Talking Gun Safes

pretty hard to screw a safe into a corner of 2 walls even of one of them is plaster board as you have to crew into the wall stud of a plaster board wall and studs are usually more than 300mm from the corner.

There should be a stud in each corner for the plasterboard to attach to. They'll be right in the corner though (45mm each way, normally) so you'd have to put the screws right into the corners of your safe. All houses are different of course but this would be the case in the majority of cases.

But, that's all that is legally required.

And, lets be honest, all the inspectors are going to do is:

1. check for screws

2. give the safe a quick wobble

And one screw into one stud will let you pass #2 as long as its in properly and is not right at the bottom of the safe. So the other screw(s) could just be into the plasterboard (ie just for looks) to pass #1.

Not that I'm suggesting anyone break any rules... But if you have very little choice of location, you may need to be a bit pragmatic.

Mine, of course, is in nice and properly! tongue.gif

I'm lucky in that my house is double brick

My safe is in the cubboard in my room, because I like my stuff and if someone is in my house stealing things I decided to go for 12mm chem set studs, they make dyna bolts look like wood screws! and if you want the safe the whole wall is comming with it!

biggest problem with dyna bolts is that they are hard to get out of the wall if you have to disassemble and then repair the hole. Same with chem set studs. you basically need to angle grind them off.

You can use cement screws (masonary anchor). they are like coach screws for wood, but bite into brick and concrete. you can get these out and then fill the hole.

biggest problem with dyna bolts is that they are hard to get out of the wall if you have to disassemble and then repair the hole. Same with chem set studs. you basically need to angle grind them off.

You can use cement screws (masonary anchor). they are like coach screws for wood, but bite into brick and concrete. you can get these out and then fill the hole.

You mean like http://www.ramset.com.au/fileupload/product/ANKASCREw.jpg ? that is what I used on mine after approval from the coppers.

I will grind them off and clean up the wall, its inside a large built in wardrobe so it wont be as ugly as it could be.

The reason I used chemsets was also because bricks have a tendancy to crumble with dyno bolts, also if load is on the bolts chemsets tend to hold the brick together with the "glue" and stops cracking ect in the walls

the trick with dyna bolts is to drill the length of the thread if possible deeper so when you remove it, you can hammer the bolt just under the the wall and then spackle over it and you would never know

the trick with dyna bolts is to drill the length of the thread if possible deeper so when you remove it, you can hammer the bolt just under the the wall and then spackle over it and you would never know

agreed, I used to work at a hardware shop, that is the advise the supplier advised us (to advise customers) if the question came up. It has to do with side grip so drilling it longer has no ill effect but is advantageous long term.

Just bolt it in a cupboard and don't tell the real estate agent they arnt allowed to look in there its a invasion of privacy . Then when you leave unbolt and patch holes with filler and a bit of paint no problem . What they don't know wont hurt them if you fix it up later .

hello all, first off interesting facts about different legislations for different states, being in nsw it dosnt seem as "strick" as some other states, but i got some great ideas from everyone who commented and ended up getting a 5 gun safe for a bargin, and fixed it to a wall stud that is inside a built in wardrobe that covers an entire wall, and to add that all locks up aswell, so i saved myself a good amount of $$$ so big thanks to everyone here

Just bolt it in a cupboard and don't tell the real estate agent they arnt allowed to look in there its a invasion of privacy . Then when you leave unbolt and patch holes with filler and a bit of paint no problem . What they don't know wont hurt them if you fix it up later .

hi all

i have a rental so i cant drill holes so what i did this time around was to make a small mould up at work and purchased 120kg of lead and poured myself some ingots of lead...i also have three safes bolted together on the side to each orther,so the weight of the three safes and the lead and the size of these i dont think anyone will get away with my safes..i place a piece of marine carpet over the lead to hide it....ash

hi all

i have a rental so i cant drill holes so what i did this time around was to make a small mould up at work and purchased 120kg of lead and poured myself some ingots of lead...i also have three safes bolted together on the side to each orther,so the weight of the three safes and the lead and the size of these i dont think anyone will get away with my safes..i place a piece of marine carpet over the lead to hide it....ash

Edited by pignfish