New Led Torch Time

Hey All,

So I (of course by that I mean my lovely partner) lost my Jetbeam BC-40 (830 lumen) at the property the other day.

Sucks, although it means I get to look for a replacement which is exciting.

Anyway I was quite happy with the BC-40 scope mounted expect for the fact that I could not get red filters for it.

I have been looking at another Jetbeam BC-40, a Klarus XT30 and a thrunite catapault v3 (a little bit more than i wanted to spend).

I have been reading quite a bit on the forums here and you guys seem to be big fans of the Solarforce Pro-1 as a scope mounted thrower. It will spend the majority of its time on the 17Hummer chasing rabbits/foxes/cats. I definitely want something running 18650 batteries as I already have the charger and have found them to be great so far.

So I guess I wanted to ask, is this advice still current? Do you feel that the Pro-1 is still the way to go? Is the beam on the Solarforce too narrow to be used for spotting as well as shooting? Do you run another torch for spotting as well as the pro 1 for on the rifle?

Previously i was using the one torch for spotting and shooting.

Please let me know :P

Look through old post. Find the post and reviews on led torches.

That will tell you what you need to know.

And as far as new items on the block the same bloke will have the answer.

Most of us have and use them, it all boils down to what you want and how much your prepared to spend.

Good luck with it.

Yeah i understand that mate, but its hard to actually compare beams from what you see on youtube.

I hunt on foot 70% of the time, so i use my torch for spotting as well as shooting. Just wondering if the Pro 1 is going to be too narrow to spot with. Maybe the answer is 2 torches, a pro 1 scope mounted and then another torch to use in the hand for spotting. Just curious what you guys do, especially as the pro 1 comes so highly recommended from a few members.

Cheers,

I spot with my head mount. then switch to the led or a spot light.

Depends on where i am and what im shooting at.I use head mounted hand held and a spot light.

As i mentioned we use them but in most cases we all have different leds.

Yeah fair enough.

The problem with my previous set up with only one torch attached to scope was obviously having to carry the gun out the front and point it at anything i wanted to look at.

I think this would be solved by running a thrower (pro 1) scope mounted for shooting and then holding a torch in my hand to spot with. Just means I will need two torches instead of one. Better strike while the MRS is still feeling guilty about losing my torch.

Does anyone run a Pro-1 out to moderate distances, say 150m and can comment on how it performs?

Cheers again.

Yeah as Optic said its been covered extensivly on here in a number of posts. Have a search all the questions you have asked have been answered before. I use a jet beam m2s 1000lm on a lanyard for spotting and a wf008 mounted.

The tech is changing so quickly and new products coming out so often that its bloody hard to keep up. That being said though, the current stuff is still bloody good!

Imagine how it'll be in 5 years...

The Pro-1 is still a great thrower. It does have a tight centre spot but also some spill. If you want something that throws and lights up a big area too, then the

Solarforce M8 is currently being sold for a crazily small sum.

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?id=561&s=26&t=LF

One of the AHN boys has reviewed it.

So fenring would you recommend a set up like a Pro 1 scope mounted, and an m8 hand held for spotting?

I think two torches will have to be the way to go, saves carrying my gun awkwardly in front of me, which is tiring, and also pointing it at anything i want to look at, which is not ideal.

Cheers.

For a HMR IMO a rifle mounted thrower, with a floodier scouting torch on a lanyard is the go.

The M3 makes a great scouting light and in fact makes a decent rifle mounted light, though it won't throw as far as the Pro-1 or the M8.

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=LF&s=52&id=525&sname=m3&xpage=1&sh=1

I would perhaps add the battery extender for longer burntime.

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=FA&s=16&id=60

For a rifle mounted light, take your pick out of the Pro-1 and M8. If you want some serious flood as well as long throw then get the M8. If you want long, tight

throw then get the Pro-1.

Myself, I just use a P1 as my scouting torch.

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product.php?t=FB

with a three mode XP-G. I get a couple of hours out of a battery and it will pick up fox eyes from 300m easily. Also very light.

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=RB&s=10&id=113

One my rifle I use the M3 when I can whistle foxes in closer in summer. Later on when my shots are going to be longer, and less around I go to the Pro-1.

The M3 is also a great light for a .22 - I just run mine on medium and can shoot them at max .22LR range.

You're sending me broke, Fenring... Some more goodies in the way for me.

Used my M3 spotlighting a couple of nights ago and while everyone was impressed with it, the 20 y/o spotty still beat it for width out at 200m so a S1100 is on the way. Put a M8 in the order "for Sally" as well. Then I needed extra batteries and that battery holder looks pretty handy...

Can't wait to play with them! Solarforce is like the online torch version of bunnings. I can't go through it without buying something.

So my torches arrived today and so far i am very impressed. Seem like a good bit of kit.

I ended up getting an M8 for scope mounting and a l2p +2 extender tubes and a clip on/off red filter with a low voltage 3mode Xp-G for my spotter.

I`ll post an update once i have had a chance to take it out in the field, but so far so good.

Thanks for all your help guys.