Red Lens On My Lightforce Handheld

Beno

That is the general idea of it, but i find it darkens the light way too much, & you loose visual distance, its too red. The red is more designed for pigs, but id like to try the orange myself.

Hi B_Matthias,

There should be a bit of detail on these threads however to summarise...

Apparently small game such as rabbits and foxes do not have the capacity to process the red light spectrum effectively, hence by using a Red Light filter they will not be as aware (or spooked) by a red filtered light when compaired to a standard White or Yellow Light.

Hence this should give you a greater opportunity to target small game without spooking the animal as greatly.:ph34r:

In practice i found the use of it very interesting. As mentioned by Tinyted, the light beam is decreased somewhat and the animal itself is harder to see. And whilst on foot i found many rabbits to be aware of me being in the vicintiy (I beleive by the sound of my walking and probably my scent) but they were definately less prone to running off. I also found a rabbit continue to graze whilst in my beam suggesting he was not aware of my presence at all despite being spotted.

Taking the filter off, i found rabbits were definately aware and were spooked more often. With many running (Sometimes towards me :rolleyes: ) which can be an advantage or disadvantage, but in short i will definately use it again especially when on foot.

Edited by MattyV

Hey guys i spend a lot of time around the theatre (im an actor) n backstage lights during a performance are filtered with blue lenses (some poorer theatres use blue cellophane).

My point being that it emits a lot of good usable light for backstage crews and performers but is not glaring onto the stage for audience to see.

Thus if using blue filters (cellophane) for rabbits would be better than white light if animals are spooked, and also you get a much better field of view distance wise over the red filter... However game can pick up this colour spectrum it is not a intense and is somewhat similar to the moon...

My 2 cents worth... dunno i dont use spotlights...

Hey guys i spend a lot of time around the theatre (im an actor) n backstage lights during a performance are filtered with blue lenses (some poorer theatres use blue cellophane).

My point being that it emits a lot of good usable light for backstage crews and performers but is not glaring onto the stage for audience to see.

Thus if using blue filters (cellophane) for rabbits would be better than white light if animals are spooked, and also you get a much better field of view distance wise over the red filter... However game can pick up this colour spectrum it is not a intense and is somewhat similar to the moon...

My 2 cents worth... dunno i dont use spotlights...

Here is some science based on humans at least - Our eyes contain what are called Rods and Cones. Rods are what 'see' colour and Cones are sensitive to light and cannot process colour. The reason red light is used (by humans and more than likely passes to animals) at night time is that while ours and their eyes have adapted to the dark already as this normally takes about 30 mins to occur, turning on a red light does not affect the eyes and the ability to see at night as our Cones are not processing the colour- they are only processing the light. It also assists us in the glare-recovery which is the short time (20 secs approx) from when you turn on a white light for your eyes to again adapt to the bright light. You will notice that all emergency service vehicles now have red and blue lights - this is because at night we can see Red light much clearer at a distance than we see the Blue - but due to the temperature (not heat but colour) during the day, we respond to blue much better in light conditions. Between the Eyes - I'm not sure on your professional experience and technical know how, but I have spent years working in television using blue light you will find generally blue light is used on stage as it can recreate daylight colours. I used to be out on the raod with camera crews all day and we would set up blue 'gels' on lights for interviews as using a 'white' light would cast a yellow hue over the subject.

Hope this is not too much learning for one day!!! All said and done it would appear that for close quarters shooting, red light is the go!;)

Here is some science based on humans at least - Our eyes contain what are called Rods and Cones. Rods are what 'see' colour and Cones are sensitive to light and cannot process colour. The reason red light is used (by humans and more than likely passes to animals) at night time is that while ours and their eyes have adapted to the dark already as this normally takes about 30 mins to occur, turning on a red light does not affect the eyes and the ability to see at night as our Cones are not processing the colour- they are only processing the light. It also assists us in the glare-recovery which is the short time (20 secs approx) from when you turn on a white light for your eyes to again adapt to the bright light. You will notice that all emergency service vehicles now have red and blue lights - this is because at night we can see Red light much clearer at a distance than we see the Blue - but due to the temperature (not heat but colour) during the day, we respond to blue much better in light conditions. Between the Eyes - I'm not sure on your professional experience and technical know how, but I have spent years working in television using blue light you will find generally blue light is used on stage as it can recreate daylight colours. I used to be out on the raod with camera crews all day and we would set up blue 'gels' on lights for interviews as using a 'white' light would cast a yellow hue over the subject.

Hope this is not too much learning for one day!!! All said and done it would appear that for close quarters shooting, red light is the go!;)

Yeah i know the tech on theatical lighting effects... But was just saying that the backstage lights are always blue.... And give highest possible vision with out glaring onto the stage....

I only said this as tinyted and matty find the lights with red filters too dull and restrict their vision to much...

And i merely pointed out that blue lens would be brighter than red and not as intense as white light...