Spotlighting With Hid

Jase

I have a night hunter kit from lightforce that has a 140 lance in it. I'm considering installing the HID conversion but wanted to see how many people spotlight using HID.

I am not sure on the temp of the kit, but it is most likely higher than the halogen that I'm used to. I've tried hunting under LED and find it quite off-putting (sorry fenring :P) because of the really white light, but that's probably because I'm just not used to it, but if the additional light output (and extended battery life) are worth it, I suppose I'll just get used to the higher color temp.

So who hunts with a HID light and Has anyone converted the night hunter kit to HID?

Jase

I got a couple of pro roo shoote rmates that use both and they say it bright but not as good for spotlighting if you got good scopes you dont need to burn their eyes out

stanard colour temp of hid is 4300K this is slighly above halogen i think.

5000K is the best hid colour to get is you want the brightest light output (highest lumen output) and is bright/diamond white

6000K is also good but is blue white in colour with slightly less lumens then 5000K

3000K is yellow like fog light

if you can get 4000-4100K might be closer to halogen

I have 5000k on my car and they are tops

You need to keep in mind that the HID lights need time to warm up before they are at there full output & on start up they will draw more power than a halogen light. HID lights also dont like to be switched on & off constantly. With a halogen you will have full power/light as soon as its on

Thats actually a good point. I thought that slow startup times were ballast related and a good ballast will limit that to 5 seconds or less, and that if you don't leave them off too long they are basically straight on. The other thing about not liking being on and off constantly is not something that I was aware of, does it damage or reduce the life of the bulb/ballast?

Jase

The only problem that I have experienced with HID shooting lights is that you can see the target clearly alot further than normal. You have to think twice about the distance to the target.

a85 yes that is true but it usually is up to full power in 15-20 sec.

but when you have a hid you are only using ~1/3 the power (35W vs 100W) so you don't have to keep turning it off as th draining the battery is a major concern with halogen

Thats actually a good point. I thought that slow startup times were ballast related and a good ballast will limit that to 5 seconds or less, and that if you don't leave them off too long they are basically straight on. The other thing about not liking being on and off constantly is not something that I was aware of, does it damage or reduce the life of the bulb/ballast?

Jase

From the two lights that I have used - both 240's with kits fitted - the time from cold to full light has only been 8 to 10 seconds but the time taken for the light to be as bright as a standard 240 is only a few seconds, some hid's have a blue tinge when they are at this stage. If the light has been off for only a short period of time both lights came back on at full brightness as soon as they were switched on.

Gigit make an excellent point re power useage. And Len, I guess thats something you could get used it.

I know the night hunter kits have a dimmer available for the halogen, and that I can handle. Given how HID works, is it dimmable? My intuition says no. Decrease voltage to the ballast and it won't be able to invert the voltage to the high enough level to keep the arc running. Someone with some more technical knowledge on this might be able to shed some light here.

Jase

Gigit make an excellent point re power useage. And Len, I guess thats something you could get used it.

I know the night hunter kits have a dimmer available for the halogen, and that I can handle. Given how HID works, is it dimmable? My intuition says no. Decrease voltage to the ballast and it won't be able to invert the voltage to the high enough level to keep the arc running. Someone with some more technical knowledge on this might be able to shed some light here.

Jase

Halogen is dimmable - but be wary of the Lightforce dimmer... I bought one new of eBay and it does not work then found out by googling that they are very tempremental.

I have now made a halogen dimmer that works great.

HID's cannot be dimmed. the light is made by an arc like welding and it will just turn off if dimmed.