Backcountry Packs For Backpack Hunting

cal

Hi Everyone

After peoples thoughts, advice and experience with larger capacity packs (75 plus litres) for backpack hunting and fishing. After something i can take on backpacking travels aswell and load up with a weeks worth of food and equipment. So far ive come to the stone glacier cirque 6200 http://www.schnees.com/product/Stone-Glacier-Cirque-6200/Stone-Glacier-Ultralight-Backpacks

around 100l capacity and weighs 4lbs. Solid reviews of all their gear. Also looked at the moroka 30 Alpine stalker 75, stoney creek trapper 60l because im not sure if the american stuff will be as durable in Australian scrub conditions., it looks like they are more comfortable and designed for longer treks and trips however. Looking at some of the packs by osprey like the aether aswell as marsupio and wilderness equipment. Anyone had any experience with this type of ultralight gear? so far ive upgraded the tent and sleeping mat which together weigh a touch over 2.5lbs/ Any advice or a point in the right direction would be sweet. Looking to get something soon as ive got a one week sambar hunt in 2 months or so and want to have all the equipment sorted by then

Cheers

The trouble with Big packs is that you tend to fill them up with stuff that you "might" need. Many people head out for a week with all their gear in a 60lt pack. I have a 55lt pack and it holds heaps.

Whistler

Ive got the moroka30 75L mk2 version backpack. Its really comfy on the back and has more pockets than you can poke a stick at. The mk3 version can also convert to a day bag which is another great feature. The zips are of high quality and the fabric is tough.

Im planning on a few trips this year too, just ordered an exped downmat 9 from fruugo. Some great prices on that site, we get shafted buying good gear locally.

I use the hunters element 'terrace' for day trips. I have samhunts pack and will take it away for gatta. If I get a chance to use it I'll let u know how it all goes.

I used to head out for a morning with pack and all the bits. Now I just carry basics and no pack. Hydrate before hunt.

Ive been using a Macpac 65L unit since the late 90s. It was actually designed for climbing/snow work.

The main thing is to get into a really good harness, no amount of gear will feel comfortable without a good harness,

It needs to support your load and stay well fitted whilst moving. Secondly it should keep your load secure and stable

BTW 100L is just ridiculous. If you plan well and have access to water even a 50L pack will work fine.

The less fiddly bits the better. All those pockets/ straps/ elastics/ mesh bits all snag on whatever youre passing through.

Multiple zips/ various compartments etc all just add spots for water to get through and another point of failure.

Focus on a well fitted harness and a simple design made with durable materials and you will be able to use it forever.

Ive been using a Macpac 65L unit since the late 90s. It was actually designed for climbing/snow work.

The main thing is to get into a really good harness, no amount of gear will feel comfortable without a good harness,

It needs to support your load and stay well fitted whilst moving. Secondly it should keep your load secure and stable

BTW 100L is just ridiculous. If you plan well and have access to water even a 50L pack will work fine.

The less fiddly bits the better. All those pockets/ straps/ elastics/ mesh bits all snag on whatever youre passing through.

Multiple zips/ various compartments etc all just add spots for water to get through and another point of failure.

Focus on a well fitted harness and a simple design made with durable materials and you will be able to use it forever.

Cheers will keep that in mind, 100l is aimed at packing an animal out and have to lug both hunting, flyfishing and camp set up around. Normally the pack im looking at compresses down to between 60-75l and can compress smaller if needed

have a look at the eberlestock just one pack thats what i use and its and unreal pack can be mad smaller if needed and then with undoing 2 clips and a zip you can double the size of the pack and it has a gun scabbard also a bow scabbard

https://www.eberlestock.com/J34%20Just%20One.htm

Agree 100%. As far as I know Eberlestock only have one aussie distributor, Platatac. I however got mine from Cabelas in the US and had it shipped to me in 5 business days. Love the pack it expands from about 40 L to 75L and can carry your gun if you're feeling lazy. If that's not enough space Eberlestock also make a thing that attaches onto it to expand it out another 50L.

• Like 1