Uhf Portable Radio

Pitcha

UHF Portable Radio looking at buying two any recommendations people.

Also what sort of battery life do they usually have.

Any help appreciated.

Regards Pitcha

I bought a GME TX6100 a few weeks ago. Its a 5 watt model same as the ones you put in your car. Battery lasts about 24hr while scanning. You can change it to 1 watt if you are close by others with a radio to save power. It comes with a separate microphone, so you attach the radio to you belt and the mic can sit on your shoulder like you see the cops do. It comes with a car charger and a desk charger all for $265. The bloke at the shop said in ideal conditions (flat country) you could send and receive from up to 10-13km on the 5 watt setting. And its Australian made.

Edited by michaeljp

Len, you can get those 5W UHF on eBay for around $150!

I got a 3w cheapo one and it is pretty bad. Doesn't turn on and you need to remove battery. It also doesn't have adjustable squelch. If I was going to do it again I would buy the twin pack ones (Motorola) off eBay. They sell for around $170 with chargers.

I'm sure you can - but I spent alot of time researching before buying and I am very happy with what I bought and if I was going to buy another 5W handheld I would buy another of the same

You get what you pay for :)

Thanks Len that the sort of info I'm after mate.

So do you think its well worth spending the extra money on the 5 watt as aposed to the 3 watt?

I bought a GME TX6100 a few weeks ago. Its a 5 watt model same as the ones you put in your car. Battery lasts about 24hr while scanning. You can change it to 1 watt if you are close by others with a radio to save power. It comes with a separate microphone, so you attach the radio to you belt and the mic can sit on your shoulder like you see the cops do. It comes with a car charger and a desk charger all for $265. The bloke at the shop said in ideal conditions (flat country) you could send and receive from up to 10-13km on the 5 watt setting. And its Australian made.

Cheers mate, hey where did you pick yours up from mate?

I got a 3w cheapo one and it is pretty bad. Doesn't turn on and you need to remove battery. It also doesn't have adjustable squelch. If I was going to do it again I would buy the twin pack ones (Motorola) off eBay. They sell for around $170 with chargers.

Mate is this what your talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-MOTOROLA-SX709R-2-WATT-UHF-CB-TWO-WAY-RADIOS-/200464487275?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Electronics_Radio_Equipment&hash=item2eac9d536b

Depends what your after mate, but go a 5 watt if you can afford it. Have a GME6200 myself, a great unit. 40 channels, 20 extra listen only channels, scan, group scan, squelch, hi/lo, sleep mode, Check em' out!

Thanks for the advise mate and if you don't mind where and how much was yours buddy.

ive got the top of the line uniden handheld 5w and its rubbish.

cost a fortune and i wouldve been better off buying a decent car unit.

When I was buying mine the two that were recommended to me were Icom and Vertex and the Vertex was the more robust unit and was the recommended unit - better dust sealing and waterproof

I bought a handheld which I can connect to a larger external aerial when using it in the car. It allows me to walk up to the top of a hill if I want to get more range if I can't drive up there and also to take it with me on my quad again I can connect it to a larger external aerial.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the uniden - had an issue with a uniden car unit and after sales service once so I won't buy another one

Thanks Len that the sort of info I'm after mate.

So do you think its well worth spending the extra money on the 5 watt as aposed to the 3 watt?

Yes I do - remember that you want range out of your radio and power means more range if using the same aerial

Also some cheaper units even though they may have more watts will not perform better than a better quality lower powered radio

That is a good quality 3 watt unit may outperform a cheaper 5 watt unit

Len: This is the eBay one. $150 for a 5w unit. All the china ones are the same from my research. Except these are the cheapest by far

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BLACK-5W-UHF-CB-OMDI-TRANSCIEVER-CB-RADIO-FULL-RANGE-/200463778723?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Electronics_Radio_Equipment&hash=item2eac9283a3

That link to the Motorola twin pack is the one i would get if i needed a couple for the scrub

From knock around use the GME and ICOM 5 watt jobs are excellent tough units, with very nice clarity in send/recieve both in timber and open paddocks.

The Unidens are cheap for a reason, their performance is cheap.

I have a GME in the car and would buy the GME 5 Watt Hand held if I were to get one they are a great unit and if looked after will last you a long time i am with you Len you get what you pay for i prefer to pay the extra for known brand that are proven

Especially as one day, your life might just depend on it.

Thanks for the advise mate and if you don't mind where and how much was yours buddy.

No probs mate, did some digging and hope this helps. Brought the unit at Wow Sight&Sound Feb '08 for $345.00. They are selling at the moment for $458.00. Yes, they will do you a good deal which is hard to beat, just ask for their best price. I had a GME TX3000 in my vehicle for 14 years until it died last year(screen sh!t itself :blink: ) and replaced it with a UNIDEN 500SX which was $310.00 and paid $265.00 at the same store. Have also had a UNIDEN hand held scanner for about three years now, and very happy with all units. :)