Time To Get My Lifetime Knife.

Hairyhunter

I was hoping this would be easy and that there was a master cutler in our midst that would tell me get this that and the other, because........:blink:

Tezza did you choose these specifically or did you end up with them by default and ended up happy with them? What do you like about them over others you may have used, apart from some obvious advantages like disposable blades not being a hassle to sharpen and such.

HH, if your after a hand made knife, try Myron Husiak on 0393156752 in Melbourne, He makes fabulous cutlery, and specializes in Damascus.You can do a google search on him and get a bit of a run down.

Edited by old55

HH, if your after a hand made knife, try Myron Husiak on 0393156752 in Melbourne, He makes fabulous cutlery, and specializes in Damascus.You can do a google search on him and get a bit of a run down.

Thanks Old55, I googled Myron and can't find much, only a mention in a few mags and knife maker associations, no website or examples of his work. Does he do working knives or mainly art, if you know what i mean? Do you own any of his work? How long is a piece of string and what are his prices like? :)

So being it a fairly standard hardness blade, and I'm not being a smart ass, why do you pay quite a bit more than simillar other blades out there, what other advantages do you find with the white hunters? I know that sometimes its just that a knife feels great in you hand, what's it for you with the Puma?

I must be starting to sound quite annoying guys and thanks for bareing with me. but I want this to be my last knife purchase, ever. I would like to get it right.

My dad bought one years ago when they were only about 100$ but now there about 500. For me it's the puma because I reckon the are one of the best looking knifes around and they feel great. But it us up to you get a knife that feels good in your hands

Edited by hunta20

Thanks Old55, I googled Myron and can't find much, only a mention in a few mags and knife maker associations, no website or examples of his work. Does he do working knives or mainly art, if you know what i mean? Do you own any of his work? How long is a piece of string and what are his prices like? :)

I have supplied materials for his forge, so no, I havent got a knife from him.

His knives are working knives, but some are absolute works of art.

Myron also does a lot of folding knives

But putting the philosophy aside, it would be nice to finish a few carcasses without having to touch up the blade at all

Cost doesn't always indicate worth.

If all you want is a knife that can cut up a few deer without needing to be put on a stone there are plenty of cheaper options.

I make my own knives and the L6 I use can be left at 60 and will quarter (and skin) half a dozen fallow without you even steeling it. Spyderco and others make knives out of S30V which is tempered to 60 and you get the same out of them. The problem for most guys is that when it needs a touch up they are not up to it themselves and they can never get the original edge back on it.

You could also carry a much cheaper knife with a softer edge and just have a small steel with you as well. Just touch it up regularly.

This little Benchmade did a whole fallow, and more back at camp before it needed any attention to the edge

grippyatwork2.jpg

That knife and one of these

IMG_4989.jpg

is all I need to carry to cut up a weekends worth of deer kills

One of mine I often carry

smallhunterinsnakewood2.jpg

in action

newpatterntest1.jpg

Of course there are plenty of intangibles that come in to anybodies decision to buy almost anything. Style has influence of substance whether we recognise it or not. Plenty of people buy what they like and then spend a lot of time looking for reasons why it was the right choice, we all do it (and if it didn't work this way we would all be carrying a slaughter-man's knife set ;) ), and the trick is to just accept that it will happen and move on :)

Jindy, I think you hit the nail on the head mate, I am indeed looking for a justification to spend that much on a knife, it was "love at first sight".

I suppose the other thing that worries me is that the Knives of Alaska Tripple combo had the same effect on me when I had first seen that set, then I came across their premium range and had largely gone of the tripple combo since. I don't want to come across my next dream knife a couple of weeks after I spend $800-$900 0n the friction forged combo.... So I suppose I am having a good scout around now to make sure there is nothing out there I might like more.

It would be really sick if I get the new set and continue to carry my good old favourites in the field still.

For the guys that are interested this is what I usually take out with me on a trip currently: The rest, most of them mint stay at home.

Helle

Harding

I use this as a general bushcraft knife to hang of my belt when camping, It's got a tripple laminated stainless blade and the handle is handmade curly birch and rosewood. Its a very light and compact knife 8 1/2 inches overall with a 4" blade that holds a great edge, I have shaved with it a couple of times. Made in Norway, Helle have been making knives since 1932.

