Finally

optic

I'm getting ready to knock up some kitchen knives. It was time to re claim my work bench. All things dusty will be in the same area. With an exhort port to keep the dust down. Also getting ready for the paper wheels this week.3182627efb81f8fd4353ea11fecb2792.jpgcb855d5cb3ffdddac10d61849f02785c.jpg

• Like 1

A set of kitchen knives is on my to do list too. Might be awhile for me though, both of my sheds are chock full of errr..stuff aka shit if you asked my partners dad. I look forward to getting power to my workshop one day..lol.

What sort of steel/handle are you looking to use for the knives?

I thought i would either consult you or Noric about the steel, As for the handle matt. Im kind of keen on the Jarrah i have, with some nice pins through it.

I have a heap of jarra under cover. Destined for the heater. Do want some of it? Floor boards made in WA. Stamped Bunnings WA. I know that they are 50 years old.

i was aiming for a 3mm blade thickness. On the carvers down to 1 mm on the peelers.

Any ideas.

PS. Im lucky my wife is a Pom. She has no idea what i do in the shed. Or what it what.

• Like 1

I think most of your steel choice decisions making comes down to whether or not you can heat treat it yourself or send it off.

Noric is the man to talk to about that, he may be also able to put you onto a heat treater if needed.

Thanks for the offer of jarrah but Ive got alot of it already and other blocks for well over 100 knives, nearly all stabilised too :)

Your idea for the knife thickness sounds good to me, Id have an assortment from 3 down to 1mm. Only thing that might want to be thicker is a clever.

Ive got a bloody leather sofa up on its end in my shed and it'll probably be there til the missis gets her photography studio, Id much rather have a quad parked there.

I managed to get out in the shed today and clear an area for some work. Also gave the head on my lil milling machine an oil change so she's good to go again. Got a few knives at different stages of completion on the bench, looking forward to getting them done.

20150331_173856.jpg

• Like 1