Portable Gps Or Compass And Map?

shet111

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a Magellan Explorist 500 portable GPS and have plenty of good quality spare batteries for hunting but have been told a map and compass is still VERY necessary.

Which in your opinion is better/safer?? or do i need both?

Ps- wanted to make this a poll but dont know how :(

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a Magellan Explorist 500 portable GPS and have plenty of good quality spare batteries for hunting but have been told a map and compass is still VERY necessary.

Which in your opinion is better/safer?? or do i need both?

Ps- wanted to make this a poll but dont know how :(

You need both.

You can drop and break a GPS, you can't a map. You might also break a compass, but you can still

use your watch and a map to to navigate by day and night - as long as you know the time.

A map also helps you pick a route.

A GPS should be used much like a compass, with a map.

Batteries can go dead (and spares don't always work, they have a shelf life), you can get into areas with poor GPS reception, the GPS can break etc.

And if all thats not bad enough, if the USA goes to war with Australia they can turn the GPS system off! And if that happens the last thing you want to be is lost in the bush wearing full camoflage with a gun.

Get a compass and map and make sure you know how to use them that way you can use the gps and if something happens to it you can go back to the map and compass

Both are handy,

Gps, waypoint when you get out of the car,

turn it off as you are hunting, not taking the gps for a walk, because all you will be doing is looking at the screen getting confused.

Should have seen all the old blokes with their new christmas presents walking around just looking at their gps screens at the holiday place i went to for chrissy.

Use the map and compas to navigate by.

then if you can't back track or navigate to your vehicle, turn the gps back on and go to.