Advice Please: Electronic Ear Muffs

I need to get a few sets of ear muffs for self and sons. Ear muffs have always annoyed me by deadening all sound so electronic will be the go. I don't mind spending $ for better protection if the muffs are comfortable and can be worn in the field.

What electronic muffs are good value for money and would be good for field and range?

I don't mind buying on line if sources van be recommended.

I need to get a few sets of ear muffs for self and sons. Ear muffs have always annoyed me by deadening all sound so electronic will be the go. I don't mind spending $ for better protection if the muffs are comfortable and can be worn in the field.

What electronic muffs are good value for money and would be good for field and range?

only yesterday the mate recommended peltor at 200 bucks

Bro i dont use muffs (young n stupid n they annoy me) but i now use lil plugs every now n then. But i did go buy a set of cheap muffs from bunnings warehouse. They work excelent only cost $22 bucks... I dont know bout expensive ones but mine only have one mic so when you are wearing them you cant tell where different sounds come from, other than that you cant hear the gun go boom... really good.

Good thread, I've been looking in to this myself and am rather confused with it all due to the huge price differences and designs etc.

One thing I noticed was cabelas have some which amplify low noises so if your stalking you can hear animals etc.. as well as converse with someone but they still deaden loud noises.

I think I may get mine from there. I'll let you know how they go when they arrive in 12 days!

These look pretty good, well the whole site does anyway.

http://www.earmold.com.au/content/blogcategory/17/32/

Xav

Edited by xavie

I bought a pair of the Peltor tactical S-6 electronic ear muff's about 6 months ago on e-bay for $80 posted. There the slimline type so not bulky at all. They have had quite a workout in that time with no problems at all. I did go & buy a pair of the Peltor H10B bulky ear muffs for when I bench next to a mate who shots a 338 Lapua with a muzzle brake. For normal situations the S-6 pair do the job fine.

Regards,

HS300.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Some muffs claim a certain amount of noise reduction, for example 22dB. Does anyone know how the noise reduction level work because a reduction of 22 dB from the peak of 145 dB for (say) a .22 calibre high velocity would still sufficient noise for hearing damage.

Are the electronics much better at noise reduction?

Hi,

Perhaps you should look at a product called ZEM, they have an excellent range of "ear muffs"as they are far lighter than any electronic muffs and are far more comfortable to wear. They come in different colours as well. If I remember correctly they were a bit less in price as well, as the benefits of comfort, range commands and hearing under normal conversation sound level, no problem.

I got mine from from the web site of www.bpss.com.au.

I use them with all the caliber s and they handle the different noise levels really well,I use them for everything from .22 through to a .300win mag, as well all the handguns .22 ,9mm,.38super and .357 mag all no problems.

Check them out before you part with your money as I have tried both the electronic muffs and these, and the ZEM are far more comfortable to use and have no batteries.

Regards

Edited by sitting duck

Thanks for all of the replies.

Some muffs claim a certain amount of noise reduction, for example 22dB. Does anyone know how the noise reduction level work because a reduction of 22 dB from the peak of 145 dB for (say) a .22 calibre high velocity would still sufficient noise for hearing damage.

Are the electronics much better at noise reduction?

I dont think electronic muffs reduce noise at all. They are esensially just standard muffs with speakers inside and when the CPU detects noise above the factory set db level then the speakers are turned off instantaniously.

I dont think electronic muffs reduce noise at all. They are esensially just standard muffs with speakers inside and when the CPU detects noise above the factory set db level then the speakers are turned off instantaniously.

Between the eyes

Thanks for the explanation. I suppose they could have some relevance to me because like most men I must have lost some hearing with age.

Hi,

Perhaps you should look at a product called ZEM, they have an excellent range of "ear muffs"as they are far lighter than any electronic muffs and are far more comfortable to wear. They come in different colours as well. If I remember correctly they were a bit less in price as well, as the benefits of comfort, range commands and hearing under normal conversation sound level, no problem.

I got mine from from the web site of www.bpss.com.au.

I use them with all the caliber s and they handle the different noise levels really well,I use them for everything from .22 through to a .300win mag, as well all the handguns .22 ,9mm,.38super and .357 mag all no problems.

Check them out before you part with your money as I have tried both the electronic muffs and these, and the ZEM are far more comfortable to use and have no batteries.

Regards

sitting duck

Those would be convenient for field use at least and I will order a set to try them out. Thanks.

Hi I have a pair of electronic muffs that amplify background noise so that you can hear game approaching or your hunting mate whispering; they also allow you to adjust what frquency you wish to amplify.

They also reduce the loud noises - they do not turn off when the loud noise occurs as do other brands of electroninc earmuffs

I bought them from the states

cheers

Len

Hi I have a pair of electronic muffs that amplify background noise so that you can hear game approaching or your hunting mate whispering; they also allow you to adjust what frquency you wish to amplify.

They also reduce the loud noises - they do not turn off when the loud noise occurs as do other brands of electroninc earmuffs

I bought them from the states

cheers

Len

Wasnt the point of the thread to determine which one was the go?

Have you got a brand name and a price to go with your post?

Hi,

I got a set of ZEMS and they don't work worth a pinch of the proverbial on the range. Even at a standard pistol match it is painful. In the field shooting by yourself they *may* work but are no way near as good as a set of peltors.

IMHO invest in a good pair of slimline electronic earmuffs and you're set for a long time.

I got a set of ZEMS and they don't work worth a pinch of the proverbial on the range. Even at a standard pistol match it is painful. In the field shooting by yourself they *may* work but are no way near as good as a set of peltors.

IMHO invest in a good pair of slimline electronic earmuffs and you're set for a long time.

Hi Coldchickens,

I have used these products and found them to excellent, in my case, we shoot both indoors and outdoors with them and not had any problems with them at all, perhaps the pair you have may need a new set of rubbers or something as the comfort and the operation of them are excellent . Like I said earlier we are using them on all types of calibers up to a .300 win mag with muzzle brake fitted inside and outside. Yes, inside there is a difference in the sound intensity, but even your peltors will do the same under the same conditions and not be as comfortable to wear at being at least twice the weight or more.

These have been used by a few members of our pistol club in competitions in both IPSC and Service matches as well as just practice/plinking, where all the ranges are manned. Most of the club members are using either semi auto's or revolvers in either 9 mm,.38 super or .357 with power factors around the 130 plus mark,not full loads I know but still not squib loads as well and they do bark inside. To my knowledge not one has gone back to the peltor type muff.

Regards