Gun Safe Brain Fart

Zardez

i just upgraded my 5 gun buffalo safe to a 10 gun safe bought from ebay for $300, things a beast of a safe, and sold my old one for $10 less then i paid so ebay is your friend mate, 1 swift hit with a sledgie and your into one of those cheap tool boxes or as u suggested fridges, i am only on cheap too for rifles as all my rifles so far havnt cost over $600 but that dosnt excuse to buy or fab a cheap safe thats easy to break into, criminals are cunning and when theres a will theres a way

So where do you guys keep your safes, outside in the shed or under the verandah or something as comments about concerns crooks with sledgies breaking in. If you have a fair bit of capital tied up in firearms you'd store your "safe" indoors and install a back to base alarm, then the crook that breaks into your house has to mot only put up with the shrill of the alarm

neighbours checking out what the disturbance is and the police/security dropping around tiggered by the activation.

Doesn't leave much time to clean you out.

So where do you guys keep your safes, outside in the shed or under the verandah or something as comments about concerns crooks with sledgies breaking in. If you have a fair bit of capital tied up in firearms you'd store your "safe" indoors and install a back to base alarm, then the crook that breaks into your house has to mot only put up with the shrill of the alarm

neighbours checking out what the disturbance is and the police/security dropping around tiggered by the activation.

Doesn't leave much time to clean you out.

well unfortunetly some of us dont live in areas with police/security sitting on call incase ur safes gonna get broken into.... and if you think a simple alarm and a few nosey neighbours are gonna stop some doped out crooks wanting to steal ur rifles for cash well then ur dreaming, only a few weeks ago a fella had his firearms stolen, in the illawarra alone, 27 firearms where stolen last year, so if old mate here thinks a fridge or chepo lockers gonna stop some crooks well he's dreamin.

Let's be honest, if someone wants in, they'll get in a good safe only takes a bit longer if someone is prepared to break in, I think the best method of defense is keep the safe in a safe place, and be very careful who you tell.

well unfortunetly some of us dont live in areas with police/security sitting on call incase ur safes gonna get broken into.... and if you think a simple alarm and a few nosey neighbours are gonna stop some doped out crooks wanting to steal ur rifles for cash well then ur dreaming, only a few weeks ago a fella had his firearms stolen, in the illawarra alone, 27 firearms where stolen last year, so if old mate here thinks a fridge or chepo lockers gonna stop some crooks well he's dreamin.

Added security to compliment my cheapass locker includes sturdy locked front high gates, dogs, proper doors not these things made of papermache and window locks, and I do have good neighbours.

If some one is going to rip you off a egay safe won't be much good either, a jimmy bar will take it off the wall and most of them are so light that you can pick them up and walk out with them. Into the asshats car and he can open it at home

And last but not least insurance.

Added security to compliment my cheapass locker includes sturdy locked front high gates, dogs, proper doors not these things made of papermache and window locks, and I do have good neighbours.

If some one is going to rip you off a egay safe won't be much good either, a jimmy bar will take it off the wall and most of them are so light that you can pick them up and walk out with them. Into the asshats car and he can open it at home

And last but not least insurance.

mate if you wanna tell me how special your safe setup is then PM me rather then ranting on the public forum. The post was to help out someone about his safe, not to here how no one will break into yours

Edited by keith-longarms

Instead of starting a new topic i thought i may aswell ask here.

What are the legalities in regards to glass (perspex?) wooden gun cabinets in Aus?

We have a nice games room at home that a glass gun cabinet would look very nice in. southerner style :D

One like this:

600.jpg

Watching the movie shooter the other day and his gun cabinet caught my eye also. Would that be legal in Aus?

Cheers

Huffy

I dunno but it is a very nice look!

Probably need to call the registry. I'd say that normal glass would be a definite no but if you got some sort of heavy duty, very thick, anti-break stuff you might get the nod.

Let us know what you find out.

mate if you wanna tell me how special your safe setup is then PM me rather then ranting on the public forum. The post was to help out someone about his safe, not to here how no one will break into yours

Mate it was in response to your comment that my cheapass locker couldn't keep #### out, so because I disagree with your view and provide an explanation it becomes ranting, as for where I am find me, Adelaide as in metro area is large enough.

In response to the OP question , yes there are alternatives to a safe, in SA a cheap ass locker is compliant with cat A & B , if you choose to spend more money for your own peace of mind then good onya.

Edited by Topar

Instead of starting a new topic i thought i may aswell ask here.

What are the legalities in regards to glass (perspex?) wooden gun cabinets in Aus?

We have a nice games room at home that a glass gun cabinet would look very nice in. southerner style :D

One like this:

600.jpg

Watching the movie shooter the other day and his gun cabinet caught my eye also. Would that be legal in Aus?

Cheers

Huffy

You can do this basically it involves you running a cable through the trigger guards and the cable is secured to the wall on both ends - thats a basic description it is a bit more involved than that

• Like 1

Mate has his collection in an open gun rack secured to the wall, he has trigger locks and a HD plastic coated cable similar to those one you get for pushbikes through the guards and fixed to the wall. He also has a clamp arrangement on the top rest.

Has been inspected by SAPOL and passed.