New Hunting Kit

Hi all,

My birthday was earlier this month and I decided I needed to spoil myself. Conveniently, I was also in desperate need of new hunting clothing/footwear as it had been a long time and many a hunt since my last purchase.

So, with our dollar at an all-time high, I set about to scouring Cabelas.com and this is what I came up with:

5982489487_59995d859a_z.jpg

5982489329_d8d1bf3f7b_z.jpg

5982489201_0a533d4e77_z.jpg

5983050964_09d292a444_z.jpg

5983051302_fb91711636_z.jpg

5983051030_c6e6b0c9f3_z.jpg

Basically summer and winter wear, with the jacket being 100% waterproof and insulated and the boots waterproof and GoreTex (which also features in numerous other items, as does ScentLok [which I think is a bit of a gimmick anyway]). I chose RealTreeAPHD for all (except boots which have minimal but similar camo) as it best suits the drier and duller colours of the areas I hunt.

STILL TO COME: insulated and waterproof pants that had to be backordered.

Cabela's have a great sizing system and charts and an extremely useful LiveChat for any questions regarding the order. Unfortunately, the USPS post they use does not offer a tracking option but all arrived within 2 weeks any way so can't complain! As to price, I can say that had I spent the same amount in Australia, I would have only had an equivalent pair of boots and jacket to show for it...

Well worth a look-in IMO.

Cheers,

Zubtec

I think you just answered my question zubtec... What would be the best way to choose the actual cammo, what would be a good all round design of the pattern if that makes sense. Roughly how much did the gear cost you minus the boots as I all ready have a pair of chippewars from the states

Well done Zubtec, how exciting is it getting the new gear! :thumbsu:

I have done exactly the same thing over the last month although my birthday isn't officially till August but have also bought new gear as a birthday pressie treat as most years i get nothing so this year its all on :)

I bought the same boots from cabelas and they arrived on monday just been, they are super comfy aye and very well priced including shipping. hoping to go out and for a little hike this weekend and try em out a little. :thumbsu:

also got new day pack, jacket, pants, socks, boreguide, gloves, and a few other little goodies. only thing i havent upgraded but would really like to is a new knife but i am having to much troubel making a decision... what are the ones you picked up there?

cheers

Rowes

I think you just answered my question zubtec... What would be the best way to choose the actual cammo, what would be a good all round design of the pattern if that makes sense. Roughly how much did the gear cost you minus the boots as I all ready have a pair of chippewars from the states

G'day Cam,

Just saw your other thread! Ha ha.

Mate, as to camo patterns, I would have a look at cabelas.com and check out what they have to offer. There are numerous kinds available with each item of clothing. Then, get a few photos up of your typical hunting areas next to them in order to compare and contrast. As I said, the duller browns, greys and greens of RealTree suit my hunting area really well (actually looks really similar to typical tussock and casuarina forest areas!). I also think it would fare well in most parts of Australia where vibrant colours (besides green) are rare. There are Australian manufacturers now producing camo gear for Australian conditions (e.g. ContraCam etc...) I have no doubt that they would be great but I can't justify the prices, especially when, as said above, what I bought suits my needs precisely.

Speaking of price, excluding the boots and bipod, I spent just over $500.00 AUS incl. shipping that includes: jacket (the most $), 2 pairs of pants, shirt, gloves and beanie. Bargain IMO!

Good luck mate and let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Zubtec

what are the ones you picked up there?

cheers

Rowes

Mate, my apologies. Those knives were not from Cabela's. They were there for size comparison/set-the-scene. Sorry for any confusion.

The larger is an older Nieto that I have had for years and the smaller is a brand new fold-out Black Fox I received as a gift for my birthday - picked up in Italy and is made by an Italian manufacturer:

http://www.foxcutlery.com/en/page/1/company.html

And yes, the boots are awesome! thumbsu.gif

Cheers,

Zubtec

What's the fixed blade mate? Puma?

You can never have too many... :sword:

Nah mate. It's a Nieto with 7 inch blade. But the model name escapes me ATM.

Not a bad knife but not the greatest. Great memories though as it was bought by my dad for my birthday about 10 years ago from the Brewarrina, NSW newsagency. Has been on every hunting trip since smile.gif.

Hey mate, any problems getting the knife through customs? I want to order one, but am worried it will be detained and wont get to me

Mate I have travelled countless times with knives in my CHECKED BAGGAGE. I don't believe it is illegal or an issue (at least it hasn't been for me). Of course, it is illegal to have a knife in your carry-on luggage.

As for import, certain bladed weapons are forbidden; but not your traditional hunting knives - they are still allowed .

http://www.customs.g...adedWeapons.pdf

Hey mate, any problems getting the knife through customs? I want to order one, but am worried it will be detained and wont get to me

Just check out the prohibited weapons sched if you are after something specific.

The short of it is; single edged fixed blades are fine - no issues. If it is a folder, single edge that does not and can not open in any way automatically is fine. No 'punch' or 'knuckle' knives/instruments.

I check in numerous knives ALWAYS; NEVER had an issue and I travel a lot...

Nah mate. It's a Nieto with 7 inch blade. But the model name escapes me ATM.

Not a bad knife but not the greatest. Great memories though as it was bought by my dad for my birthday about 10 years ago from the Brewarrina, NSW newsagency. Has been on every hunting trip since smile.gif.

Nice one - thx. I almost brought a Puma last time I was in the US, I'll get one next time... It looks similar to the one your posted...

I've travelled with knives and have had no problems (had them in my checked-in luggage). Same with firearms and ammo

The reason I ask re online orders is that I have ordered a few things from Cabelas before, and upon opening the package at home have found a nice little letter from Customs along the lines of "Customs has inspected your package under Act XX blah blah blah". Got me thinking that they would stop anything remotely dangerous getting though (although from the follow-up posts in this thread it appears not...)

Cheers

Mate you forgot the face paint and the night vision.