Spotlights

Tabz

Hi guys,

Im after a hand held spotlight which has the following:

- Hand held rechargable battery pack

- Car charger

- Red cover (for spotting eyes)

Will be used for spotting all sorts of game, from rabbits to deer, and will be used both in and out of the car. f anyone knows where i can grab one from Melbourne, and the price, please let me know..

And also, does anyone know what the other coloured spotlight covers are for?

Thanks

Hey there

Not sure about the use of spotties for deer - kind of illegal in VIC, but the Opposite Lock stores sell a whole range of light force brand spotlights which are excellent - you can even get adapters for them to whack on your rifle scope.

The coloured lenses are;

Yellow - Helps contrast things in damp weather

Green - Good for spotting animals with sensative eyes

Red - Good for spotting shy animals

Blue - Helps contract in raining or foggy weather

Hopefully that helps.

Cheers

Jays

WOAH!!

I'm kinda new to this game.. What exactly is the problem with deer?

And thanks for the replies, very helpful

The illegal spotlighting of deer has been a

significant problem for a number of years despite

it being illegal to:

Hunt deer at night.

Hunt deer with the use of artificial light.

Carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle.

Use a spotlight from a vehicle on a public

road.

Possess a loaded firearm or discharge a

firearm on or across a public road or

thoroughfare.

The spotlighting of deer is not only illegal, it is

dangerous, unethical and reduces recreational

hunting opportunities for law-abiding hunters.

In 2000, the Government introduced a new law to

address the illegal spotlighting of deer. The law

states that it is illegal to possess a regulated

spotlight and a firearm in recognised deer habitat

during the hours between sunset and sunrise.

However, this does not apply when a firearm is

unloaded and secured in a vehicle and the

regulated spotlight is not in use.

It was necessary to make this law as strict as

possible to close any loopholes commonly used by

spotlighters while not unfairly restricting

legitimate hunters.

The following document details hunters’

requirements when in possession of a firearm and

spotlight when in recognised deer habitat.

www.dse.vic.gov.au

whilst we're on spotlights here..

anyone know of a good 12volt connection spotlight for use on a quad ??

I have a lightforce sl140 with alligator clips I use with the car but am chasing one with a 12v connection just for the quad..

cheers Hp

and dont worry, no deer up my way!!

You could pick up a ciggy lighter adapter from jaycar or similar for about 20c. Get one without a fuse built in as a decent light will blow it immediately. Not sure how your quad socket is wired, but you might like to check the line to make sure it can handle that amount of juice. Can't see any significant problem with this approach, very simple wiring required here.

Most of the ciggy lighter ones I've used are significantly less bright than their direct to battery counterparts, but are also very light and cheap. If you don't need the longer range of the high power ones, any good auto shop should have a ciggy lighter spottie to suit. I'd expect to pay about 80 bucks for a top of the line impact resistant handheld light.

Disclaimer - I'm an arsey bugger and willing to try anythinga and am not an electrician.

There's two days to do things... the right way and the wrong way... then there's MY WAY, which is like the wrong way, only quicker.

G'day coldchickens, I have had the Sl140 for about 12 years now and love it.

I have the alligator clip cord on mine which I use out of the 4wd direct to the battery.

But I want to use it on the quad and seen as it has a cigy lighter built in (Honda 4x4), I want o use it with a cigy lighter plug/cord. I see it listed on the link as available.

Can you purchase the cord seperately and how does that mean I will have to pull the light apart and fit that cord each time i swap from car to bike ?? :blink:

pain in the arse i think...

Hp

Back to TAbz statement about the use of his light.

Some words of advice read and understand the rules and regulations regarding any and all game you wish to hunt. As fines are steap and fellow hunters unforgiving.

I know there is some talk around my local area from a smallish group of people that have had enough of the inactivity from the respective authorities so they are out patroling and taking details of cars and shooters they feel are in the wrong and forwarding them to the police.

So make sure you know the rules and regs RE any game you hunt

1S1K

So Tabz, are you going for the night hunter pack? Seems to do everything anyone could ever want, but is pricey.

Let us know what you end up doing, at the moment I'm tethered to the car but this sounds very interesting. (especially since I'm convinced some spotters are blind :) )

(especially since I'm convinced some spotters are blind :) )

Lol.. Well i definitely know what u mean about the blind spotters! Already seen too many of them!

As for the spottie, not sure yet.. Ill have to shop around and check price/performance of each one..

Ill be sure to let u guys know how i go when i finally decide.. thanks for the help

If you want a better plug than a ciggy type, go to a auto electrician or auto electrics wholesaler and get a few accessory plugs as made by Hella, Narva etc. Usually rated to 15 - 20 amps and are much better, and last longer than ciggy plugs. The less voltage drop through this type of plug will give a noticably better light. Fit a male plug to the light, and a female plug to 4wd, bike etc.