Knife Laws

conco46

National park isn't a shopping centre though, they may just have kittens because a machete is used for slashing through scrub, and in NP's all fauna and flora is protected (repeating Gaf) so I cannot imagine why you'd be allowed, or require one unless you were doing what isn't allowed.

Guest d0gm34t

As gafloss said.

If you brought in your own timber that you planned to cut up into firewood at their approved fire places, then yes. Genuine reason.

In a state forest, no problems. Can't cut standing trees, but you can collect (and cut) fallen trees and limbs for firewood.

Remember, ANY reason that is LAWFUL and applies to your CURRENT situation.

If you are walking in a shopping centre with that machete and get asked what's the reason for having it.

Saying "I'm going camping and I use it to chop firewood" isn't going to cut it.

Saying "I'm going camping on my motorbike, I use it for chopping firewood and don't have a secure storage location on my bike" should be fine (unless the cop is looking to meet his/her quota).

LOL thanks, but i wont be carrying a machete in a shopping center.

There's talk of police blitzes in northern NSW pulling over vehicles who are obviously going camping &/or hunting and handing out fines for "illegal" knives. Even if those knives were stored in the guts of all the gear somewhere (ie, not readily accessible).

Now this is anecdotal and about 4th hand talk.

It was done on a long weekend and in an area where there would have been heaps of such vehicles travelling through.

So if that were 100% true, there must have been a LOT of cops there. I suspect there's an element of truth to it but probably only the people who gave the cops some lip would have been given the "full treatment".

As JYE87 says, I'd suggest your own attitude comes into it in 99% of dealings with the constabulary. Like anybody, give them lip and they'll react negatively.

The moral of the story - if you're in NSW, make sure you store your equipment appropriately and be nice to the police :)

Guest d0gm34t

There's talk of police blitzes in northern NSW pulling over vehicles who are obviously going camping &/or hunting and handing out fines for "illegal" knives. Even if those knives were stored in the guts of all the gear somewhere (ie, not readily accessible).

Now this is anecdotal and about 4th hand talk.

It was done on a long weekend and in an area where there would have been heaps of such vehicles travelling through.

So if that were 100% true, there must have been a LOT of cops there. I suspect there's an element of truth to it but probably only the people who gave the cops some lip would have been given the "full treatment".

As JYE87 says, I'd suggest your own attitude comes into it in 99% of dealings with the constabulary. Like anybody, give them lip and they'll react negatively.

The moral of the story - if you're in NSW, make sure you store your equipment appropriately and be nice to the police :)

you forgot the most important part Duncs... the cops need to be nice to US!!!

Guest d0gm34t

i just rang the Liverpool local area command about the knife fines, i cant speak for all knifes out there but for my machete the police can NOT fine me for it if im going hunting...

The officers actual words where, "if you have a genuine reason to have it on you, and your not waving it around in public, then you can not be fined"

So in NSW if your going hunting and need it to skin or cut where ever your hunting, you shouldn't be fined.

As I said, as long as your reason is valid and applies to the situation you are in, it's legal.

For the record, pubs, clubs and schools etc are listed separately with double the penalty, but it's the same law in its meaning. If you have a genuine reason to carry a machete into a school, you can't be fined.
That being said, you are more likely to attract the attention of overprotective mothers who are likely to call the police and the reason had better be a good one.

Do note however that SOME specific knives are classed as prohibited weapons, including double edged knives (does a gutting hook count fall under that) or spring assisted opening knives.

You may also find that any knife that can be opened by one hand is classed as a flick knife.

This includes the Havlon knifes.

One guy in another pub imported some due the the cheaper price from off shore, only to have Customs confiscate them.

When he complained he was told by Customs that because they could be opened with one hand they fell under their flick knife policy.

Nothing consistent with this knife thing from what i can see.

Customs are a law unto themsleves in that regard and for some reason have created their own definiton of 'flick knife'to suit themselves.

Knife dealers in the states are very accomodating if you ask they will either tighten the pivot so it can't be open one handed or remove the thumb stud and ship it seperately.

Guest d0gm34t

Yeah, just like how pump action shotguns are different from pump action rim-fire and pump action centre-fire rifles.

Makes perfect sense. To a politician.

lol yeah and its not like you cant have the same effect with a lever shot gun... lol

Hollywood gun laws i call it.

Guest d0gm34t

You clearly haven't heard of the AA-12 then...

Remember, don't try any of that at home, he's a "Professional Russian"!!!

Mossberg 590 is better...