Digital cameras

mbow

The one Gryphon has -- cos that thing seems to be the bees knees -- takes wicked pictures anyway

Cannon S3 i think it is Balty is right they are a great camera and when i get some spare money i will get myself one aswell....

I think Slinger from here has the S3 aswell

Guest zx9john

i stopped playing with compacts and got myself a canon 350d SLR

takes awesome pics - portrait quality, enough to be blown up to A1 or bigger

came with a 75-300mm lens so I can take some pretty good close-ups from up to 500m away - the only trouble is the pics can be as large as 6MB ea so i have to re-size them in photoshop a bit to make them web-friendly

I have a Panasonic FZ5, 5.3mp and 12X zoom, which is great for wildlife photos and the like. Lots of advanced settings, a simple point and shoot mode, good macro mode, strong built in flash and a really good Leica lens.

This is a great site for camera reviews and comparisons:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php

I got mine online from here, and saved a bit of coin:

http://www.camerastore.com.au/

mbow,

A few questions:

1. What is your experience with photography?

2. What is your budget?

3. What type of camera? eg Compact or SLR?

Generally though, if you stick to the better brands such as Nikon, Canon etc you can't go too far wrong. SLR's have their advantages over compacts in that you can interchange different lenses to suit different applications. Although they are bulkier to carry in the field.

Cheers,

JD

More of a general response...

The most important part of the digital camera is still the quality of the optics. Many people get drawn in to the various gimmicks and whiz bang features of a digital camera which as a gadget man i can certainly understand but the one piece of advice is make sure the qulaity of your optics are top notch!

It doesnt matter how fancy your image capture is, the camera only records the image given to it by the lens on the front, if the optics are not supplying a nice clear image then the camera wont give you a nice picture.

After that, just learn your camera and take heaps of pics!

I'm looking at purchasing a digital camera and was wondering what is everyones experiences. Thanks.

My father recently bought a Fuji, finepix S5700. It is pretty much user friendly, 10x "opticle" zoom, 7.1 mega pixel, computer software, usb cable etc. The higher the mega pixel, the more clarity, & clarity when enlaged.

The pix I have posted in other topics, are only with a 2.5 mega pixel camera within my video camera.

It cost him $400 at Harvey Norman, but if you look around, you will get it alot cheeper.

Excellant camera, previously Ive had a Cannon EOS 3000N 35m, the technology advances in the last couple of years with cameras is unreal.

Alot of camera for the price.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/12998/fuji..._finepix_s5700/

Edited by tinyted

Guest zx9john
The most important part of the digital camera is still the quality of the optics.

Actually it's a bit more complicated than that... you need to look at the quality of the CCD chip as well.

Mega pixel ratings are deceptive marketing tools - two 5MP camera's can easily be distinguished in picture quality due to the quality of the CCD....

crappy CCD's result in grainy low light pictures.... like this one:

post-1684-1182744546_thumb.jpg

as opposed to something like this... granted, taken with a different camera, but one that contains a much better CCD

post-1684-1182745944_thumb.jpg

Actually it's a bit more complicated than that... you need to look at the quality of the CCD chip as well.

yep, agreed, i was trying to keep it simple to emphasize my point. ...again, the CCD chips can only capture the quality of the image provided by the lens. As you mentioned, there are a whole bunch of things to consider and to take truly brilliant photos then all these things have to be considered ...and then i definitely wouldnt be the guy to talk to about it!

Wow, what the?? I might have to educate myself as my experience is aim and shoot with the film that you have to develop - had a little digital but it was crap. Thanks everyone, I'm happy to spend around $600 although after a quick look I don't think I'll have to spend that much. We do most of our hunting in thick scrub on quads. Not too sure if digital cameras would be able to handle a bit of shaking around on the bike?? Whats a CCD chip? I don't want anything too advanced - changing lenses etc. The size doesn't matter. Thanks again, will keep on researching.

mbow i got myself a handy little Olympus thingo mejig - cost me about $500 but it was specifically for the birth of my daughter so i can just point and shoot

it does the job awesomly ( new word ) its weather proof so can handle a splash from the bath by my daughter and not effect it

it takes really good photo's considering its in my hands -- and its compact size means I am able to steal it from the wife to take hunting aswell it fits in my vest pocket nicely

Guest zx9john
Whats a CCD chip?

the bit that turns the light from the lens into "1's & 0's"

the main thing that craps me off with compacts is the laginess, either in taking the shot or as the pic is written to memory - not too bad when you can control your subjects like that record Sambar/Pig etc you have already dropped, but a real disappointment when a moving object is the subject i.e. a spiker you just want a pic's not chops

We do most of our hunting in thick scrub on quads. Not too sure if digital cameras would be able to handle a bit of shaking around on the bike?? Whats a CCD chip? I don't want anything too advanced - changing lenses etc. The size doesn't matter. Thanks again, will keep on researching.

Seriously speaking, if you are going to buy a camera to save life long memories, you buy a padded bag for it with spare batteries, & use it when you need to. I carry a video camera with me in my backpack, when riding around on my bike.

The camera I stated is user friendly, no need to change lenses, & it isnt very big. Anything that is mechanical will break if not looked after, regardless of price & size.

Cheers TT.

Edited by tinyted

Guest zx9john

here is some more info - http://www.ghg.net/akelly/ccdbasic.htm

It's easy to take digital camera's for granted but the engineering behind them is fantastic

Incidentally, I have heard bits of info trickling thru about fully bionic eye replacement technology - won't be long before blind people will not only be able to see again, but they'll be walking camcorders with nightvision and zoom capabilities

lol - riflescopes might be a thing of the past soon - replaced by laser pointers and digital eye upgrades ;)

Yep Rono's correct, Canon S3 IS, 12 X optical, 6 Meg, anti vibration (or whatever its called) and movies as well. On special at Hardly Normals for $430 last week. I am very happy with mine.

I saw the other day a new camera out 18 X optical, 8 Meg, anti vib and all the other gear for $799, I cant remember the brand though - plenty of em out there mate, do your research and you will be right.

P.S. Happy birthday Rono.

zx9john - its funny you say that about eye technology as I have had lasik sugery done so I know how great improvements to eye sight is - now this thread will turn into about lasik!!

From what everyone has said I think I'll go with the Canon S3, theres a S5 out now too but I think the S3 will be plenty good enough for what I want. I personally like the canon brand too, I can't wait to get one, I'll be going snap happy, I'll have to read the thread about how to post pics now!

Thanks again.

My family were headed for a holiday and we bought on on the waterproof and shockproof cannon compact cameras. It has a pretty bad lag between pressing the shutter and taking the photo, but aside from that it is f#*king brilliant.

We took it swimming, surfing, snorkeling, rollercoasters and even the occasional spa ;)

Its been dropped a couple of times and keeps chugging along. The kids use it no probs. If you would use it like this then its worth it, otherwise you could probably get a better picture/zoom package.