Night Vision Scope For Spotting - Project - Like To Join In?

cj7hawk

Well i have a body and end caps ready minus the screws for the master to have a look at, see if it meets his standard?

Ill send it off to him on monday.

This unit will be the model that we copy for production.

So if CJ7 can get some pics on here for you all to see you will notice how easy it will all go together.

And it is easy folks, all you will have to do is follow his instructions which will be on a web page with pics to explain it.

So now sweating on it gos ok.

You will need good silicon, and a soldering iron.

The direction page will have all the parts you need for the electrics on it, and im gessing it will also have a company to get them from.

I will supply the metal threads in the post pack along with some emery cloth for you to polish it before you paint it.

Whats the total to date duncs? By the time it gets back here ill have ther metal threads on site for it.

Now to another possible project, while working on this today a young bloke approached me and asked all about it, to which he added im building a 1000 lume torch whats the chance of you making the body for me.

As usual my mind went into over drive and my answer was your on son, but i want one and i think i know a few other blokes that may also want one

From what i seen his design is simple not much machine work in it and in fact bugga all.

So another project for us to ponder on folks.

Cheers for now.

If I can handle the electric fence at Gryphons place im sure I can handle a measly 50,000 volts haha

I think ill leave it alone, thanks for the heads up ;)

The pic was taken with no moon, but I also changed the aperture to let in less light as it was very bright when looking in peoples windows...... Just kidding! It got a bit bright with the street lights behind me so I changed it.

Ill try it out in the forest with NO external lighting ASAP.

I got a nice solid belt of that fence on the shin last time I was there, I have also seen the odd fence chain hanging off it as well.

made up a mock up last night with cardboard tube

i think my tube may be stuffed it works but not as well as id expect it to i was using a 50mm f2 lens and it doesnt illuminate very well at all using it in my back yard underfull moon light i can see my back fence reasonably brightly but not much better than the naked eye i will try a new set of batteries but im not convinced that the tube is very good

made up a mock up last night with cardboard tube

i think my tube may be stuffed it works but not as well as id expect it to i was using a 50mm f2 lens and it doesnt illuminate very well at all using it in my back yard underfull moon light i can see my back fence reasonably brightly but not much better than the naked eye i will try a new set of batteries but im not convinced that the tube is very good

Hmmm. This is actually the "worst case" scenario... To get a tube that underperforms. Though I haven't encountered on yet, it is possible.

What were you using to view the viewfinder? Did you have a magnifying lens?

Another think to watch out for is stray light. Light can often get in through all kinds of places and mess up the contrast.

When using a cardboard tube, wrap the whole think with at least 2 layers of black duct tape - that will keep all of the light out.

Also, make sure the aperture is fully open. If you're using a 50mm F2 lens, I take it that it's a manual camera lens? What you need to do check that the iris is fully open. Some lenses need to be attached to the camera to do this. I know ALL of my lenses do. About 7 of them. I wedge a matchstick into the iris lever slot to hold it fully open... Otherwise it looks like you describe.

David.

Edited by cj7hawk

Hmmm. This is actually the "worst case" scenario... To get a tube that underperforms. Though I haven't encountered on yet, it is possible.

What were you using to view the viewfinder? Did you have a magnifying lens?

Another think to watch out for is stray light. Light can often get in through all kinds of places and mess up the contrast.

When using a cardboard tube, wrap the whole think with at least 2 layers of black duct tape - that will keep all of the light out.

Also, make sure the aperture is fully open. If you're using a 50mm F2 lens, I take it that it's a manual camera lens? What you need to do check that the iris is fully open. Some lenses need to be attached to the camera to do this. I know ALL of my lenses do. About 7 of them. I wedge a matchstick into the iris lever slot to hold it fully open... Otherwise it looks like you describe.

David.

ill admit i wasnt using a magnifing lens to view the viewfinder

but as for my pentax lense it has an adjustment ring for the iris i had it fully open will a mag lens make any difference to the illumination?

