New Spot Light Help

hey guys went out shooting tonight with my brothers got to the property got set up only to relise the spotlight was broken which im not overly upset didnt really like it was a cheapy my brother bought. looking for a really good hand held spotlight ive got a led torch for the top of the rifle just need something to spot the game, LGS advised the lightforce 240 blitz is this one of the best options? he said later on you can upgrade it to hid if you wernt happy with the lights performance. what are you guys all useing moneys not a big issue willl be using it for rabbits and foxs

cheers tom

spacehub

I have a Lightforce 240 with the green and red lense covers but tend to just use it clear. I find this more than edequate with the standard globe. The set-up I use is like this one.

23072c17.jpg

Regards

I think the 240 is a bit over kill for foxes and rabbits - unless you need to hit them over 300m+

170 will do just fine even with red lens - this is what i use for foxes and rabbits.

The 240 works well. I also have the 140 scope mounted.

ATM I don't use either. I have a big led torch that does a BETTER job. You can see its glow over the pair of HID driving lights that cost three times as much.

It's the Fenix TK70. It says you can use alkaline D size batteries. But only at reduced power. I spent $230 on the torch and $140 on 8 Ni-Mh D size batteries (one spare set ready to go). I took it to the Gatta to show the guys. One of them might pop in to give you their thoughts on it.

For me, not only it is brighter with a better spill, it weighs less and is more compact.

The Lightforce 240 works very well for mine. Not expensive and fairly robust. I also have a 170 scope mounted. Both these units are plugged in to permanent power outlets in the back of the ute. We spot the foxes with the big light then turn it off and pick up the rifle (.204 Ruger) with the 170 on it. If they hang a long way off or if there are fences between us and distance dictates it, then we will light them up with the 240 to give as bright a sight picture as we can get for the loooong shots.

They're both good lights I have a WolfEyes 260 Sniper LED torch as well. It has an upgraded Cree LED Bulb that gives 350 lumens. Rifle mounted on the 17 HMR it works nicely. There are more powerful LED torches out there but this one does me fine. If I was going to buy another WolfEyes, the NightHunter would be my pick.

Cheers,

FS.

Powabeam 11" HID, is a damn search light! Love it.

My mate has one of those and the only problem is that you can see game further away than you can shoot :thumbsu:

My mate has one of those and the only problem is that you can see game further away than you can shoot :thumbsu:

So true Len, so much so that I'm having to think about getting another rifle, the 22mag can't reach anywhere near the end of the beam and them damn fox's are staying further out now that I have shot a few (sounds like a good enough reason to me....hehehe). On a previous post about my own search for a spotlight, if you recall, it was yourself that put me in the direction of where I could get the Powabeam 11" HID from, an then I reported its far flung reach later in same post....somewhere between 2-3Km!!! (that was an a some what reflective surface - ie: side of a truck).

Outstanding bit of kit.

Edited by Gibs

thanks for all the info at the moment ive just got two wolf eyes torches sniper II for my U/O and sea lion hunter on top the 17hmr which is good for that gun but doesnt really do the 204 much justice im thinking of getting the 170 for the top of the 204 and either the 240 of the 11inch powerbeam how heavy is the power beam compared to the 240 blitz

thanks for all the info at the moment ive just got two wolf eyes torches sniper II for my U/O and sea lion hunter on top the 17hmr which is good for that gun but doesnt really do the 204 much justice im thinking of getting the 170 for the top of the 204 and either the 240 of the 11inch powerbeam how heavy is the power beam compared to the 240 blitz

My 204 with the 170 Scope mount - it's a perfect match. ( i have since moved the rings and put the light behind the turrents to move the weight back)

080901Buster1stFox5thBulletfromNew.jpg

8e6d263e.jpg

Edited by Gigitt

good taste in gun what do you think of it ive yet to recieve mine although its paid for havent got to hold it yet hopfully end of next week what did the 170 kit cost with all the mounts and do you run a battery pack of just off the car battery

good taste in gun what do you think of it ive yet to recieve mine although its paid for havent got to hold it yet hopfully end of next week what did the 170 kit cost with all the mounts and do you run a battery pack of just off the car battery

T3 is a great gun.Quick to operate and can take a beating. My stock has been bumped and knocked so many times and there is not a mark on it.

Varmint is a heavy gun - you have been told!. Out of the box Tack driver. I have also put a Set Trigger on it which makes a heap of difference for me on the longer shots.

Dunno what the Light Force 170 scope mount are worth now. I paid $160 at Ag quip 4-5 years ago now. Buy extra scope mounts for your other guns ~$25, makes swapping light onto guns for spotlighting easy peasy.

In the first Photo you can see my battery backpack. I use a 20Ah gel battery with a cigarette lighter adapter.

Since Dad passed, all of my spotlighting has on foot. I take the motorbike then go walkies.

gun looks great so youve changed the stock trigger and did yours come with the picatinny rail and wat rings and mount do you use i like how low you scope is looks good is that a bushnell elite

Setup:

Tikka T3 Picatinnay 0moa Black Rail

Tikka T3 Set Trigger

Leupold VXIII 8.5-25x50 VH recticle

Leupold PRW 30mm Med Rings

Butlercreek Flipup Covers

Tactical Bolt Handle

Aluminium Bolt Shroud

i was thinking about getting that scope my brother has a night force bench rest 8.5-32 but its bloody heavy and huge so i since told him i dont want that i was either going a ziess conquest 6.5 - 20x 50 or the leupold vx3 6.5 -20 x 50 what your opinions on the scope is the clarity good up to 30 is 8.5 to high for the gun and what did adding the pica tinny cost? I'm putting the gun in a wild dog stock virtually straight away i love there varmint stock, also wild dog have the mag upgrade and trigger guard for like $340 its exactly the same as accuracy international mag and the roe dale trigger guard but just a lot cheaper and its and australian company they make 10 or 5 shot mags

nice options.

I was considering the Wild Dog Stock. I have handled a 17HMR with one and it felt the great.

My other favourite is the Whiskey-3 Chassis (W3C) (http://www.kineticresearchgroup.com/products/w3c.php)

as for scopes I love the 25x for sniping.

but I do not like the 8.5x the eye releif is very very narrow so I use it at 10x for close work.

would like to get a side mounted red dot for the pesky pigs - as I litterally am walking up to them and hitting them within 20m

thats pretty tactical looking stock mcmillian do similar tactical type stocks all so