Help With Spotting Scope

G'day guys, im looking at buying a spotting scope. i dont wanna spend too much because im hardly gonna be using it. whats the down falls of going for the cheap and nasty option? or what do u guys recommend for quality at a budget price? cheers in advance :)

Nottelling, I've personally never seen a range finder that has anywhere near 30x zoom on it. My range finder has a 4x zoom.

I bought my spotting scope from Australia Post for cheap. Less then $200 and for the amount of times I use it it's ok.

The common issues with cheaper spotting scopes (as well as binoculars and rifle scopes) can be a slightly fuzzy image that can never be fully focused. An off colour image. A dark image in full sunlight and almost unusable in low light conditions. Poor eye relief.

The one from Aust post I have seems to pretty ok but on the last part. Eye relief. At high zoom of 70x you can't hold your eye right up to it, but you can't hold it too far away. You've got to be in the right spot to see the full image and it can be hard to do that sometimes. But as I said, for the times I do use it at the gun range, it's ok and I won't bother buying a better one.

For in the field, I have Redfield binoculars 10x power and that's all I need (plus the 4x power Leupold range finder).

I'm also interested in buying a spotting scope. Something for the shooting range only, suitable for .243 up to 300 yards, .22 rimfire up to 100 yards.

Been doing some research online and so far like what Iv'e read on the Redfield Rampage. Going to the U.S. later this month so will have a look over there.

CJ

Edited by CJR

Depends what your using it for. If it's just for range use, then going cheap won't matter too much. If it's for hunting however, noting that most people that use spotting scopes for hunting are trying to spot trophy potential, then the same rules apply as for binoculars and scopes, buy the best quality you can afford.

I brought a Celestron Ultima80 20x60 x80 .Its not a Kowa but with a Collins Stand its very stable on the bench or Prone.I can see bullet holes easy at 100mtrs and mirage shows up pretty good too.