Waterproof Clothing

hey fellas just wondering, when out in the scrub hunting how waterproof do you demand that your clothing be?in particular pants? just curious as im looking into getting some new pants as the ones i have, whilst good are not perfect! anyone have any recommendations? thanks for the input fellas

It really depends what you are doing, if stalking thru the high country with lots of tree cover and constantly moving (albeit slowly) I've spent all day in the rain with just cotton type clothing with a long sleeve polypro top under. Keep lunch break, etc. to a min. as once you stop you chill off quickly, if sitting and watching game trails in the same conditions you would need to stay "dry" otherwise you would get uncomfortable real quick! The main thing is to keep the body core temperature up, otherwise your body will start to shut itself down and opportunities will be lost. Remember a 1% drop in body temp increases chances of picking up a virus etc. by 10%.

Cheers,

Waldo

I have Rain Swade, Rain Swade Evolution and Under Armour for wet weather hunting.

The Plain Rain wade will keep you dry from a shower but hard rain you will get a little damp but for the most will be right, its fairly quiet and durable.

The Rain swade evolution is a little more dry in the wet weather comes with a slightly bigger price tag but is fairly quiet as well. I have walked through hip high soaked grass and stayed dry.

Under Armour is premium gear and is 100% water proof, this stuff is top of the line, very quiet for 100% dry gear and is very durable. I went with this gear after comparing it to gortex and it was quieter than gortex.

The thing you have to remember with the rain gear is the cheaper stuff will be noiser and breathe less, I have found that you get what you pay for with this type of gear.

Nxt season im going to try using thermal pants and shorts. Wet pants are a pain, climbing over logs, bending etc..

Thermals will dry quick and easy to move in when wet.

This is a common method in New Zealand,and works well when doing a big climb.I would stay out of black berries though,as I can't see the thermals giving your legs much protection from the pointy bits.

This is a common method in New Zealand,and works well when doing a big climb.I would stay out of black berries though,as I can't see the thermals giving your legs much protection from the pointy bits.

is that thermals on their own with no pants over em? wouldnt your old fella hang out the pissflap?

hey fellas just wondering, when out in the scrub hunting how waterproof do you demand that your clothing be?in particular pants? just curious as im looking into getting some new pants as the ones i have, whilst good are not perfect! anyone have any recommendations? thanks for the input fellas

mate have a look at huntec gear just got some for myself and a dont think im going to look

back

is that thermals on their own with no pants over em? wouldnt your old fella hang out the pissflap?

Thermals, Uncle Steve, not longjohns!

And they wear shorts over the top.

But if its cold enough to wear thermals, maybe that wouldn't happen with longjohns either :D

"thermals" are a 100% cotton close fitting garment, a bit like leggings, only meant for REAL MEN to wear.

Get in them in pants and tops, the idea behind them is the natural fibres help keep the warm air close to your body and therefore keep you warm. A bit like a wetsuit does.

You stick your underwear on, then pull the thermals over the top and then put on your fav camo's on. You feel like a woman to begin with, but then you don't even notice them other them the warm feeling you get.

The polypro thermals are all the go, I also do a bit of clay target shooting and hate shooting with a jacket or jumper so all thru winter regardless of how cold and crappy it may be I wear a polypro thermal with a flannelette shirt over. During a hunt in one of the SF this year we had 3-4 inches of snow on the ground and hunted all day with the themal and a camo shirt on the top, only got chilly on the dark side of 4PM if you stood stationary for a while.

Cheers,

Waldo

Under Armour is premium gear and is 100% water proof, this stuff is top of the line, very quiet for 100% dry gear and is very durable. I went with this gear after comparing it to gortex and it was quieter than gortex.

The thing you have to remember with the rain gear is the cheaper stuff will be noiser and breathe less, I have found that you get what you pay for with this type of gear.

Where did you get your under armour wet weather gear from

Waldo: Whats the go with the polypropylene thermals? Are they meant to be better than wool/cotton (whatever the other ones are)?

They sell them at Rays Outdoors for $30 (bottoms)

Not sure if I should get them or the other ones

Waldo: Whats the go with the polypropylene thermals? Are they meant to be better than wool/cotton (whatever the other ones are)?

They sell them at Rays Outdoors for $30 (bottoms)

Not sure if I should get them or the other ones

I've just alway's used the polypro, great stuff and pretty cheap. I have a short sleeve top and a couple of long sleeve tops. Being so compact is a bonus if it warms up, strip them off and shove them in your back pack. Short sleeve top comes in handy during the start and end of the deer "season" long sleeve thru the middle, I reckon there's been some mornings when it's been -3 or -4 first thing in the morning and I've worn a jacket over the top when getting ready at the ute, then taken the jacket off before starting to stalk and i've been fine.

Cheers,

Waldo

PS.

Never worried about the bottoms, if you can keep the core (top half) of your body warm the rest will look after itself pretty well. The keep warmth in and drain moisture away so the body stays dryer longer.

Edited by Waldo