Leather Work?

Hi,

Any one know anyone in or near Sydney the could make a sheath knife pouch? It seems the local boot maker cant make any leather goods anymore!

I have a knife, not the worlds greatest but I have had and used it for over twenty years and it needs a new sheath. Nothing intricate just a heavy grade leather with a simple, yet strong restraint ( either a strap over or across the handle style- it doesn't matter as long as the knife stays in)

If anyone knows someone who is capable please pass on their details.

Cheers

i don't know of any custom sheath makers in sydney

but searching google with "custom leather knife sheaths" returned many, many results in the usa, and with the exchange rate the way it is, this would be a financially viable alternative... usa has some of the best leather fabricators in the world...

also search through ebay with a 'worldwide' search of 'custom leather sheath' and you may find something that somebody has already made that will fit your particular knife...

there are also some aussie blokes who make very nice stuff from kangaroo leather and also croc skin looks bloody nice too, aussie made sheaths are rather expensive, but look a lot better...

sorry i cant give you any specific names or details...

Thanks for the advice, I wanna send my knife to the leather worker and have the sheath fitted to the knife. I have tried two off the shelf sheaths and have found they don't hold on and I lose my knife.

I was hoping for a local guy who either did it as a hobby and wanted some cash - or did leatherwork for a living. Croc skin would be great now you mention it.

There used to be some leather guys at the Easter show so this year I took my knife but it seems the hand made stuff has lost out to the Chinese import stuff.

Thanks for the advice, I wanna send my knife to the leather worker and have the sheath fitted to the knife. I have tried two off the shelf sheaths and have found they don't hold on and I lose my knife.

I was hoping for a local guy who either did it as a hobby and wanted some cash - or did leatherwork for a living. Croc skin would be great now you mention it.

There used to be some leather guys at the Easter show so this year I took my knife but it seems the hand made stuff has lost out to the Chinese import stuff.

Unwins ask a knife maker they must know somebody or craft markets have stalls there that have make leather goods

Edited by awr-finlight

Heres one I finished off for myself on the weekend. It's really not hard once you have the materials and tools, this dvd is a great help too:

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?products_id=715

Heres one I finished off for myself on the weekend. It's really not hard once you have the materials and tools, this dvd is a great help too:

Did you make that from scratch??

thats bloody amazing with all the detail. :goodjob::goodjob:

How many hours for that one??

I'm with cam, that looks fantastic mate! :thumbsu::goodjob:

Took about 1.5-2 hrs for the sheath and a good few more hrs than that for the knife. The basket weave and other in the leather is just some stamping while the leather is softened with a dab of water. Ive been wanting to make a snake skin one like on the cover of the dvd but a good skin is pricey.

Nice work AH.

I just get a decent bit of hide and rivet it together.

I have a bad habit of cutting the leather when i put them in.

Rivets help to stop that.

Are you putting in a welt ?(piece of leather between the folded parts). In my experiance the welt stops the cutting of the stitches. The method i use is the same as shown on the dvd.

I didnt bother due to the fact that the hide is over 4mm thick.

When ever i get the chance to grab a thick hide i do so as they make great slings and belts etc.

I have a bit of a fetish for sharp knifes.

I made my own sharpener and i use diamond hones 200, 400 and 600grit and finish off with a milk stone.

They are sharp, but its the way i make the sheath thats the problem.

I dont allow the handle to be located in the sheath, and there lies the problem i think.

Thanks for the idea i might try one like yours without the fancy stuff.

Cheers