GME UHFs

Lachy

I was reading the post about hand held UHF radios as i am looking at getting a set and left with more questions than i went in with :unsure: .

so...what am i looking for, i take it i am after a 5watt but what does that mean and whats the difference?

what features am i after, what range can be expected and what else do i need to know before i go into dicksmiths and look like a tool?

Cheers, Lachy :rolleyes:

My two bobs worth.Looking at watts.The more watts,the larger the coverage you will get.ie, better distance between units.I would also look to get ones with standard batteries,whether rechargable or alkeline so you can carry a spare set in your kit.Also you may want to use a headset,or a earpiece to cut down noise if your sculking around.Stick to 40 channel uhf as they are like bumholes,everybody's got one. SMITHY

The only disadvantage with going to 5 Watt is that it seriously reduces your battery life. If you don't actually hunt that far from your oppo, a 3watt unit might be better and get increased battery life...if you really need the range or the terrain is a little hilly ect, go for the 5 watt..

This is what you need:

http://www.gme.net.au/land/transceivers/tx6200.php

It is a true 5 watt unit & you can even listen to the coppers when you get home.

Shop around abit though. They are around $400. Small price to pay for safety. You can also get a bigger arial for it too.

I picked up a Uniden UHO75 5watt at xmas time.

40ch Uhf with the options of dropping back to 1 watt at the push of a button if you are in close range for a hunt with mates or 12-15kn range if out on your own.

12hr battery life (lithium rechargeable), waterproof and all the other usual features and very compact. I got the optional cigarette lighter charger to charge from the car on the go.

about $350, worth its weight in gold!!

Hp :D

i got a pair of uniden (ill get the code after) handhelds and was outraged by the loss of reception with the smallest of obsticles.

after talking to a few people im told its common with handhelds as they dont have all ot the metal surfaces of your car to project your signal.

not a bad unit in prime conditions (couple of k line of sight)

but not what i expected

We use hand helds in the Army Cadets in WA...they are great for chucking on your webbing, and using for radio comms practice. We have used all sorts of different ones, 5 / 3 / 1 watt, with them being not a lot different in thick bush (where we usually operate).

The other night we used our new 3 watt hand helds, range in bush was no better than about 500m to 1km - a lot less in rain, fog or high humidity. My boss is a fire control officer locally and has both UHF and VHF units in his ute. Both are very good quality units (no #### Smith ones) and are fitted professionally. He reckons the range is about a couple of ks for the UHF in bush, and the nearest town for the VHF (about 25-40 kms). In thick smoke (as he fights bush fire obviously), the range of both could be measured in under a few hundred metres.

Like the previous posters have said, it just depends on what radio it is, the power rating, and the environment it is used in. Like GPS's, spend more money on a good aerial - that is what matters. Mobile phones are a good example of this - the better ones in the bush have better aerials - the best ones being fitted to a car with a 9dB gain or better aerial.

Look at getting a unit with an aerial you can remove and replace with a better one - this will likely make more difference than anything else for the same power rating.

Woody_rod