Gun Safe

Each State has there own regulation as to safe design for different weapon classes.

Thickness of Walls, Door, Door anti jimmy and Type of locks used etc.

It will probably not be worth making it yourself - the lock will cost a lot, and unless you get the sheet steel next to free you cannot compete to a actual safe maker price.

On the plus side... making it yourself you can make a safe to fit your space.

Best to buy a proper gun safe.

Each State has there own regulation as to safe design for different weapon classes.

Thickness of Walls, Door, Door anti jimmy and Type of locks used etc.

It will probably not be worth making it yourself - the lock will cost a lot, and unless you get the sheet steel next to free you cannot compete to a actual safe maker price.

On the plus side... making it yourself you can make a safe to fit your space.

Best to buy a proper gun safe.

Have to agree.

After looking into building my own aligned to ACT specs I worked it out to be cheaper to buy one and know it meets criteria.

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weap...ral/storage.htm

How do I need to store my weapons?

Firearms must be kept unloaded other than when being used to shoot, except where the firearm is being used under a security licence.

When not in a person's physical possession, a firearm/weapon must be stored unloaded in a locked container with the bolt removed or the action broken.

For category D, H or R weapons, the container must be a rigid structure made of solid steel and be bolted to the frame or floor of a permanent building.

For any other weapons, the container must be a rigid structure made of solid steel or timber and if it weighs less than 150kg, be securely fixed to the frame or floor of a permanent building.

The container also must have a sturdy lock and be kept locked when the weapon is not in use.

From that I read the storage requirements are the same as for Victoria.

My safe is a home moddified "locker room cabnet". As per the instructions of the local firearms officer, I installed two hasp & staple's with nice large padlocks and bolted it to the floor. I also put a padlock thru the original locking system.

I also installed a door where the original shelf with a couple of small padlocks (different keys to the main padlocks). And there's my ammo storage.

I should also note that it's not been inspected yet and it's not got any rifles stored in it yet. (My plastic licence arrived yesterday, my PTA should arrive tomorrow and my first rifle, the Game Viper Express should arive mid next week).

I'd give your local firearms devision and ask them if such a such would be accepted. Then shop around at used office supply stores and you can get a cheap safe.

That said, when I run out of room in this safe, I'll buy a proper safe in a size large enough to take all current fireamrs plus some room to expand. Mainly because while my "safe" will meet the legal requirements in Victoria, I know that all it takes is a cordless drill, a chissel and hammer and the entire door frame can be removed (in fact, thats the only way I was able to install the ammo locker door. I made it with a VERY tight fit).

I think it will be $200 + to buy it new from a gun shop for a 5 gun safe and upwards.

Ive found the qld weapons branch to be useless at answering some questions.

You might be able to find something second hand in the trading post, ebay,etc.