Portable in car navigation/GPS

nick

Yeah, it is on fastest route. It only has two settings, fastest route and shortest distance. Fastest route is by far the better option in the truck. Shortest distance tends to take me down too many different streets, making too many turns. Not easy in a tipper.

As for Happy Jack comments, I reckon your on the money there. Gps should never be relied upon. They should be used only as a supplementary navigational aid. They're not 100% reliable, regardless of how much money you spend. You can't beat a topographic map.

Cheers

IMO the cheaper ones only let you down. I am using a iCN330(NAVMAN) in my truck, to help me get around Brizzy and it gets it right about 50% of the time. It tends to loose signal in built up areas due to interference and the high buildings blocking the signal. I also find that it is always trying to push me to use toll roads when I really dont need to. Does anyone else find this with their models? Yesterday the most direct route i took didn't include a toll road, however my nav tried to send me on a loop around to my job via a toll rd. Go figure. Reckon the toll road operators and WhereIS are in bed together...

Next time i'll splash a bit more cash on a more dependable model.

can ya not put toll roads in your avoid section in the menu, i can on the cheap arsed awa model i use in the truck. chris

Been looking at the portable in car GPS's and was wondering which ones you have had the best experience with, or user friendly.

Will be mostly used around city sydney etc... but wonderring if they still good for use on trips out western nsw?

The brands i have looked at are navman, tomtom, garmin and a HP one.

i drive all over the state delivering water tanks, all the blokes at work have different models,all with there good and bad points, depends really on how much you want to spend, i have the awa model, less than $300 from big W, with whereis maps on sd card, and i really cant complain about it, its paid for itself over and over, in time and saved diesel, the only thing i am looking at is an exterior ariel for better reception. chris

gday

i have a garmin nuvi 310 (a little pricey) but comes with all the works and perks and having to travel interstate and get a hire car it has been very helpful until you travel through places like sydney and all the major roads are next to each other you lose reception in tunnels as i said in another post i went over the harbour bridge three times trying to get to the airport trying to avoid tolls (lesson learnt there) but i find it best in the suburbs or longer trips

my two cents

cheers

hey guys, might be a silly question, but can you use the Car GPS's like the tom tom for example in the bush on foot,say if your going on a deer hunt or something to mark spots and track your way back to camp?

cheers

Simon

If you get a PDA unit with built in GPS and nav software, then yes.

I have an HP IPAQ Travel Companion which uses TomTom software.

All the features of a stand alone TomTom GPS unit, plus I can install off-road GPS like GPS Tuner or OziExplorer.

I use GPS Tuner installed and it's quite nice. Left it turned on in my pocket as I walked around in the bush, it tracked and recorded my route. No need to even mark spots manully (but I would still mark major stuff like your car and camp.

As a bonus, I can scan a map in and calibrate it. And view my route and marked locations on a topo map.