Gun Storage Question

Velocity

Hey everyone,

I'm new to all of this and just doing a little research prior to obtaining my shooters licence and a rifle or two. My question is, I live in an apartment. It's my place, not a rental. I have a padlocked storage cage in a downstairs carpark area with a concrete floor that would be ideal for a gun safe. Could I legally store firearms in the storage cage? It forms part of my property and would be easier than fitting a safe inside the apartment, where I would have to sacrifice some already tight wardrobe space.

yeah agree with optic. its gonna be harder and harder for recreational shooters and holders of LEGAL firearms to keep thier guns on property with out enough security to put alcatraz to shame

How secure is the lockup?

From your description, it sounds like a chain-link fence type setup, in which case I'd say no way.

In any case, I'd rather them where I have mine, in my bedroom.

I also object to storing my firearms off site at a club armourer. Because that requires you to belong to a club who has an armourer AND what happens if you want your firearms on the weekend when the armourer is out hunting himself?

Depends on your state.

I'm in vic and have never been inspected in the 4 years I've had my licence (which reminds me, I'd better check the dates and start on some paperwork soon, don't want it to expire while waiting for the new one).

In Vic, they are relying on general cops to volunteer (ie do overtime) to do the inspections as they don't have enough assigned to do them. Both my old man and I have been inspected once in the last 5 years. Dad has had his licence for over 50 years so it's not just new shooters on the list.

So you should expect to get inspected but there's no telling when.