Gut Hooks

bullzye

Hey Bull get a piece of dowl/tube that is the same size as the gap inbetween the hook get some fine-med wet n dry sand paper wrap around the dowl/tube and push away from the edge. Its not the best method but it will get it sharp at home in the shed,and will not cost a small fortune.

1S1K ((0))

What about a small cylindrical file?

Will work Phill but are a bit harsh and can really wear the steel out pretty fast

1S1K ((0))

P.S just a note if you tape the first 15-20mm of the knife point with electical tape then the chance of punturing the stoach is greatly reduced

A file will be way too harsh unless the thing is almost a wright off.If you chase around a bit you will find some of the knife stores carry small diamond hones.You could try "KING OF KNIVES" I think they are in most large shopping complexes.A butchers supply co is also a good bet.Sharpening is a tedious task,if you rub a file over a good edge you will have twice the work to bring it back again.Good Luck!

SMITHY

Before you start hooking in and removing bulk metal from your gut hook, you might want to try just bringing the edge back up again.

You get a piece of cord (the climbing type stuff that feels sort of smooth) and tie is somewhere nice and tight between say 2 trees (or pergola posts) Then rub some polishing rouge on it and run your gut hook along it going away from you so you don’t cut the cord.

This will polish the edge back up and with it polished it will work as a gut hook heaps better than if it is rough from filing or whatever.

Keep the cord really tight, and just go nice and light so you don’t cut into the steel too much and change the angle of the edge too much.

Thanks guys some good ideas floated there and as far as the file goes I dont put one near any of my knives. Still remember the threats of death from the old blokes that showed me a bit about knives as a kid. Thanks again for your ideas.