Camo Clothes

I tend to wear camo a fair bit out hunting - mostly exmil stuff, either Auscam or US MARPAT geen digital pattern, with usually a non matching but still camo shirt - I have a few.

Bunny hunting I find I can get closer with camo than not. I ALWAYS wear an orange camo hat so I can be seen by other hunters or found easier if things go pear shaped.

On the pigs as I tend to hunt on the biek or with dogs camo isn't essential most of the time, but I prefer the multiple pockets that military dacks have, and they are relatively cheap also.

Out whole hunting group wear either orange camo vests or plain yellow or orange safety vests and often orange hats too - so other hunters can clearly see you and you can be recovered more easily if things get a bit "how's your father?"

Interestingly, a while back we had a mob of about 40 pigs walk to within 50 metres of us when we stopped near a splash for a breather. Several blokes in bright tops, a ute, several dogs and motorbikes - and the lead boar finally detected us by SMELL. :D

Stalking skills would be more important.

I won't pretend to know which animals can see in colour and which can't. If you're hunting an animal that you know has excellent eyesight and can see colour then cams will obviously help.

Camo fatigues were invented to fool human eyes. So we naturally assume that because its for use in the wilderness, it will fool animals.

Animals are more fooled by shapes than colours in my opinion. You should be aiming to break the outline of your shape, not blend in with surrounding colours. Animals learn what is a threat to them by identifying smells, sounds and shapes foremost.

A human has a distinct shape that is far different from a cow, dog, bird etc. They learn to identify that shape with either a threat or non threat (depending on the animal and its relationship with man).

Whatever you can do to break up that shape is a good idea. Camo can work to a small degree. The Auscam in Aussie bush probably works better than most cams out there, due to its patterns (not so much the colours as we humans believe). The pattern aids in breaking up and disrupting a figure of a man (I'm sure you've heard the term 'disruptive pattern').

So the next logical step is that a ghillie suit could be of some assistance as it breaks up a human form and makes it look like something else. Clearly however, you still need to be aware of your surroundings, and strutting around wearing a ghillie suit in an open field like some strung out anorexic model won't fool an animal that you're not human. If it can't make out your shape, it may still define your movement as being human.

The use of camo paint on a face is in an effort again, to disrupt facial features. Black is a colour that doesn't often occur in nature (obviously some exceptions) so black boots would be a no no. Possibly not so much because of colour but shade???

Another point is that straight lines, generally do not exist naturally. Most straight lines are man made. I rifle barrel etc have straight lines that an animal (albeit a very intelligent animal) may associate with man. Hessian wraps etc may assist in breaking up this detection. Cylindrical shapes bring the same problems.

So, sorry for the long post, but just to give some ideas.

So how dose this work? A tiger is yellow and black.

all the cats of the world are any colour other than brown green.

So some one will explain it to me??

please.

The tiger is a perfect example of highly developed camouflage, actually more orange than yellow. On one hand, when hiding from or stalking an animal which can see colour it blends perfectly with grass and coloured leaf surroundings. Just take a look at some of the YouTube clips on tigers. On the other hand when stalking Sambar deer in India, the tigers' main prey, the stripes serve to break up it's outline while the deer sees the orange as a shade of grey, as do all other ungulates.

As stated before, the breaking up of an outline is main objective of camouflage.

Check this out to see the full explanation.

http://www.hunter.ru/hunting/how_game_anim...animals_see.htm

Grant

I wear camo because it looks cool haha

And because I like to have clothes for work, clothes for going out, clothes for hunting. It just makes it easier for me to chose what to wear.... otherwise I would be like a chick and couldnt decide what outfit to hunt with lol

I reckon you deer hunters don't know what you're on about!

Years ago, I was on Lady Carrington Drive in the Royal National Park,at the southern end where it is really jungle like.

Living at Bundeena at the time, a 20 km afternoon ride was my regular routine.

So I left the bike on the side of the track, and went 30 metres into the bush to relieve meself.

BBBBAAARRRKKK I near #### meself standing up WHAT THE _UCK

BOOM CRASH

Something was screaming its head off at me, then turns and blunders off.

Turns out I had blundered into a Deer, He #### himself and so did I.

No camo, no stalking, them deer is easy to find.

