Poncho

Guest fossil

I've never worn one. But then again I either get wet or go home (or both). As an emergency survival thing, I have a plastic bag for game so I spose if worst come to worst I'd cut arm and head holes in it and use that.

The cheap plastic or nylon ones suck. They are noisy and get in the road, and aren't much chop for keeping you dry either. Better quality ones might suck a trifle less I guess, but I'm not tempted to try them when there's much better solutions available.

I quite like hunting in the rain, and for some species rainy weather is almost ideal. I've found that you can be quite dry and comfortable with a good coat made of some breathable membrane material covered in a silent fabric, together with knee-high gaiters and good boots and a hat with a wide brim (to keep raindrops out of your eyes and out of your collar). For about the past 10 years I've had a Huntech 4 Seasons Jacket which I'd highly recommend, but I don't know if this particular model is made any more: it has a zip-out membrane liner and also a zip-out fleece liner, and you can use it with either, both, or neither liner depending on conditions.

I always carry an emergency poncho, a clear plastic one that goes over my Realtree Hardwood camo. So you have the best of both worlds, dry and still hidden to your game. Gun fits up underneath and only the tip of the barrel gets wet. I use stainless hunting rifles so a little rain on the muzzle is no issue. I used it on Saturday when hunting and stayed nice and dry.

Edited by geeza

You get them from Bunnings, $8 each. Only if need be, but there always will be a time you get caught out in the rain. I dont like them, but its better then getting wet.

Poncho's are generally garb, they are a carry over of an antiquated design. If you just want one in your ruck for contingencies - then sure it's good have just in case. I wouldn't spend anymore than tinyted's bargain of $8 at Bunnings.

If you want to lighten your pocket get Goretex, Emphatex or equivilent. You can get these in most camo patterns, it'll last your life. Totally windproof, waterproof, breathable, etc... You can get then alot cheaper to nowadays. Check the finish on them though, some are noisy than others.

If you decide to get one I'll give you some more key features to get so it's an investment...

I have a good quality poncho that I bought from a camping store, its made from nylon and its great for bushwalking but it is too noisy for stalking

cheers

Len

They are to noisy.. I wore one in tassie fishing the freshwater lakes and the colder it got the more ridged the material became... I would just buy a good jacket.. I wear a swandri %100 wool these days...