Gun Safe Brain Fart

Zardez

ok, so i could be totally wrong here but

what if i where to buy an old fridge remove all the internals put a dead lock or two on it reckon it would (or even come close to) an acceptable safe

ok, so i could be totally wrong here but

what if i where to buy an old fridge remove all the internals put a dead lock or two on it reckon it would (or even come close to) an acceptable safe

Bolted to the ground or wall it would be legal but it's still just sheet metal over foam with external hinges.

cheers

yeah - I'm with Adam22.250. I wouldn't be putting my pride and joy in it. Way too easy to break into.

If you get a conscientious inspector, they'd probably fail it. The hinges would be the first thing to get their attention.

I wouldn't. If you're like me, you have too much money tied up in your guns, to warrant skimping on the safe.

Why store $5,000+ of guns in a "safe" that isn't?

There's an old racing saying that goes, "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet." I think a similar line could be used for gun safes.

Just as well I'm not like you then, :P

I'm an apprentice painter, so I earn crapola all

first gun will be about $500

I'm not curious as tohow safe it is, without some good tools and planned attempt

nobody is gonna get into a fridge, that lives in my room in a hurry, especially if they don't know it's there

my question is, if I changed the hinges, would the cops accept it as a gun safe?

How would I organize an inspection

You asked for an opinion on whether it would be acceptable or not. I gave you my opinion, which is that I don't think it would be acceptable. It would certainly not be passed by the police over here in WA, that's for sure.

Would you be likely to buy more rifles or shotguns in the future?? If so, do it right the first time.

cheapest one ive seen on ebay is $400 i just dont have that kind of money at the moment, this would probably be a temporary couple of years 22 safe, until im earning more than 90 cents an hour, im still not sure why you think breaking into a modyfied fridge would be easy?

(sorry if my post came across harsh before epitome was said lightheartedly in my head, just read it back didnt read the same)

That's ok mate.

I don't know if they are still available, but my first safe was a 2 gun top loader made from a gas cylinder. It was very heavy and strong, yet only cost me $150 to buy.

See if they are still on the market perhaps.

BTW - I still have it as a spare.

what about a locker? like one of those ones from the american movies in highschools?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Single-Metal-Locker_W0QQitemZ180492592127QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Storage?hash=item2a063263ff

for example (dirt cheap) obviously i get one a little better condition, maybe put some steel rods on the inside for extra strength?

If you read the thread on here called "Firearms stolen", you'll find that someone broke into a locker and stole a blokes guns while he was asleep in the house.

Here:

Firearms Stolen Thread

ahhh, you raise a lot of expensive important points mate :P

he had padlocks on his, nothing a cheap set of bolt cutters wouldnt fix i'd put dead bolts on mine

and re-inforce it with steel rods

I'd be going the steel locker before the fridge, Zardez. You could easily poke a screwdriver through the thin wall of the fridge but not the locker.

Even though the locker is "marginal", its still better. If you can reinforce in then that'd be a good idea.

At least the locker would pass the all-important inspection.

Scorpion Global 5 gun safe with digital keypad with key override seperate ammo compartment ........$275.00

Mate, a fridge can be hit with an axe and opened up in a flash, don't do it. You would be better off building one out of 50mm thick hardwood than using a bloody fridge!! :lol:

what about a locker? like one of those ones from the american movies in highschools?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Single-Metal-Locker_W0QQitemZ180492592127QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Storage?hash=item2a063263ff

for example (dirt cheap) obviously i get one a little better condition, maybe put some steel rods on the inside for extra strength?

Good enough for me as that where my gears stored in. E-mailed SAPOL before refurbishing it and was told that for A & B it was ok and send me the regs.

4 x dynabolted into the wall inside my house with a back to base alarm.