Bush Knife

Ian James

Yep I have a couple of original 1968 issue machetes, unreal piece of kit. Very strong, heavy and dependable... Hardly use them though...

HEY IAN does planing on travelings states mean you are in the USA now or does it mean traveling interstate in Australia coz from what i gather you are overseas?(It helps if you put a bit of info inyour profile) most of the bush I have seen you can get trough without a knife to cut a path there is not really that much (jungle) type bush here and i don't know anyone who goes bush with a machete to cut a path coz it is not really necesary!!

For general track clearing in a couple of areas that we hunt that need a tidy up and when we go trout fishing and need to cut a path to the river we use the British Golok M65-M70 Army Machete

It is made of good steel is well balanced and the blade is 12 1/2 inches long

HEY IAN does planing on traveling states mean you are in the USA now or does it mean traveling interstate in Australia coz from what i gather you are overseas?

I'm talking about interstates in Australia.

So the machete is the favourite. But can you just take that in your hunting gear from one state to the other without having problems with border-police?

I was thinking of buying an old one when I get to Australia. Is this possible? or is it better to get me a new steel one?

thanks

Have a look at:

http://www.knivesaustralia.com.au/superseded-knives.html

Under Martindale - Birmingham England

I've seen parangs sold too from akc which would be my bush buster of choice because of the shape and functinality they were designed for cutting thru jungle growth. I have a classic style aust army machette and dont consider it very functional.

As far as legal req go I'm not sure. I always thought it's ok as long as your going to a destination where you'll be needing that knife/ machette. If your worried best be a member of the akc and be exempt from the anti- dagger, sword laws.

I'm talking about interstates in Australia.

So the machete is the favourite. But can you just take that in your hunting gear from one state to the other without having problems with border-police?

I was thinking of buying an old one when I get to Australia. Is this possible? or is it better to get me a new steel one?

thanks

Ian -- Knives aren't ( sort of ) restricted in Aus. You can't walk down the maino with the machete in hand but if your transiting between states with a heap of Hunting Gear -- the Machete isn't goin to cause you greif

Do we have Border Check Points ?? only in an out of Fruit and special crop areas i think they have Check points where you can't carry in outside fruits etc

The machete as everyone states is generally the best option. Ensure you get an ex-Australian Army one, maintain it and it will outlast you.

Just consider these ponts though;

Hacking through primary or secondary jungle is friggin' hard work. It is much easier to snip away with SECATEURS.

This is not only more economy of effort it is heaps more quiet?

What are you hunting that you think will wait there as they hear a human hacking through the jungle, or very thick bush, towards them. The vast majority of our jungle is in NQLD, the primary pest within is that bacon!! They will not sit and listen to this. Remember because they suffer from poor eye sight; they're other senses are very acute. I notice a lot of difference shooting a pig out west to in the jungle...

Happy Jack has a good point as well; you can't and to honest shouldn't go through our jungle/bush/forrests hacking paths with a machete? I'm not a greenie, but it is unnecessary.