Settle deer hunters,

I know it's a whole different story when you go lookin' for em with intent

Growin up with RNP as me playground, I have reasonable ability to spot game.

I reckon game are like us

They don't look for humans ,they don,t look for anything in particular,

They see movement and they see something "out of place"

Just like us, if we look for a specific target you won't see it but if you scan with your eyes

BINGO your eyes stop scanning,

subconsciously your primal brain is onto something!

now you take controll and actually work out what the anomoly is that your subconscious locked onto

Tawny frogmouth in the shadows------------------resume scan

and so it continues

Keep low and move slow

thats the go,

direct eye contact -- negative

Cammo's gotta help by breaking up the silhoette and not being seen in the first place

cause once the animals suspicion is aroused, those extra senitivities of a wild animal,

his danger radar is on high alert and he says to himself " I'm outta here "

I have just got club support for me .22 and I wanna get out there with a vengence.

I have been thinking about giving myself every chance thinkin about cammo brought me here

I was thinkin about makin meself a "halo" which hovers acouple of inches over me head supported on a shoulder brace.

Throw some scrim netting over me "halo" which goes down to me chest and back, an over sized veil if you will.

Now I can move me head about under the veil without the veil moving.

Just as we see movement and then discern WHAT moved so does our prey

If my prey CAN'T see me head move

I've got the wood on him, every little bit helps and when your in his domain you need all the help you can get, how much you wanna help yourself is up to you.

Plenty more where that came from

Note to self: Cammo skirt, frame around hips, drape camo "skirt" over,when walking leg movement unseen could work?

Edited by leadspitter

Sounds good to me,

Its all in the, "gettin to the shady tree" UNSEEN aint it !

I se pic's in the mags, of duck hunters in their hides, wearing canmmo, sittin on comfortable seats with their thermos's of coffee.

"They have got the idea"

Edited by leadspitter

Settle deer hunters,

I know it's a whole different story when you go lookin' for em with intent

Growin up with RNP as me playground, I have reasonable ability to spot game.

I reckon game are like us

They don't look for humans ,they don,t look for anything in particular,

They see movement and they see something "out of place"

Just like us, if we look for a specific target you won't see it but if you scan with your eyes

BINGO your eyes stop scanning,

subconsciously your primal brain is onto something!

now you take controll and actually work out what the anomoly is that your subconscious locked onto

Tawny frogmouth in the shadows------------------resume scan

and so it continues

Keep low and move slow

thats the go,

direct eye contact -- negative

Cammo's gotta help by breaking up the silhoette and not being seen in the first place

cause once the animals suspicion is aroused, those extra senitivities of a wild animal,

his danger radar is on high alert and he says to himself " I'm outta here "

I have just got club support for me .22 and I wanna get out there with a vengence.

I have been thinking about giving myself every chance thinkin about cammo brought me here

I was thinkin about makin meself a "halo" which hovers acouple of inches over me head supported on a shoulder brace.

Throw some scrim netting over me "halo" which goes down to me chest and back, an over sized veil if you will.

Now I can move me head about under the veil without the veil moving.

Just as we see movement and then discern WHAT moved so does our prey

If my prey CAN'T see me head move

I've got the wood on him, every little bit helps and when your in his domain you need all the help you can get, how much you wanna help yourself is up to you.

Plenty more where that came from

Note to self: Cammo skirt, frame around hips, drape camo "skirt" over,when walking leg movement unseen could work?

Leadspliter your an electrician correct ????

I wear camo because it looks cool haha

And because I like to have clothes for work, clothes for going out, clothes for hunting. It just makes it easier for me to chose what to wear.... otherwise I would be like a chick and couldnt decide what outfit to hunt with lol

Oh, that's easy. Whatever FITS. The market for female hunting clothing is irritatingly sparse. Btw, I got mocked by a guy for my "oldfashioned" camos. How dare I look this ridiculous in the woods?:

(foul language alert) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq2EurArgDk

Cheers,

Alice

Oh, that's easy. Whatever FITS. The market for female hunting clothing is irritatingly sparse. Btw, I got mocked by a guy for my "oldfashioned" camos. How dare I look this ridiculous in the woods?:

(foul language alert) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq2EurArgDk

Cheers,

Alice

Good on you alice dont put up with it.

Not hard to step on worms is it.

athomo----

Central murrimbidgee, what gives?

What gives what leadspitter