SAM_0072.JPG

Schrade

153 UH (Uncle Henry series)Golden Spike" & 49'er series 491

Both these are quite old and heavy made of solid high carbon tool steel, hence a fantastic egde but they do tend to stain a lot, it never bothered me the staining adds character. The Golden spike on the left is from the early 70's, this is my main skinner and the 49'er on ther right is from the 50ty's or 60ty's, I use that to bone. Both are about 8 1/2 inches so nice to work with. Made in USA before the chinese started making Schrade knives after 2004.

SAM_0065.JPG

Schrade

127 UH (Uncle Henry series) "Folding hunter" (liner lock 5 1/4 inches closed)

This one is a bit more current from the 80ty's and in stainless steel, I use this for food prep and eating etc. usually floats around in my pack or pocket, lost the sheath. Also USA made

SAM_0071.JPG

SAM_0076.JPG

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread as I have made some decisions on my knife dilemma and BTW thanks for your advice guys I checked out all the recommendations made and they were all superb cutlery.

I decided that Ireally wanted to try the sharpest knife on the planet so I bought myself a Diamond blades knife, the modelI got was probably a little unusual as it is a survival knife with a Kydex sheath. But I have no doubt that if push comes to shove it will not have a problem skinning, quartering and boning a boar or deer. The handle on mine is different to the one below, it looks a bit like the braided stainless stuff on performance hoses, it is called Titanium Texalium.

diamond%20blade%20pd1.jpg

• Heat Treat: Friction Forged® D2 High Carbon…
  • Blade Bevel: 4.5° wedge grind with a 18-20°…
  • Blade Depth: 1.09"
  • Blade Thickness: 0.160"
  • Blade Style: Personal Defense/Survival Knife
  • Blade Length: 5.649"
  • Knife Length: 11.500"
  • Knife Weight: 8.0 oz.
  • Spine Rc Hardness: 42-44
  • Blade Rc Hardness: 65-68
  • Designer: Charles Allen

And because I am indecisive, to my detriment, I also got the set that I had my eye on for a few years, These are the actual knives I am getting, they are on there way over from the U.S.

koa%20trip%20combo%20bare%20knives.jpgkoa%20trip%20combo.jpg

The Cleaver and Skinner specs:

• Metal: D2
  • Rockwell Hardness: 59-61
  • Bevel: 22 - 25°
  • Knife Length: 7-1/2"
  • Blade Length: 3-1/2"

The caping knifeis is just 440C stainles,

As much as I wanted to cull my collection I will probably end up with all your recommendations eventually. I gotta stay of this forum :lol:

Also forgot to mention that I bought these at the same time, I always wanted to get a good boning knife so I got a KOA to match my triple combo set; and have never tried Spyderco, so I also got a Syderco Military Camo with a CPM-S30V blade, U.S. made.

KOA boning knife JAEGER: to match the triple combo

KOA%20JAEGER.jpg

Spyderco: Military camo G10 scales and CPM-S30V blade

spyderco%202.jpg%24%28KGrHqV%2C%21hcE1iPF9FrrBNhloPH%2Chg~~_12.jpgspyderco%201.jpg

I am just a sucker for U.S. made cutlery

One of my life time knifes is laying at the bottom of buloake lake.

Some how the other babe survived, a chepo havlon, but i love it.

It did get me on the way out of the boat across the back of a finger to the bone, as they would.

Kind of funny wondering if you will either drown or bleed to death which will be first :D

But i lost the knife and the respected belt that it rested upon.

Now its get another one and start work on the blade again to get it right.

Hours of work involved.

Whats this all about? are you happy to loose you favourite expensive knife?

PS hairy

The only one in that bunch i would bother with is the one with the gut hook.

Thats all you need mate. Skins, guts, cuts, you name it.

One of my life time knifes is laying at the bottom of buloake lake.

Some how the other babe survived, a chepo havlon, but i love it.

It did get me on the way out of the boat across the back of a finger to the bone, as they would.

Kind of funny wondering if you will either drown or bleed to death which will be first :D

But i lost the knife and the respected belt that it rested upon.

