Spotlight

Cazof88

Hey all,

I was looking at getting a spotlight for a bit of rabbit and fox hunting but don't really know where to begin. Can anyone please give some advice on what to look for in a good spotlight and what some decent brands are?

Lightforce are great.

They are made from polycarbonate and really light. Have a focusing beam.

Go the 170 for hand held/Rifle mounting

Put a red filter on and you can still spot foxes at 300m.

240 is bigger and brighter, but also heavier and more suited for handheld/Vehicle mounted.

You can put HID's in them, lightforce have a kit to do it.

I have a Scope mounted 170 and also a pair of 170 for the front of the car whisle driving. I busted up one of the car spotlights when my handbrake let go and my car rolled into a another in front... one of the spotlights busted up the outer casing. Simple fix - used some Perspex/Acrylig solvent/glue and sealed it back together and it's water tight - can't be happier than that.

Awesome thanks for the quick reply guys. I'm looking at a handheld one I guess as I don't think I'm skilled enough to control a spotlight while driving and still be able to shoot. Is there a difference between a red light and just normal light?

Red filter does not spook the Rabits and foxes etc so you can get closer to them and they don't bolt. Harder to see with but the eyes are lit up like lasers

If your thinking about a hand held light - eg with a handle...

then think about getting the Rifle mounted spotlight. It comes with detachable clip for scope. (Really good when you go solo spotlighting! )

And it can still be easily detached the rifle sling over the shoulder and the spotlight used as a handheld.

Followed your advice AusToz and did a few searches but found a good past thread about and ordered the Ultrafire WF-008 with the Velcro mounts from dealsdirect. Hopefully it'll do the trick but if not looking at the Lightforce 240 that you mentioned len. The Lightforce spotlights all look awesome but a fair bit pricier than the cheap Ultrafire WF-008. Thanks for the help guys

Nice, where did you get the solid mount from? Im going to try the velcro one but I'm worried it wont be big enough to go past the top of my scope, if you get what I mean. Im also a little confused of how it is going to work because how will the light be exactly where my scope is aimed unless the flashlight produces a large actual light. Do you have your flashlight pointing down slightly or just the exact same angle as you scope (I thought this may result in the light being just higher than my scopes field of view)

you wiggle it around till it's right. i got the solid mount from deal extreme. Its meant to have the diamond shaped end on the barrel and the round end on your light, but I switched it so the round end fits the scope and the triangle end fits the light with some slightly longer screws and filing the light back a bit to fit.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-75-inch-flashlight-and-laser-universal-gun-mount-5819?item=153

I had to laugh at last years agfest this guy was selling them for $45 each and he sold out!! Dad was getting the light, the spotlight lens, batteries, charger, mount and pressure switch for $36 all together!! He ended up selling like 12 sets at $100 each! Sneaky bugger didn't even give me a cut!!

If you are going to fit a scope mount light then a 240 Lightforce is not a suitable substitute for an ultrafire torch it makes no sense at all.

The best Lightforce for a scope mount for rabbits is a 140 lense with a 50 watt globe adjusted toa tight spot it will still show up a fox at 100 meters it is compact and easy to fit and has low battery drain . I am not even sure thay make a scope fitting for a 240 lense.

You could go a 170 with a 100 watt globe but you will be lugging a much bigger battery or spotting time will be much shorter.

Modern Led torches are a good light compact option for casual hunting and have excellent performane to weight ratio.