Gps Units

Fizza

Just starting into the deer caper a bit and was wondering if anybody on here has had much experience in the handheld GPS systems?

I have had a lot to do with the Ag side of things but not the handheld doovers!

Any advice on price and brand from some of you more experienced deer and pig shooters would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx Guys

Fizza :D

Garmin Etrex for $200 you can not go wrong has everthing you need for deer hunting + more and very easy to use

i hav a garmin etrex but i dont like taking it up the bush, it has a sh!t antenna and cuts out, i want a new one so i dont get lost in new scrub

The E-trex line can all be a bit like that, it is just a case of get what you pay for.

It shouldn’t matter to you much though, just mark your car with a waypoint and then go hunting. You don’t always need to know where you are every second, and if you need a hint to find your car you just need to find a spot where there is a clearer view of the sky.

Just keep it’s limitations in mind and that unit will still serve you well for many years.

I have a Garmin GPS 60 it is relatively new to thr Garmin Range I Like it they are around the $399 mark

If you are after a map unit you will have to look at E trex vista $550

E Trex legend $ 339.00

GPS map 60 $ 620.00

All these units have maps built in

Cheers Mick.

Fizza

I have had 3 hand held gps units . use it for trail bike riding and hunting. with both of these pastime i mark where the car is. I use to turn it off but with the one i have now, i leave it on most of the time. I put in heaps of marks when hunting as you never know when you will want to find a track you had been on when going cross country as deer tracks usually do. i have a Garmin Fortrex 101

It has a few more features than a etrex and weighs about the same as a watch.

as far as reception, i have not had any problem. and it runs on 2 AAA batteries and easily get 2 days hunting per set. they have never gone flat after this time but change them anyway.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

good luck on your choice.

Lbudgie

I have had a Garmin 12 XL for 10 years, has seen a lot of work and never let me down. Also have a Garmin 76S for mapping paddocks, fencelines, ect which has main roads, rivers, and some property's already in the memory. Plus you can download extra info.

hi

i have had an etrex, and sold it for more than i bought it , i would still have it today if it wasn't for the fool that bought it. i now have one which i bought from super cheap auto for $150 which i have owned for around 2 years. it works just as good as my etrex did

cheers darren

Hey gang its interesting to read what you are all using in this department i have been looking at the magelan 300/400 but with this info i may change my mind and save same money as well.

Now i will have to shop around but i have found them on.....EBAY>>>(yes the super shop that no-one shops at) they seem resonabl at around $190 mark shipped to the door . So thank you gang i will keep you posted

1S1K ((0))

Cheers