Now its get another one and start work on the blade again to get it right.

Hours of work involved.

Whats this all about? are you happy to loose you favourite expensive knife?

PS hairy

The only one in that bunch i would bother with is the one with the gut hook.

Thats all you need mate. Skins, guts, cuts, you name it.

You know the old saying Optic, "it'sbetter to have loved and lost"

Don't you recognize a fetish when you see one mate :lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:P

Check out knives by Bill Sanders in the US or just as good Tom Krein also in the US. Me personally I have a few knives from Jens Anso and Bill Siegle.

Mattblack, I suppose its a matter of taste, for some reason I have been more into the classical, traditional, designs and production knives as they are cheaper than the custom ones naturally. Though having said that even the diamond blade I just got retails mid $400's US. and other models upward of $500.

The diamond blade PH1 I got is more an exception to the rule and so is the camo spyderco, both are a bit too modern for my taste.

Don't get me wrong, I am familiar with the stuff the guys you mention do and they do it extremely well, just not to my taste. Call me boring but I usually gravitate toward the Schrade, Camillus designs. I almost bought a Jess Horne C27 Spyderco last week, but that's about as modern I want to go. I also like Bob Loveless a lot, but who doesn't.

Post some pics mate and lets take a look at your knives, don't be shy :) .I love to look at knives.

I was hoping this would be easy and that there was a master cutler in our midst that would tell me get this that and the other, because........:blink:

Tezza did you choose these specifically or did you end up with them by default and ended up happy with them? What do you like about them over others you may have used, apart from some obvious advantages like disposable blades not being a hassle to sharpen and such.

Seems i'm a bit late in replying. My appologies.

Looks like you got some nice knives though mate. That Knives of Alaska set looks the goods, i've got one of their saws and it's a beaut. That Diamondblade crackers looks like a beautiful bit of craftsmanship.

As for my choices, I chose the Fallkniven F1 as I was looking for a good alround bushcraft knife and I saw that alot of the guys her were really into bushcraft were using Fallkniven F1's. I figure, why re-invent the wheel. If that's what most people are using, then there must be some merrit to it.

The Ka-Bar I like as it's tough as nails and really handy around camp, whether for quickly knocking up some wooden pegs to anchor a tarp with, cutting up some vegies for dinner or even using the pommel to hammer something home. Takes a pretty decent edge as well.

The Canadian belt knife is just a fantastic and user friendly design that really makes skinning much easier. They're well made as well.

The Piranta means that I never have to stop in the middle of skinning/caping to sharpen my knife. Old blade off, new blade on, keep going.......I hate sharpening knives mid task.

Another knife that's given me exceptional value for money is my Mora. Sharp as a razor, only cost me about $30.

If your spending alot of money on knives, I recommend you get yourself some Japanese Whetstones. They're bloody brilliant, will give a quality knife back it's razor edge in no time. Bought mine through the mob at the link below:

http://www.chefsarmoury.com/sharpening-stones/naniwa-superstones/cat_153.html

Thanks Tezza, sounds like you have some great blades yourself.

I checked out the Jap stones they look like excellent stones. I currently use Arkansas Stones and have about 1/2 a dozen different ones, they seem to do the job. I also got sucked into a couple of knife sharpening systems which I have yet to use. It has always seemed like a bit of a hassle to set them up. I seem to be able to put an edge on the blade, that I can shave with, once I learned how to sharpen them properly. I think you will agree that the technique is at least as important, if not more, than the sharpening medium. I have seen a you-tube vid of a guy getting a shaving sharp edge on smooth concrete.

How do you compare your stones to Arkansas stones? Do you think I would get a noticeably better result? I have my eye on the 8000 grit stone, which grades do you use?

Also I am researching how to sharpen this bloody friction forged Diamond blade, It is currently new and shaving sharp, but I expect that once I hack into a few bones and antlers it might need a touch up, bit I need some diamond based medium for an RC of 65-68 steel I think.

The main thing I am also struggling with is to get over the psychological barrier, not stuffing them into my collectors box and taking them out onto the field to see some action. I actually like to buy some used knives as it does not break my heart taking them out and actually continuing to use them.