I will tincker a bit more later

ill admit i wasnt using a magnifing lens to view the viewfinder

but as for my pentax lense it has an adjustment ring for the iris i had it fully open will a mag lens make any difference to the illumination?

I will tincker a bit more later

Yes, a mag lens will make a difference. So long as the "brightness" in the tube scales, you will keep on seeing well into the dark. It's primarily the detail you need.

Eventually the image in the tube gets dark if it's dark enough, but it's still a lot brighter than adapter eyesight... And you can see static objects too. When it's really dark the tube looks kind of like "twilight" but it's still bring enough to see stuff.

If you need good vision out to past 100m and it's starlight only, you can always use an IR torch to provide a little more light... I use just 2 x LEDs and they go out past 50m. You could wire up 4 x LEDs as extra illumination if you needed to with this project. That would be nearly a watt and would let you see detail out quite some way...

What speed was the lens? Hmm F2. Should be OK. Especially with any moon, let alone full moon.

David.

fabed up a PVC scope today cough cough too sick to go to work ;)

i have tried it in the darkest room in the house not pitch black but dark enough so you cant read a poster on the wall seems to work a bit better but i will wait and see tonight

th_DSC_0425.jpg

lens mount complete with spring havent made a locking pin as this is only a prototype

th_DSC_0422.jpg

switch and ocular lens 40mm pvc joiner and machined down 6x40 tasco

th_DSC_0421.jpg

overall view, the outside is unpainted as it will be rubber coated internally it is insulated by foam & micro fibre insulation i found through a friend in the communications industry it is used to coat fibre optic bundles

th_DSC_0423.jpg

batery box is from an old r/c car it had a switch and conectors for the time being it is taped down (the tape is uv blocking electrical tape working for the mines has its advantages :)

i used this tape around every where that light can enter the photo-cathode

my wife is laughing at me cause im checking whether its dark every 15mins :)

it aint super pretty but it has given the intensifier every chance to work

as a test i taped the lens cap on and switched on the tube and slowly lit the room with the dimmer there was no change in the brightness of the ocular in even a brightly lit room so the only way light will get in is via the lens

seems to work pretty good not very dark outside bit of ambiant light but looks clear except for some spots ive found are in the intensifier itself

i will try get a pic through it later

the pic isn't the best or centered but i was getting eaten alive

That's not a bad picture at all... In fact, it's pretty good.

If it gets really dark, then taking a picture can be a little difficult due to light levels and camera settings, though the image through the viewfinder is usually still quite viewable. I'd be interested to know how it goes when it gets really dark though :)

And congratulations on a successful project :)

David.

Heh, you will get a shock out the country... Where it's REALLY dark... They will struggle when it's like that, but should still give a useable image if your lens is fast enough.

Also, if you've been driving for a while, stop somewhere safe, turn the lights off, get out and have a look under your car with the NV :)

Maybe in the engine bay too!

David.

I took a couple of pics last night. One is in the backyard. Full (or almost) moon. Was the darkest corner I could find. The bin is only about 10m away. Lens is the ~50mm F2.

Then I went down to the park behind my house and behind me was street lights and infront of me was the moon right on the horizon! So it was a waste of time. Anyway, I tried. The photo was way over exposed, just to much light. Not my camera so I had no way of doing anything about it.

The closer forest on the left of the photo is about 200m away and the forest all the way in the distance is about 400m. Lens is ~130mm F2.8

Well another day, waiting for the scope... It feels like Christmas again :) Crossing my fingers that the mailman will come today. :) There's be pics to follow, of course... But from all descriptions, Optic's done a fantastic job on this.

It's been bright of late. These scopes work beautifully on moonlight nights too. I know it's bright without them, but they are really good at peering into the shadows on a night like the ones we've had.

But I can see the moon slowly getting smaller each night again, so the dark nights will be soon to follow.. Maybe in a week or so.

David