Spotting Scopes

Has anyone had any experience with the Konus brand spotting scopes?

Do you use a spotting scope? if ya do which brand, power and price bracket is it?

very keen on one for some long range glassing up into the faces, so sitting with bipod .

looking at a 20-60x100

Your thoughts?

WL

Hey WL,

I brought a Acuter 20-60x80 back around xmas time. It was not too badly priced (can't remember just how much) but seems OK, got a tripod from JB HiFi to go with it and all good to go. Only had it out a couple of times so far, haven't spotted a deer thru it yet but was watching a fox at a fair old distance the other day.

You're welcome to have a peek thru it one day. Optics and bird watching forums are a good source of info, those folk know their stuff.

Cheers,

Waldo

Never heard of the Konus spotting scope WL, I use a 20-60x80 in a Bushnell trophy XLT, mainly out on my range when im sighting rifles in or trying out new loads. Never used it out hunting, great for the range though and bought off Ebay for $200.00.

2014-06-25050359.jpg

I use a vortex viper hd 15-45x65. I've never used it in low light so cant comment about it in that respect but I can say its very clear and I've spotted mountain goats out to 2km away and was able to see them as clear as day. Personally I'd stay clear of big bulky spotters of low quality. I also wouldnt buy anything with more mag as its not needed for hunting large animals, its better to spend your cash on better quality. I brought it while it was on sale for $700 but it appears theyve gone up a fair bit to $900. Youll probably get it cheaper over seas though.

http://www.opticscentral.com.au/vortex-viper-hd-15-45x65-angled-spotting-scope.html

If you ever want to have a look at it I'm at Chiltern so you could borrow it for the day and take it up Mt Pilot to have a test if you want.

cheers guys,

seems the mate is looking at the viper, its 11-33x65 iirc. hes got morem ney than me though....

I like the price of the Bushnell, ill have to look at that.

yeah I got a bit hung up on a big objective.... seems it isn't really needed.

will keep researchin an seeing what people say about theirs.

Thanking you

WL

After using mine a few times I do mostly use the x20 power, at long distance winding up gets things a bit bigger but you don't actually see it any better (hope that makes sense).

A 100mm objective would be a very big scope! My 20-60x80 is a fairly sizeable unit, definately a park the ute walk a small distance set up a glass as opposed to whack it in your pack type thing and hike in. My line of thinking was on x20 with a 80mm lens I should get plenty of light in under less than favourable conditions.

Look thru as many as you can, it can only help.

Cheers,

Waldo

Its like anything with optics, a cheapy will give you a fuzzy image at even low zoom. A high end should give you a clear image from min to max zoom. The trick is finding what fits you and your needs, with a bit of research you may find a diamond in the rough.

For punching paper a good quality low mag will let you Id your hits better than a high power of low quality. Youll find as I did with alot of research for deer hunting 45x is more than is required.

Edited by AltonaHunter