Led Light/rifle Red Lens, Attachement And Portable?

Chooky88

Anybody know if its best to have the light on your head or your firearm?

LED lights are great love that pure looking light without black spots.

I'm after a great white light with red lens cover option light to attach to my rifle for spotlighting when walking so I need portable power. (I have a girly hatch back, cant afford a decent quad, so I need to be walking :-)

Anybody have any reccomendaitons or experiences about what NOT to get as well as what works.

Also, what Aussie game animals can't see red?

Cheers!

I use an Energizer LED Headlight - Get them at Cole Woolies for $35 - ebay cheaper.

They have 2 white LED's and a 1 Red LED. Has tilt adjustment so Light can be tilted up or down.

Runs on 3xAAA battereis. I use Energizer Rechargables and you get about 50 hours use from them.

As for Walkabout Spotlighting... Get a Lightforce Scope mount Spotlight RM170.

It is light weight - made of Polycarbonate (plastic) and very durable.

You can attach it to your scope via a quick release dohicky, and you still can use it as a handheld when you go with someone. You can buy spare scope mounts for other rifles so swapping to another gun can be quick and easy. The lightforce base on the scope version is spring loaded so it can absorb rifle recoil and not blow you bulbs.

Runs on 12VDC via a cigarette lighter. Just get a Gel Battery 7Ah will last about 1 hour, 20Ah about 2.5hours stick it in a backpack and off you go.

You can get Red Filter $20-25) for them and they work really well.

I can see fox eye clearly over 300m, and see/track the fox at 200m

Rabbits and Foxes do not get spooked by the red light.

I can get to within 5-10m easily with most rabbits. They just tend to hop 2-3 steps and stop again.

Hi

I am a bit confused as to what you want it for

Is it for spotlighting or to illuminate where you are walking when not using the spoltlight

You are not going to find a LED light that is as bright as a spotlight

If its a walking light your after petzl have a great range of LED headtorches that also have a flip up red lense that have three levels of brightness and also have a flashing mode to extend battery life - I have one of these and use when hunting at night

check out

http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au/listPr...PETZL+HEADLAMPS

http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au/showPr...MP+-+MODEL+E49P

Are you wanting to attach a LED light to your rifle????

I have a 4D cell LED Maglite, and while its a good light, it MITE be ok for very short range spotlight duties if attached to a 22lr (should be OK for 50-60m). Wouldn't like my chances of spotting a fox through the scope at 100-150m tho.

A rifle mounted Lightforce setup is on my shopping list.

Hello all

I'am not quite sure what your after but Torchworld has a large range of high powered and compact LED torches, great for getting around in the dark. I use a Zebralight H30-Q5 Headlamp.Also have a look at the fenix web site which are also available from Torchworld

http://www.torchworld.com.au/catalog/index...ex&cPath=85

http://www.torchworld.com.au/catalog/index...ex&cPath=96

http://www.fenixlight.com/

Hi all,

sorry didn't make myself clear!

I love these forums, I always get great advice!

It was for spolighting animals, and I'll go with Gigitt and get the Get a Lightforce Scope mount Spotlight RM170. for my .223 and spare mounts for the .308 and .22LR

I didn't know LED wasn't as bright as a spotty and about recoil smashing bulbs.

Amazed at the range with a red lens! That's awesome. I'm really looking forward to getting onto the properties I have lined up and Walking Spotlighting. What a great trick that red light is unseen by foxes and rabbits!

Hi all,

sorry didn't make myself clear!

I love these forums, I always get great advice!

It was for spolighting animals, and I'll go with Gigitt and get the Get a Lightforce Scope mount Spotlight RM170. for my .223 and spare mounts for the .308 and .22LR

I didn't know LED wasn't as bright as a spotty and about recoil smashing bulbs.

Amazed at the range with a red lens! That's awesome. I'm really looking forward to getting onto the properties I have lined up and Walking Spotlighting. What a great trick that red light is unseen by foxes and rabbits!

The spring recoil system is good.

I went spotlighting with the LF170 and red filter on my HW80 1.77 air rifle springer. 1st shot and I was quite shocked by blinding white lights and banging and clanging of plastic... I shot a rabbit and the red filter popped off from the spotlight. Now the filter clips on pretty securely I thought as it takes some fiddling to get it off. But the recoil poped off the lens no problem. I now know that I need to wrap some electrical tape around the outside to hold the filter to the spotlight when using the air rifle :)

Have a search/look in the DIY section... I have a DIY on spraying the filter to reduce the back glare it can create.

It may not feel like it, but air rifles have worse recoil then most other rifles. They recoil in both directions very fast, hence you don't really feel it. But it's the reason you should only buy airgun rated scopes.

Not that I have huge experiance firing other rifles.

It may not feel like it, but air rifles have worse recoil then most other rifles. They recoil in both directions very fast, hence you don't really feel it. But it's the reason you should only buy airgun rated scopes.

Not that I have huge experiance firing other rifles.

Correct.

I was just explaining that the recoil spring on the spotlight does work... but a side affect is that if the recoil is too big like in an air rifle or large calibre, your filter can come off!!!

What you have said is also true about felt recoil... sometimes the felt recoil is less that the damage it can cause... another thing why a spring is placed in the spotlight base so you can save you globe from damage - because essentually the halogen filament is just a tiny coil of wire and when it starts to take hard shocks it will vibrate into fatigue and go snap when you least expect it.

cheers