Gun Safe modification

PWE76

Checking if anyone have modified a gun safe to be +150kg by adding weights to the bottom of the safe.

Main reason is you then do not need to bolt it to a surface.

Take a look at the requirements for your state storage laws to be sure it is done in a compliant manner. Generally the requirements are for the weight to be part of the actual safe, eg some plate welded on, not just some weight stacked in the bottom. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/08/2021 at 4:16 PM, Duncs said:

I've always bolted mine.

I know if I had to add 150kg to my safe, a few of my rifles wouldn't fit in anymore and I'd need another safe and another 150kg...

Good point

13 hours ago, Rifletuner said:

Take a look at the requirements for your state storage laws to be sure it is done in a compliant manner. Generally the requirements are for the weight to be part of the actual safe, eg some plate welded on, not just some weight stacked in the bottom. 

I was thinking in the line of making lead bricks with a hole to bolt it to the floor, so instead of bolting down, I bolt up to hold the lead bricks in place, but like Duncan’s said, check the height of your weapon.

i cannot bolt because I will be renting an unit in Melbourne, so 150kg safe or gun storage are my options