Gps

mickduck

The short answers is yes - you can use any GPS anywhere in the world, but.....IF you buy a US designated GPS it will contain basemaps for thew country from which you purchased. This is not so much a problem for units that use other mapping files over the top basemaps, but for basic, no mapping units that rely on basemaps, you will find there is either no data for Australia or what data there is will be very minimal compared to what is loaded onto an Australian designated unit. You cannot update or modify basemaps either as they are written to the EPROM or brains of the unit.

Cheers,

Brett

The short answers is yes - you can use any GPS anywhere in the world, but.....IF you buy a US designated GPS it will contain basemaps for thew country from which you purchased. This is not so much a problem for units that use other mapping files over the top basemaps, but for basic, no mapping units that rely on basemaps, you will find there is either no data for Australia or what data there is will be very minimal compared to what is loaded onto an Australian designated unit. You cannot update or modify basemaps either as they are written to the EPROM or brains of the unit.

Cheers,

Brett

thanks brett

Has anyone bought from USA, downloaded the Aus mapping files and used it here?

Does it work fine.

Mick, if the unit primarily relies on loaded maps to operate, you wont have any problem buying a US unit and putting Aus maps on it. The units essentially are the same world wide. I have owned a an older Street Pilot 2610 which I got off eBay USA and loaded Aus maps with no problems at all.

Check out these guys www.ja-gps.com.au

I found their service crap but their prices made it worth the minor frustration...

Could be cheaper from O/S of course - this is just the cheapest place I found in Melb.

Yeah I just bought a Garmin 60CSx GPS, off them.

I went to Anaconda and they had them for $499 i told them i can get it for $430 so they rang up Prestige and confirmed the price and matched it plus %10 off so i paid about $380 for mine Hahahaaa