Spotting Scopes

Ive been looking at some spotting scopes on the opticzone website, Im after one mainly for checking targets at the range.

I dont wont to spend much money because I wont use it all that often ( no more that $200 )

Im looking at the Burris spoters the (high country and landmark )

Does anyone own either of these to in any magnification?

And how do you find them? Or does someone have better option for me. Any info would be good thanx guys! :)

Mate i dunno anything about them really, but i do remember seeing some going on ebay for about $20 a couple of months ago.

I thought about getting one, put up a bid for $18 or something, got out bidded and it went for about $20.

I thought to myself "what do i want it for anyway" i just thought that it looked pretty good and had 20 or 40x mag and i thought for that price i should just get one. Not sure if they are much good but i think they would be alright for checking targets at the range.

I have been looking also as I am often at Silverdale and hiring one every time is costly and they only have 45x ones which at 200metres don't seem to be enough.... especially for .22 or .17hmr holes.

So I decided I'd need 60x but as it is only going to be used for the range I wasn't very worried about quality. I ended up with a barska. 20-75x I think. I read most spotting scopes die at their highest magnification so using it around 60 power should be no hassle and is enough magnification.

Although ordering from the optic zone previously I always had a good, easy run... but this time nothing went smoothly and complete lack of communication so I rang my bank and told them to cancel the order and went through ebay instead.

Only cost $140.00 with postage from the U.S so I'm happy with it. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...N:IT&ih=023

Xav

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm looking at getting a spotting scope.

I've found a couple on eBay and am trying to decide which to get.

One is a 20x50 scope with a "bench top" tripod. It is nice and compact. But I'm worried whether the 20x is enough magnification. Its price is $55 + P&P

The other is a 25-75x60 with a free standing tripod. It has plenty of magnification. But is bigger and most likely a lot heavier. Its price is $130 + P&P.

Both are available from an Aussie seller, I've dealt with before.

If the 20x50 is enough for 100m to 150m spotting, then I'd go with that.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by epitome

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm looking at getting a spotting scope.

I've found a couple on eBay and am trying to decide which to get.

One is a 20x50 scope with a "bench top" tripod. It is nice and compact. But I'm worried whether the 20x is enough magnification. Its price is $55 + P&P

The other is a 25-75x60 with a free standing tripod. It has plenty of magnification. But is bigger and most likely a lot heavier. Its price is $130 + P&P.

Both are available from an Aussie seller, I've dealt with before.

If the 20x50 is enough for 100m to 150m spotting, then I'd go with that.

Thanks for your input.

Epitome,

I would suggest the 20x in a spotting scope is not a spotting scope. As I'm sure you're aware mate you can get a lot of scopes 20x and above. You can also get them with objectives at 56mm so no gain there really either - IMO...

So, that leaves us with the 25-75 x 60, this sounds a lot better. What brand is it though? I would not buy one unless it was a 'known' brand. Otherwise first time you take it out and come back with moisture inside the tube you'll be kicking yourself!! $130 does sound a little cheap for quality. You can get some very good deals off eBay though?

Hope that helps, I know you posted ages ago, but I'm in and out of Australia now like swine flu. So, just trying to catch up.