you want to play it safe and stay away from boundaries that aren't clearly demarcated by a fence or a road? "

If you think I need a road or fence to know exactly where I am in the forest , then I dont think you know much about real navigation techniques .

I posted my map without any sniping at yours mate so ease up.

I posted that example to show others reading this thread that there are consequences to making mistakes, if you see it as "sniping" then I can't help that. The questions at the end of my post were rhetorical and not directed only to you but to make others think about how they conduct themselves in the SF's. That was all I intended to do in that post (help others stay out of trouble) and I don't apologise for that.

It is the practice of Forests NSW to use roads and fences (and creeks) to demarcate a boundary when possible, and obviously in that case hunters don't need to be uber-navigators to be just metres from the boundary and be hunting legally.

Those maps I posted are to illustrate a point, and the scale was chosen so that the whole forest would fit into the picture. For those that don't use OziExplorer, the tracks you save as boundaries for your forest (and it's exclusion zones) are saved as a separate file and can be overlaid onto any scale map you have access to. HJ, I could have used a 1/25k map for the illustration but it would have only shown a small area some 5 or 6 kilometers across (as yours does). When it comes time to hunt you can print out any scale map you want to load. I attached an example of part of those forests in 1/25k scale...

The tracks can also be loaded directly into a mapping GPS so you can see them on the screen while hunting. I have used this feature to hunt forests that directly border NP's. Of course a paper map (laminated) is carried also, as well as a compass.

Mick

The Six Viewer is a real bonus for people who like their info :D

I have made a bunch of maps for my hunting areas with the "East Coast Aerial Photos" and put them in Ozi. I zoom to where I like the detail in Six and then take screen shots. I overlap the screen shots and then use stitch in my photo editing program to join them all together. I then calibrate it using landmarks like road intersections that I can find on the 1/25k maps. It works great.

post-30-1200005430_thumb.jpg

post-30-1200005460_thumb.jpg

Mick

The Six Viewer is a real bonus for people who like their info :D

I have made a bunch of maps for my hunting areas with the "East Coast Aerial Photos" and put them in Ozi. I zoom to where I like the detail in Six and then take screen shots. I overlap the screen shots and then use stitch in my photo editing program to join them all together. I then calibrate it using landmarks like road intersections that I can find on the 1/25k maps. It works great.

Same here, love the data. This is when it helpd to have big Duel Monitors to aid in the massive amount of screen dumps.

Stop being so precious, I only commented on your claim you could "navigate upto within a few meters of an exclusion zone if I wish", something you have admitted you could have worded better. If in fact you are referring to this...

Seeing as how the maps are not guaranteed to be accurate you are taking a risk.

I was not referring to YOUR maps, but to the maps supplied by Forests NSW which are subject to the same inaccuracies as any transposed information is and can not be relied upon to show boundaries with enough accuracy to allow you to be positive in your legal status whilst hunting the edge of the forest, hence my example of the goat shooter. You can claim all you want that you are "in the right" when you are challenged by a forests neighbour but you can't guarantee that you are correct and while it is sorted out it will be costing you money and possibly your right to hunt.

The maps supplied by Lands are not guaranteed to be accurate and so neither can it be said any map one of us makes relying on their info is so guaranteed.

Directly from the Lands Six website....

Copyright in the Lands material on the site is owned by Department of Lands for and on behalf of the New South Wales State Government. While the material has been created with all due care, Lands does not warrant or represent that the material is free from errors or omission, or that it is exhaustive. Because the material is designed to promote the free exchange of information only, Lands cannot and does not make any claim as to the accuracy, authenticity, currency, completeness, reliability or suitability of any material, especially material supplied by third parties or linked to third party sites.

The material is provided on the basis that you are responsible for assessing the relevance of its content. Lands will not accept liability for any loss, damage, cost or expense that you may incur as a result of the use of or reliance upon the material on this Site or any linked sites. Please also note the material may change without notice and you should use the current material from this Site and not rely on material previously printed or stored by you.

If you feel the need to argue further over nothing then maybe you should PM me?

OziExplorer is a GIS style platform and the tracks and other info created in it (or loaded into it from your GPS) are vector info and not dependent of the base image or to a particular scale. You can make the borders by calibrating the GC map and then tracing the exclusion zone out then the tracing is saved as a track. That track then has no relationship to the original map, it is a map of it's own and is referenced to the WGS84 datum and is converted each time you lay it onto a new map.

You can see in that screen shot a list of maps for that location and the scales are listed too. The track will lay over any one of those maps.

You can also save the maps from the SIX site and do the same "trace and save" to get your boundaries.

Sounds like we have the same set up going Jindy.

;) no doubt

I also carry my laptop in the car on hunting trips (longer than one day) and it is handy to be able to call up different areas and load important info into the GPS.

I made some maps using Google Earth for my Cape trip last year and 2 of us had our laptops in base camp. It was great to be able to download everyones GPS each day and within a few days we had a good idea where the best pigs might be found. A few of the guys loaded in a route to follow to a swamp in the middle of nowhere and they had a great day thumping many pigs. They did get carried away though, the total walk was over 35 km :D

Nowadays we don't have to spend weeks walking around a property to know the lay of the land, we have so much info available to us were can get a great idea of where we want to hunt (and what it will take) before we even leave home :D